LA Sheriff Challenges LeBron To Put Up Reward for Two Deputies Shot in Line of Duty

Sure it is.

It is quite common.
I don't know about common. It's not unusual, but not common.

Overall, it's still not a great strategy. You're basically saying they're not able to solve the crimes through normal investigation. Most murders don't have rewards associated with them.

LeBron could still support the shot deputies by offering part of the reward and not support the sheriff, right?
Sure, but I'm sure he'd want to make sure people know he's doing it for them and not because the sheriff asked, though. At the same time, I'm not sure anyone else is bringing this up if the sheriff doesn't ignorantly 'challenge' him to donate.

The incidents aren't, but, now that the sheriff has called LeBron out, the people "involved" in both incidents are related to both.
That was my point. NBA stars are a pretty closed circle/network. The sheriff's mishandling of the Kobe incident is clearly going to influence how other NBA stars are going to react to this sheriff.

That was my point. NBA stars are a pretty closed circle/network. The sheriff's mishandling of the Kobe incident is clearly going to influence how other NBA stars are going to react to this sheriff.
Seems kind of petty of the stars, don't you think?

Seems kind of bush league by the sheriff, don't you think?

I don't necessarily think it's petty not to trust this sheriff based on his previous actions.
I guess I'm not familiar with what he did wrt Kobe. But to not want to help out in this situation, because of whatever happened, would be immature and petty. But then, Lebron has been almost completely uninformed about all of this stuff, and the stances he has taken for criminals are really not defensible. So I'm not surprised he wouldn't help out here.

I guess I'm not familiar with what he did wrt Kobe. But to not want to help out in this situation, because of whatever happened, would be immature and petty. But then, Lebron has been almost completely uninformed about all of this stuff, and the stances he has taken for criminals are really not defensible. So I'm not surprised he wouldn't help out here.
Ask yourself, if this sheriff/department handled an incident involving your family or friends the way they did the Kobe incident, would you be super excited to want to respond to his requests?

Ask yourself, if this sheriff/department handled an incident involving your family or friends the way they did the Kobe incident, would you be super excited to want to respond to his requests?

Actually I would look at it as an opportunity to show how much of a bigger person I am. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand here. Put petty difference aside and step in to help out.

Actually I would look at it as an opportunity to show how much of a bigger person I am. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand here. Put petty difference aside and step in to help out.
I highly doubt that.

There's also no shortage of support, monetarily and otherwise, for this case. LeBron's involvement will have zero impact on the case being solved. This was a media grab by the sheriff, who should be focusing on doing his job and better overseeing his officers.

I highly doubt that.

There's also no shortage of support, monetarily and otherwise, for this case. LeBron's involvement will have zero impact on the case being solved. This was a media grab by the sheriff, who should be focusing on doing his job and better overseeing his officers.
LOL, "you highly doubt that" That is hilarious.

To suggest that it would have zero impact, would only be true if offering rewards doesn't help solve crimes. And if it doesn't, I would have to ask why police departments waste their time doing so.

LOL, "you highly doubt that" That is hilarious.

To suggest that it would have zero impact, would only be true if offering rewards doesn't help solve crimes. And if it doesn't, I would have to ask why police departments waste their time doing so.
There's already a reward being offered. The law of diminishing returns applies here. The difference between $200k and $300k or $400k will be pretty minimal.

Also, I've heard from friends in law enforcement that rewards are often a mixed bag. Maybe you get a lead that proves to be helpful, but they also get a ton of unreliable, unqualified leads from people hoping to cash in that they then have to waste time and resources on. At some level, the reward strategy is a PR move by local law enforcement to create the impression they are doing "something" and alleviate public criticism.

Sure, but I'm sure he'd want to make sure people know he's doing it for them and not because the sheriff asked, though. At the same time, I'm not sure anyone else is bringing this up if the sheriff doesn't ignorantly 'challenge' him to donate.
A simple statement to the fact he is against violence against LEO would help when he offers up part of the reward. Clearly state that is the reason and we should all want an end to these situations. If he wants to trash the sheriff at the same time, go ahead. I would advise him to take the high road.

A simple statement to the fact he is against violence against LEO would help when he offers up part of the reward. Clearly state that is the reason and we should all want an end to these situations. If he wants to trash the sheriff at the same time, go ahead. I would advise him to take the high road.
So, we're holding a private citizen to a higher standard than a law enforcement official?

There's already a reward being offered. The law of diminishing returns applies here. The difference between $200k and $300k or $400k will be pretty minimal.

Also, I've heard from friends in law enforcement that rewards are often a mixed bag. Maybe you get a lead that proves to be helpful, but they also get a ton of unreliable, unqualified leads from people hoping to cash in that they then have to waste time and resources on. At some level, the reward strategy is a PR move by local law enforcement to create the impression they are doing "something" and alleviate public criticism.
Really, the law of diminishing returns. I have to assume that the people who would know something about the person who did this, might disagree with you. You see, it isn't likely that they would agree with your sentiment that doubling the reward isn't significant. And additional $100,000 dollars wouldn't be insignificant in their life.

Sort of inappropriate for the Sheriff to ask this, but sticking his nose where it does not belong is a message to LeBum to stop doing the same.

TKFA could do an incredible amount of good if he so choose, but instead has decided to sow fear.

Really, the law of diminishing returns. I have to assume that the people who would know something about the person who did this, might disagree with you. You see, it isn't likely that they would agree with your sentiment that doubling the reward isn't significant. And additional $100,000 dollars wouldn't be insignificant in their life.
I think the person or persons with legitimate information would share it for $200k just as readily as they would for $300k. The difference between $10k and $200k is probably significant enough to matter but not at this level. Again, due to diminishing returns, you're probably only getting additional unreliable/dead-end leads that burn up department resources by adding more money to the reward amount at this point.

The LA Sherriff is a proven corrupt fraud.
Publicly asking an one individual citizen for reward money is a crap move.
Lebron has already publicly stated multipole times that he condemns riots and violence of all kinds.
Lebron's charitable and philanthropic contributions are massive.
Lebron should publicly tell the sheriff to screw himself.

I think the person or persons with legitimate information would share it for $200k just as readily as they would for $300k. The difference between $10k and $200k is probably significant enough to matter but not at this level. Again, due to diminishing returns, you're probably only getting additional unreliable/dead-end leads that burn up department resources by adding more money to the reward amount at this point.
You could be right. But we have wandered a bit off subject here. We have gone from discussing if the Sheriff should ask Lebron for help, to what he is asking, isn't going to help anyway. I'm sure Lebron could figure out someway to help out.