Cincinnati Public Schools to Host "City Championships" in Football

EHS 2001

From WCPO's Mike Dyer:
The Cincinnati Public Schools athletics program plans to host city championships in football and girls volleyball this fall for schools who aren't participating in the Ohio High School Athletic Association postseason.

"We allowed and gave our coaches the opportunity to assess — coming back now — is it in their schools, their student-athletes' best interest to enter the state tournament or not?" CPS athletics manager Josh Hardin told WCPO Wednesday morning. "And if it was not, then our staff has been working hard to develop a city championship in those sports. So we would be looking to have our teams that are ready and prepared and it's in their best interest to compete in the OHSAA state tournament and those others compete in a city tournament with us."

The start of the football and volleyball seasons would help prepare for seeding, and the last weeks of the season would be completed with a bracket-style tournament.

Cool idea. From what it sounds like the teams opting into the ohsaa tournament are not eligible to be apart of the "City Championship". I'm assuming schools like Taft, Withrow, Hughes, Aiken will all play in the ohsaa tourney. You could potentially have Shroder, Gamble, West Hi, Woodward, and Riverview East all be battling it out!

Cool idea. From what it sounds like the teams opting into the ohsaa tournament are not eligible to be apart of the "City Championship". I'm assuming schools like Taft, Withrow, Hughes, Aiken will all play in the ohsaa tourney. You could potentially have Shroder, Gamble, West Hi, Woodward, and Riverview East all be battling it out!
I think Taft will be the only one in OHSHAA tourney. I would put money on it because they are the only ones capable of winning a playoff game. They were the first CPS team to win a playoff game last season since CAPE. I don't see Withrow, Hughes, or Aiken playing in state playoffs. They would all get more kids/bragging rights by beating the other high schools. Whoever wins the battle of CPS high schools is going to get a ton of transfers from the other schools.

I think Taft will be the only one in OHSHAA tourney. I would put money on it because they are the only ones capable of winning a playoff game. They were the first CPS team to win a playoff game last season since CAPE. I don't see Withrow, Hughes, or Aiken playing in state playoffs. They would all get more kids/bragging rights by beating the other high schools. Whoever wins the battle of CPS high schools is going to get a ton of transfers from the other schools.

I'm fine with this but I think they should allow the kids to vote on whether they play in this or the OHSAA. Don't tell them what would mean more.

Then I say go for it. I think it'll be something that they'll remember. But I'd hate for an Administrator to make the decision for the kids on this.

Cincinnati should follow the setup in the Akron City Series. Teams will play each other first 3 weeks then enter playoffs. If they lose they finish conference games and best 2 teams available not in state playoffs play in league title game.

Screw OHSAA, top teams across the state should do this, have their own tourney, collect what tix. money is available split it among the teams and also share any streaming money available. Their would be a lot of interest in a Coldwater - Kirtland match up or Marion Local - Ironton game. Top D - 1, D - 2 teams could play each other, why let OHSAA have all the money. It is a messed up year anyways.

How much money? I will take that bet.

Serious question as I haven’t been following along. Why would a school opt out of state tourney to play in a local one?

Would they be trying to stay safe from C-19, is it financial/travel cost, or other?

Serious question as I haven’t been following along. Why would a school opt out of state tourney to play in a local one?

Would they be trying to stay safe from C-19, is it financial/travel cost, or other?
This year the home team will collect no ticket revenue or stadium rental fee. The visiting team gets no travel reimbursement.

ALL money goes to the OHSAA.

That's why they decided to let everyone into the playoffs. Even more games to collect on with small crowds. The teams at the bottom of the regions aren't stupid. Most of these schools are looking at 1-5 or 0-6 records and aren't competitive against even average competition.

I wish everyone would opt out if you are in a league, play out your league schedule and crown a true league champion. Let the independent schools if they want participate in OHSAA tourney. Screw OHSAA.

Last edited:
This year the home team will collect no ticket revenue or stadium rental fee. The visiting team gets no travel reimbursement.

ALL money goes to the OHSAA.

That's why they decided to let everyone into the playoffs. Even more games to collect on with small crowds. The teams at the bottom of the regions aren't stupid. Most of these schools are looking at 1-5 or 0-6 records and aren't competitive against even average competition.

I agree, top flight healthcare and McMansions for all!!!

First off, let me say I am no lover of the OHSAA and, in particular, their decision-making as to where to place championships/playoffs. Having said that, you do realize that the OHSAA needs money to operate, right?? Further, you also realize it's a non-profit organization, that there are not any "fat cats" sitting around getting rich, and pretty much everyone working for the OHSAA really just wants to help kids compete for championships? Finally, you realize money doesn't grow on trees and the OHSAA can't just print it up?? (By the way, even when you are the U.S. government, while you can print money, you can't print the wealth that backs it up. Think about that the next time you hope the government sends you a check for $1,500 that somebody (your children probably) will have to pay back someday with significant interest.)

It's like the people that constantly rail against the NCAA. They don't seem to realize the OHSAA IS the high schools - the NCAA IS the colleges.

In any event, the OHSAA is just collecting the money it needs to do what it does. The fairest way is to take that money from the championships themselves - otherwise they will simply have to charge the member institutions more. Isn't it fairer that the people that are getting the most benefit from what the OHSAA does be the ones to pay the most??? THAT is exactly what happens when they take the money from the championships (i.e. the team's that go the farthest "pay" the most by not getting the revenue generated from their games).

Last edited:

I already explained this. CPS schools know that they can't compete in the playoffs. Why go into a "playoff" after playing 3 games, with zero scrimmages against other teams to get utterly demoralized?

In Cincinnati Public, you can choose any high school to attend. Each high school offers different programs. So the kids are not bound by geographical boundaries within CPS to attend one school or another. Whoever wins this little district Tourney will increase the number of players in their program by a significant margin. With football numbers dropping across the district, this is an absolute no-brainer. That winning school will bolster their program so that they can hopefully make a legitimate shot at making the playoffs next season. The CPS coaches are playing the long-game with this one.

Walnut will also probably decide to join the tournament. My fault for not including them. Like many people, I often forget that they are a CPS school.

Who else do you think will decide to play in the OHSAA playoffs just out of curiosity?
think Withrow could possibly be competitive this year. may not win but think they would compete in that first game.

Update. Hearing that as far as CMAC schools Aiken, Hughes, and Taft opt in. Withrow did not. Also Walnut Hills and Clark Montessori opt in.

Last edited:
I am amazed by the hatred that some people have with the OHSAA. They are not a corporation who is in sports for money and power. They are the high schools of Ohio. The schools elect their representatives to the OHSAA. The schools pass the rules. There are some full-time employees of the OHSAA but they simply enforce the rules the majority of schools pass. I have dealt with a number of OHSAA employees and I have always been treated well. The attendance rules are not their rules, they are the rules of the Health Dept. If you didn't have the OHSAA, there would be no control. There has to be guidance from somewhere because it has been proven that there are a number of people involved in sports who can't control themselves.

Walnut will also probably decide to join the tournament. My fault for not including them. Like many people, I often forget that they are a CPS school.

Who else do you think will decide to play in the OHSAA playoffs just out of curiosity?
An inside source tells me Hughes will.

First off, let me say I am no lover of the OHSAA and, in particular, their decision-making as to where to place championships/playoffs. Having said that, you do realize that the OHSAA needs money to operate, right?? Further, you also realize it's a non-profit organization, that there are not any "fat cats" sitting around getting rich, and pretty much everyone working for the OHSAA really just wants to help kids compete for championships? Finally, you realize money doesn't grow on trees and the OHSAA can't just print it up?? (By the way, even when you are the U.S. government, while you can print money, you can't print the wealth that backs it up. Think about that the next time you hope the government sends you a check for $1,500 that somebody (your children probably) will have to pay back someday with significant interest.)

It's like the people that constantly rail against the NCAA. They don't seem to realize the OHSAA IS the high schools - the NCAA IS the colleges.

In any event, the OHSAA is just collecting the money it needs to do what it does. The fairest way is to take that money from the championships themselves - otherwise they will simply have to charge the member institutions more. Isn't it fairer that the people that are getting the most benefit from what the OHSAA does be the ones to pay the most??? THAT is exactly what happens when they take the money from the championships (i.e. the team's that go the farthest "pay" the most by not getting the revenue generated from their games).
The OHSAA doesn't charge membership dues. So unlike other states, they're hurting for money.

Secondly, the biggest expense covered by the OHSAA for all schools is catastrophic loss coverage.

You're asking the Mentors and Pick Centrals of the world to pay for the Waterloos and Ashtabula Lakesides.

The OHSAA doesn't charge membership dues. So unlike other states, they're hurting for money.

Secondly, the biggest expense covered by the OHSAA for all schools is catastrophic loss coverage.

You're asking the Mentors and Pick Centrals of the world to pay for the Waterloos and Ashtabula Lakesides.

I'm asking for the teams that benefit the most from playing in the playoffs to pay the most.

Amen! As usual, this fanciful idea that ANY high school sports are PROFITABLE, let alone Big Business— which is an utterly absurd notion— surfaces AGAIN. There IS no money to be made in HS sports— the revenue from putting on games is a pittance, compared to the costs of fielding a team— and I don’t care what school you are talking about— even schools with (relatively) big attendance numbers (e.g.- Massillon, Elder, X, etc.) spend SO MUCH to field their teams that there ARE NO PROFITS— only losses...

This is NOT Ohio State Buckeyes’ football, with anything even similar in revenue sources. When you consider what it costs to outfit, coach, insure, transport, feed, (occasionally) lodge, and display (on a maintained field in a secured, maintained stadium) a HS football team, you will realize that there IS NO MONEY to be made in this undertaking— I wish somebody that has been (or IS) a HS Athletic Director, Principal, our Superintendent would chime in here, with some REAL WORLD financial facts, so that we could stop hearing about who is making any money off of HS football.

Now, if you (Sykotyk, et al) want to argue that these smaller and/or weaker school teams want to avoid incurring even GREATER LOSSES, by not paying their own way in the State tournament— well, you‘ll get no argument from me (and possibly L Hand, as well— though I can not [ever] speak for him)– but let’s (for once) STOP acting like there is some big pot of gold to be had, by putting on HS sporting events— there is NOT.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering what Hughes is hoping to gain. I can't see them getting anywhere close to a good draw with only playing 3 games. This will be an interesting to follow.
I might have an answer for you but will have to wait until I get permission, so to speak to post it.