Poll worker

19AL63

Have you ever considered or been a poll worker . I keep hearing how there is a shortage of people willing to do the job. I thought about it but I decided that at my age and the virus maybe this is not the best time to start this new career.

They are usually old folks. I should probably sign up.

Certainly the WuuHooFlu hype team in the media realizes that overstating risks will make some poll workers stay home....

I did it once to get some extra cash. I was actually going from site to site trouble shooting machine issues so not the kind of poll worker you’re talking about. I would say that the medium age where I vote is 70+.

If I'm ever widowered 10 years from now and get lonely, I know where to go to meet someone my age. Chicks that make you show ID are hot.

Last edited:
I did it once to get some extra cash. I was actually going from site to site trouble shooting machine issues so not the kind of poll worker you’re talking about. I would say that the medium age where I vote is 70+.
That's about right. I think that me and the lesbian Democrat school teacher I work with all day are the only young-ish people there who don't work for election board as employees. We're both using leave time from work.

I went to training to do it for the primary. Figured it might help save some old-timers life. Won't do it in November after the bs Dewine pulled cancelling the primary.

Have you ever considered or been a poll worker . I keep hearing how there is a shortage of people willing to do the job. I thought about it but I decided that at my age and the virus maybe this is not the best time to start this new career.
Yes....Older people should not works the polls or vote in person. Way too dangerous. Mail voting works great. Smart move.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I was a poll worker for over 25 years. The first two I was where they needed the most help
That included two elections where I presided at the location where I had lived as a child. Got to talk with the couples that lived in the houses my grandparents lived in, got to hear two dear little old ladies say "I remember when you were just this tall and the best of all. If there is a write-in the voter must ask for the info
This was back when you had to separate the ballots by different categories at the closing. We had one write-in and voted at our precinct. I said well there's at least one vote we have to separate. Nope, he didn't even vote for himself.
After the third year I was permanently assigned to the location where the 6 precincts of the school district where we live voted. Likened it to a social event. I'd get to see people I might only see once or twice a year. Had some interesting times. One stands out. An ice storm knocked out the power to half the machines. That half worked on battery power the rest of the time. Came time to close up. I called the Board of Elections and told them I'd be bringing all the materials to them in my truck. No,no each precinct has to bring their own with a person from each party in the vehicle. Bull I said. It's stupid to have five elderly ladies drive into town, then back to the polling place to get their car so they can drive home. The roads were terrible and if my truck had been parked opposite the direction it was I'd have been half an hour getting the driver's side door opened. The passenger side door finally was gotten open the next morning. Hauled all the stuff to the Board of Elections, they said you shouldn't have done that, I said call me tomorrow after you drive home tonight. Got home, Chris hadn't gotten the paper from the mailbox so I trudged up the sloping front yard and got it. Turned to go to the house and BOOM. The ice buildup on a hugh pine tree across the road got to be too much and the tree snapped. Damn. Next day Board of Elections peeps told me they guessed that I had done the best thing the night before. I packed it in two years ago, but I still go to vote in person just to see some of the folks. Sadly a number of them have passed.

Clever is voting by mail. It’s dumb to go to a polling place when you don’t have to.
Fully intend to go to a polling place to place my vote for Trump and the rest of the R's. Cant take a chance that some D's working for the post office will throw my ballot away or just happen to miss place it. You are not going to trick me and not have my vote count.

I have been a poll worker in the past; I would do it again if it was only 8 hours, not the 13 hours currently. I never understood why they couldn't have 2 shifts, i would work that.
It has been my experience that poll workers want to do the right thing and are trying to be helpful; if someone came to my polling location and they were in the wrong place, would tell them exactly where to go to cast their ballot. Most problems at polling places are due to operator error on setting up machines; which seemed to change every election. The punch card system worked the best from a poll worker's perspective; unfortunately, appears to be too complicated for some voters to put the "this side face up" and punch holes in a card.
I was always assigned a precinct where I did not live; I had to go on my lunch half hour to drive to my precinct to cast a vote and get back. The last time I worked was when it became a political football and not the usual incompetence on part of the people in charge which will happen under any method of voting and not a partisan effort to disenfranchise one side or other

My Google Ad on this thread.
image1.png