2020 St. Edward Football

I like mindset of this team. Should the line play on both sides of the ball be solid to exceptional, they will be dangerous come the post season... should there be one.

Go Eagles!

Here's an interview Lombardo did recently with TalkBackFans about dealing with the uncertainty of the season, the proposed format changes by the OHSAA, and how those changes may effect player personnel decisions throughout the regular season leading up to the playoffs.

Here's an interview Lombardo did recently with TalkBackFans about dealing with the uncertainty of the season, the proposed format changes by the OHSAA, and how those changes may effect player personnel decisions throughout the regular season leading up to the playoffs.
I want to dislike Lombo but it's impossible.

Was surprised to see Royalty Institute (MD) still on the schedule after their state moved football to the spring. I understand they are an independent with no affiliation to a state organization, but still seems odd that they would be permitted travel across state lines to play in the fall.

I'm getting conflicting answers to this question: Will the St. Ed's broadcasting team be video streaming of this weekend's game?

Last edited:

Was surprised to see Royalty Institute (MD) still on the schedule after their state moved football to the spring. I understand they are an independent with no affiliation to a state organization, but still seems odd that they would be permitted travel across state lines to play in the fall.

Sounds like that game won't happen and it is in fact an open date as of now. Was confused or surprised to see it was on the schedule as the ohsaa rule said only teams from border states.

FYI: Just learned some new info. A friend with connections to St. Eds told me that the associate AD told him that St. Ed's broadcast will live stream the game for free. He said Carmen Angelo will be the broadcaster.

FYI: Just learned some new info. A friend with connections to St. Eds told me that the associate AD told him that St. Ed's broadcast will live stream the game for free. He said Carmen Angelo will be the broadcaster.
I'm pretty sure that is audio only, no video.

Sincere congrats to the Eagles for beating the best high school football team that Ohio has ever produced (not my words, but some loser's).

Last year I watched the JV game with Ignatius and wasn't very impressed with Ramos. Tonight did nothing to change my initial impression of him. Right now, and I know it's only one game into the season, he looks like a below average Ed's QB

Last year I watched the JV game with Ignatius and wasn't very impressed with Ramos. Tonight did nothing to change my initial impression of him. Right now, and I know it's only one game into the season, he looks like a below average Ed's QB
Maybe, but tough to judge a Jr. QB with no scrimmages this year. It has been difficult to evaluate the teams, that's why the state has adopted a 6 game schedule then puts everyone in the play-offs

It's very difficult to evaluate this Eagles team after all the chaos this offseason. They clearly need to find an identity on O and a few playmakers. Ramos was not great and that, with the rain, hampered their play calling on O.

My only criticism of the D is how they played/positioned the free safety most of the evening. 15 yards off the line of scrimmage might protect the "over the top" deep pass they tried to prevent to Ballard, but you also surrender the extra defender in the run game as well. Most disappointing, when Massillon's O got in the red zone, the same safeties were playing in the end zone...if you make a play in the end zone, it's still a TD.

Massillon has a very good team. Should their QB play solid through the balance of the season, they have the RB and WR talent to score points.

Eagles' special teams were exceptional and finally changed the field position advantage that the Tigers enjoyed in the first half.

This Eagles team must leave the personal fouls on the practice field...can't win ball games giving away an extra 15 yards.

They did show grit and determination to come away with a win.

Go Eagles.

Last edited:
Tremendous win last night, showed a lot of grit and tenacity on defense and trusted that the offense would make plays when it had to. Special teams was a huge advantage for St. Ed's as it had the return and won field position in crucial moments. The offense struggled to find a rhythm at times but had a couple nice drives that did not result in touchdowns. The trick play was gold and executed so well. Other key moments were the defense holding Massillon to FG's and not touchdowns on two drives. The score could have gotten out of hand fast if that didn't happen. The Watkins burst in the 3rd quarter and subsequent penalty (hope he is ok!) that set up our first offensive touchdown was huge. Ramos' first completed pass was a big confidence builder too I think. Massillon's RB was a beast! The fact that we did not let him rip off a huge TD run was a statement to our defensive organization. Ballard seems to be the real deal and torched us a couple times but I felt the secondary played much better in the 2nd half. Rios booming the kickoff after the go ahead score and bonehead penalty for the touchback was such a game changer.

First game and no scrimmages in a crazy COVID year I knew would result in a ton of penalties for both teams. We can work on that. Covering those receivers were a big ask with no scrimmages too. I expected blown coverages but that did not seem to happen. We had a hard time getting pressure on the qb and I know Bixby was out but if we wanted pressure we had to bring a blitz. The blitz call late in the game was another timely moment. I'm excited to see us play Hoban next week! Definitely a great first game to build off of, a win where a lot went right and wrong.

Last edited:
Nice win St. Eds! Outplayed every facet of the game, but coaching, finds a way to win! That's the Lombardo difference> Team never folded, kept it close, and finished with a huge trick play. Defense made some nice adjustments, increased pressure as game went on. Massillion didnt make adjustments and lose at home. Thats a great win.