Covid Issues from the 2020 summer season

GCPRO

Just curious how many teams/players/parents had contagion from the summer baseball season. Any place that I watched ballgames it seemed pretty much business as usual for all involved from past seasons. So as we stand on the brink of no fall sporting events what have any of you encountered this summer? I imagine AAU hoops, travel softball, select soccer,etc have all encountered similar issues.

Just curious how many teams/players/parents had contagion from the summer baseball season. Any place that I watched ballgames it seemed pretty much business as usual for all involved from past seasons. So as we stand on the brink of no fall sporting events what have any of you encountered this summer? I imagine AAU hoops, travel softball, select soccer,etc have all encountered similar issues.
I didn't see or hear of any issues.
As you stated, was BAU sans a post game hand shake.

First game of first tournament they tried to not play with opponents balls but by game 2 it was all forgotten.

Few places had bleachers ropes off and all that did was force fans to sit closer than usual in their own chairs.

My son's travel team played 50 games over the summer. Three tournaments were out of town. We had exactly ZERO cases. Very little if any mask wearing.

Never contacted by any tournament director or health department about someone, anyone, at any of the games having the virus.

Personally, I know of not a single person that has or had the virus.....

Our team had two cases show up at the end of the year. One was a pitcher who was with his girl friend a lot. She came down with it (symptoms and everything), he tested positive... no symptoms. Another pitcher tested positive two weeks later to get ready to go Notre Dame. I suspect his was a false positive but it did not matter. Two positives and our team was shut down. No Travel, five round robins with mostly the same club teams and no tournaments. Not a completely positive experience but not completely negative either but kind of expensive.

16 games against local high school teams. Our coach was the only person wearing a mask most of the time. (I get it....he owns a string of Pharmacies so has to set an example, plus he may be high risk)

We had no cases, I have not heard of any other teams having any cases.

Fans mostly sat in lawn chairs under the big tree behind the home dugout. Nice shade.....not social distancing and no masks. No cases that I know of.

Worked a couple of large tournaments with teams from PA, MI and OH. Not much mask wearing. The city tried to enforce social distancing, but it usually fell off as the days went on. No issues that I'm aware of.

Social distancing and such were hit or miss in the games I worked. But, don't know of any cases stemming from SW Ohio baseball occurring. Not to say there aren't any, but since we got on the field at the end of May, I'm sure it would have come out by now. Some coaches wore masks, most did not. But things like pre-game meetings, on field conversations, etc were done with social distancing in mind. Heck, I even saw a mound visit to the pitcher with social distancing the other day. It was actually pretty well executed.

Some cases on a local 17U Baseball Team in Cincy area. I believe they did quarantine the first time and second time they had a few positive cases they just shut it down. Only a week or 2 remained in the season by this time. Some out of State teams did not come to a few tournaments they had signed up for. Some Coaches wore Mask, most did not. Fist bumps or handshakes after ground rules happen at every Tournament or game I saw. Some Umpires wanted to handle the Baseballs others did not was just discussed at ground rules and handled however the Coaches/Umpires were comfortable with. Season ended up being way more “normal” than I ever imagined at the places I saw tournaments/games at. Tournament last week had Teams from Minnesota, Texas, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan,Missouri,PA, KY and Ohio. Was told 2 Teams dropped out bc of Virus out of 75 Teams,that’s not to shabby.

Most dangerous thing we encountered this summer season was BLM rolling through the area, flashing weapons, while we were having dinner. I would say there was 8-10 kids there whom were in town for the tournament in Louisville......

I didn’t run into any issues. I did have a partner wear a mask and he did fine. My first game was told I didn’t need my ball bag, lasted until the second game of dh. I did not notice any social distancing from fans or coaches.

I didn’t run into any issues. I did have a partner wear a mask and he did fine. My first game was told I didn’t need my ball bag, lasted until the second Y
Yeah, think the guidelines was you had to use your own balls, and not to get your balls mixed in with your opponents balls.

Think they attempted to keep everyone's balls for about 2-3 innings of the first game and that was it...

Yeah, think the guidelines was you had to use your own balls, and not to get your balls mixed in with your opponents balls.

Think they attempted to keep everyone's balls for about 2-3 innings of the first game and that was it...

Four game balls = two when you're not supposed to cross-contaminate. Two foul balls and a three minute wait ends that policy in a hurry. Add in parents being confused about whether or not they should shag foul balls for the other team and the defensive team having one or two kids in the dugout because the rest are out in the field...

It really gets fun when you have a team that plays on the national circuit who thinks they're too good to shag balls and an opposing coach who tells the ump "if they won't go get foul balls - we aren't either." :mad:

Four game balls = two when you're not supposed to cross-contaminate. Two foul balls and a three minute wait ends that policy in a hurry. Add in parents being confused about whether or not they should shag foul balls for the other team and the defensive team having one or two kids in the dugout because the rest are out in the field...

It really gets fun when you have a team that plays on the national circuit who thinks they're too good to shag balls and an opposing coach who tells the ump "if they won't go get foul balls - we aren't either." :mad:
Then the ump stops the game, holds the time, and make them go shag.

Then the ump stops the game, holds the time, and make them go shag.

Why should an Umpire “hold” the time on a Game because the Participants or Parents won’t shag foul balls? I saw many Coaches chasing foul balls this year. Do what has to be done for the game/tournament to be played.

Why should an Umpire “hold” the time on a Game because the Participants or Parents won’t shag foul balls? I saw many Coaches chasing foul balls this year. Do what has to be done for the game/tournament to be played.
so a winning team cannot stall. Was a tourny few weeks ago and the winning team, three times, who changed pitchers with two outs in an inning, twice with no one on base.

AND had two offensive conferences wit the third base coach and the baserunners/hitter.

so a winning team cannot stall. Was a tourny few weeks ago and the winning team, three times, who changed pitchers with two outs in an inning, twice with no one on base.

AND had two offensive conferences wit the third base coach and the baserunners/hitter.

2 Offensive Conferences is on the Umpire, rest is all within the Rules. If the teams can’t shag foul balls they shouldn’t be playing Baseball or should have thrown in some of their own Baseballs. Time “wasted” on Teams not chasing foul balls is on them, that time should never be put on hold for that reason!

Games I was supposed to work today were canceled because each team had a player test positive for covid yesterday

2 Offensive Conferences is on the Umpire, rest is all within the Rules. If the teams can’t shag foul balls they shouldn’t be playing Baseball or should have thrown in some of their own Baseballs. Time “wasted” on Teams not chasing foul balls is on them, that time should never be put on hold for that reason!

Pretty much how we told the umpires to handle it: "Two hour time limit gentlemen. Up to you whether we spend those two hours playing or standing around."