DeWine addressing contact sports today — what will he say?

Stands to reason that everyone saying its the boogie virus and has already spread and will spread regardless of what you do is correct.

Assisted care, not assisted death. We are doing much better than most in Ohio, but decisions are not being made simply off of what is happening in Ohio. Other places that are doing terribly have an influence on decision makers. Should there even be a debate on if kids should go back to school at this point? We blew it as a country in March and April and now we have to debate it everyday. It should have been so far in our rear view mirror that we couldn't remember it. We should have been the best in the world, but we are not. If the response was so good, why do I have to see the President talking about it when I should be going and watching the Indians beat the Reds? Excuses. My parents did not allow me and my brothers to make excuses. The saying was " I don't want to hear excuses, I want to see performance."
I thought we blew it in January-March?

Stands to reason that everyone saying its the boogie virus and has already spread and will spread regardless of what you do is correct.
Alright, so what you’re saying is no matter what’s done to keep everyone safe and prevent transmission it’s futile. Not a glaring endorsement to proceed with football then, thanks cknights.

Alright, so what you’re saying is no matter what’s done to keep everyone safe and prevent transmission it’s futile. Not a glaring endorsement to proceed with football then, thanks cknights.
Dewine is symptom free of a cold virus (coronavirus). And yes. Mr. Mask Up, social distance, no barbeques, no ballgames, no dine in.....he contracted coronavirus. Live with it. That's what you can do.

I thought we blew it in January-March?
Country not State. It's all one big system. Decision makers are going to look at everything. You are getting on the wrong person. If it were up to me, we would have had kids back in school and sports first week of April. We did blow it. Not sure how you can look at what is going on and say any different. NO LEADERSHIP!!!

Country not State. It's all one big system. Decision makers are going to look at everything. You are getting on the wrong person. If it were up to me, we would have had kids back in school and sports first week of April. We did blow it. Not sure how you can look at what is going on and say any different. NO LEADERSHIP!!!
Wait, what? You wanted to put kids back in school in April? For real?

This is basically the conflict between individualism vs collectivism, front and center.
The entire Covid debate is a conflict between individualism vs collectivism. Dewine took a sweeping collectivism approach and even his best efforts to lead by example have failed him.

The entire Covid debate is a conflict between individualism vs collectivism. Dewine took a sweeping collectivism approach and even his best efforts to lead by example have failed him.
That approach is enjoying public approval in the 70‘s. It’s the minority of Ohio that’s stuck on the individualism you’re describing.

That approach is enjoying public approval in the 70‘s. It’s the minority of Ohio that’s stuck on the individualism you’re describing.
Collectivism is very much a liberal viewpoint that has been carried his approval rating by the left throughout Dewine's tenure during this "pandemic". Given that he is an older individual and is asymptomatic would lead us all to believe he had the virus already, and possibly within the last 30-60 days throughout his collective effort to shut down schools and sports. Its really ironic and just goes to prove to people that we will have to learn to live with this cold virus.

Wait, what? You wanted to put kids back in school in April? For real?
14 - 21 day shut down. (Not sure that was necessary, but as an extreme) Testing and Tracing and back to normal with decisions being made as outbreaks happen. Make sure we are on top of it so hospitals are not over run. Kids should never have had to suffer like they have. Now, we are just chasing our tails. People dying needlessly. It's a joke.

Should have seen what was going on over seas and been prepared. It was going to get here. Be ready. Now it's serious. It's out of control. Now, kids might not be able to go to school. Kids might not be able to play sports unless we just decide we have to deal with the consequences. Close our eyes and jump. When we are being told what a great job Arizona is doing and has done, it's not even a serious discussion anymore. It was not play time. Serious Adults should have been in charge.

You and I probably have many more similarities than differences. I think this was handled by a child with horrible consequences. Now, we aren't coming out of this without big issues.

Again, The Ebola Virus was handled. SARS Handled( I guess it's Covid-1) . H1N1 Handled. HIV handled.(A bit rough, but not like this.) LEADERSHIP! Every other FLU VIRUS.

Every football team every is collectivism. A team doesn't work if we aren't all working towards the greater good. It has nothing to do with liberal being a bad thing. No more than being conservative is bad.

Last edited:
I have no doubt DeWine testing positive will be used as reason to shut a lot of things down in the future.

"many of you don't have any friends or family with coronavirus, but now you have one friend that does....me"

I have no doubt DeWine testing positive will be used as reason to shut a lot of things down in the future.

"many of you don't have any friends or family with coronavirus, but now you have one friend that does....me"
"If I can get it, EVERYONE can get it. SHut down the state for 30 days.

Will be his mantra.

Or....."Hell, I got it, didnt even know, Im old as dirt, and Im fine. OPEN UP EVERYTHING POST HASTE!"

Likely the former....

Somehow, a major public health issue and how to form a coherent strategy to combat it while resuming life has devolved into this.

Only in America, and it's why we probably aren't going to truly secure the reins on this anytime soon.

Does Europe have a coherent strategy to combat the coronavirus? Have you seen France numbers lately? France numbers are going up, and they have 30,000 deaths, very high for a country with a population of 66 million. Comparatively, Texas has only about 8,000 deaths with a population of 39 million. Spain numbers are spiking. Just a couple examples.

United States while total cases are high, we are managing this the best we can without crumbling the economy. I think that is all you can ask for. I wish we could do better taking care for our elderly keeping it out of senior living homes though.

I just want to make sure the correct numbers are given rather than some incorrect, inflated numbers as are usually given.

If Maxie doesn't want to count the home playoff games, the numbers are -

2019 Season --- 7514

2018 Season --- 7884

2017 Season --- 6741

Still that's far from an average of 9000.

You truly are IGNORANT. That proves the point, that was being responded to. Massillon wouldn't have a problem honoring security procedures and statewide mandates because of ATTENDANCE!

Thanks for playing!

You truly are IGNORANT. That proves the point, that was being responded to. Massillon wouldn't have a problem honoring security procedures and statewide mandates because of ATTENDANCE!

Thanks for playing!
You're WAY off base in missing what I was saying. I was replying to your comment "Massillon has been averaging approx. 9,000 fans." Actually, it's considerably closer to 7,000 over the last 3 years.

My post clearly shows you were exaggerating the size of the crowds at the games. Sorry for the truth.

Does Europe have a coherent strategy to combat the coronavirus? Have you seen France numbers lately? France numbers are going up, and they have 30,000 deaths, very high for a country with a population of 66 million. Comparatively, Texas has only about 8,000 deaths with a population of 39 million. Spain numbers are spiking. Just a couple examples.

United States while total cases are high, we are managing this the best we can without crumbling the economy. I think that is all you can ask for. I wish we could do better taking care for our elderly keeping it out of senior living homes though.

Adjust for population numbers and France's death numbers are slightly better than the ours, in spite of having a significantly higher average population density and an older population than we do. Being more comparable to individual U.S. states, Europe does have an advantage in that it's easier to implement public health policy, whether strict or in the case or Sweden highly unrestrictive, in the sense that geography is tighter and population is lower and for almost all European countries much more homogeneous than the U.S.

At this point, avoiding totally crumbling the economy is probably about the best we can hope for. The softer shutdown measures heavily dinged the economy while also not really getting the spread under control early on. All hell is going to break loose if during the traditional flu season case numbers take a big spike and shutdown measures are pushed for again.

Adjust for population numbers and France's death numbers are slightly better than the ours, in spite of having a significantly higher average population density and an older population than we do. Being more comparable to individual U.S. states, Europe does have an advantage in that it's easier to implement public health policy, whether strict or in the case or Sweden highly unrestrictive, in the sense that geography is tighter and population is lower and for almost all European countries much more homogeneous than the U.S.

At this point, avoiding totally crumbling the economy is probably about the best we can hope for. The softer shutdown measures heavily dinged the economy while also not really getting the spread under control early on. All hell is going to break loose if during the traditional flu season case numbers take a big spike and shutdown measures are pushed for again.
The one thing I keep finding interesting is how the infection rate numbers, case positivity rates, and icu usage numbers seem to spike in the hotspot states for a couple of weeks then plummet rather quickly. And the downslope started before any mask mandates or major pauses on reopening plans. If you check out the site Covidactnow.org, it has a nice map layout of each state and their tracking variables. California, Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Arizona, and Georgia are all showing these trends. Gives me some hope that this thing will become seasonal or some sort of population immunity can be reached, which hopefully lessens the impact of the pending flu season.

This ruling only affects the plaintiffs (SW Basketball and Warren Co. Visitors Bureau, etc). Will every individual school have to get a similar court order? Sorry, not a lawyer.

14 - 21 day shut down. (Not sure that was necessary, but as an extreme) Testing and Tracing and back to normal with decisions being made as outbreaks happen. Make sure we are on top of it so hospitals are not over run. Kids should never have had to suffer like they have. Now, we are just chasing our tails. People dying needlessly. It's a joke.

Should have seen what was going on over seas and been prepared. It was going to get here. Be ready. Now it's serious. It's out of control. Now, kids might not be able to go to school. Kids might not be able to play sports unless we just decide we have to deal with the consequences. Close our eyes and jump. When we are being told what a great job Arizona is doing and has done, it's not even a serious discussion anymore. It was not play time. Serious Adults should have been in charge.

You and I probably have many more similarities than differences. I think this was handled by a child with horrible consequences. Now, we aren't coming out of this without big issues.

Again, The Ebola Virus was handled. SARS Handled( I guess it's Covid-1) . H1N1 Handled. HIV handled.(A bit rough, but not like this.) LEADERSHIP! Every other FLU VIRUS.

Every football team every is collectivism. A team doesn't work if we aren't all working towards the greater good. It has nothing to do with liberal being a bad thing. No more than being conservative is bad.
Agree with some. Disagree on others. Good discussion. I will say your 2-3 weeks to get kids back to school is probably more aggressive than many on here which surprised me. In hindsight I always said about a month to see what we really have here and it was an unknown was about right. We went long there.

I don't remember any lockdowns or mask mandates with any of those other viruses. People were more cautious for sure though but life for the most part went on as normal.

In this political climate though no matter what Trump did it was going to be wrong to about half the country. And with the media slant against him it is all we were going to hear. It's unfortunate really that both sides used it as a political football IMO.

Either way the situation is what it is as they say. I think we should resume to near normal activities. This means school, sports, etc. If the riots of this summer didn't help spread the virus like has been reported then there is no reason football, soccer, etc should be stopped. The riots show, again if they didn't contribute to the spread, that outdoor activities with lots of people not social distancing are safe activities.

Not sure why you included the football team part in response to mine but maybe you included to save on internet space.

This ruling only affects the plaintiffs (SW Basketball and Warren Co. Visitors Bureau, etc). Will every individual school have to get a similar court order? Sorry, not a lawyer.
I think OHSAA would try to get an injunction representing all member schools rather then each individual school doing so.

I can't believe the Pennsylvania governor recommended to shut down sports until the end of the year