Seattle's New NHL Franchise- Krakens

Auggie

Seattle's new NHL franchise has their name and logo unveiled today, they are to be called the Krakens>

5f1911888defa9c5f784f988_0723-sea21-set-e1595522406391.jpg

In related news the arena will be nicknamed the Krakhouse and the mascot will be known as the Seattle Krakhead.

Seattle is owning deep navy blue as their primary pro team color; the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders all use it. With that being said a few folks in my business wanted them to pick up the old Hartford Whalers name, color scheme, and most importantly logo. It is one of the best selling throwback jersey in the business and would have worked well in the market. Problem is the Carolina Hurricanes own the rights and like it for a throwback night when they play the Bruins.

51vDnXv5LsL._AC_.jpg

Seattle is owning deep navy blue as their primary pro team color; the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders all use it. With that being said a few folks in my business wanted them to pick up the old Hartford Whalers name, color scheme, and most importantly logo. It is one of the best selling throwback jersey in the business and would have worked well in the market. Problem is the Carolina Hurricanes own the rights and like it for a throwback night when they play the Bruins.

51vDnXv5LsL._AC_.jpg
Can you imagine the SJW response to an organization that glorifies the hunting of whales? That would never fly in Seattle, they would burn the arena down.

The Kraken is a mythical creature from Scandinavian folklore and has nothing to do with Seattle. This marginalizes the black trans community as well as the Indigenous of the Pacific Northwest. This is white supremacy in action.

The Kraken is a mythical creature from Scandinavian folklore and has nothing to do with Seattle. This marginalizes the black trans community as well as the Indigenous of the Pacific Northwest. This is white supremacy in action.
All good points. Kraken is clearly offensive to some minorities. People that don't understand this are part of the problem

It's the Kraken not the Krakens. Similar to the Miami Heat, Utah Jazz, and Colorado Avalanche.
Dang. I was on board with the nickname until you posted this. A curse upon on all franchises who insist on using a singular noun, especially non-solid ones, to refer to multiple persons on a team. May they enjoy the same success and longevity as the Ohio Glory.

Dang. I was on board with the nickname until you posted this. A curse upon on all franchises who insist on using a singular noun, especially non-solid ones, to refer to multiple persons on a team. May they enjoy the same success and longevity as the Ohio Glory.
But we love our Columbus Crew. It does refer to a group of people, so hopefully it passes muster with you. ;)

But we love our Columbus Crew. It does refer to a group of people, so hopefully it passes muster with you. ;)
Aurrrgh. Didn't like that one, either! But they follow the European sensibilities, like "FC" and "Nordeck", so they're on their own.