Northwest Conference 2020

BirdDog10

Starting a thread because I haven't seen it anywhere else on Yappi yet this summer. What are our predictions for the NWC in 2020?

And for anyone that wants to talk covid/debates not relating to NWC football:
1595357573302.png

My obvious homer pick is that Grove is set up to have a great year in the league and hopefully a deep playoff run. Reynolds is back at QB and was playing his best football at the end of 2019, Metzger is returning with an additional year of growth at RB, and they should have a very experienced o-line along with most of their defense. They graduated 2 very good receivers last year and a third starter from 2019 isn't playing this year, but they should still have plenty of weapons on offense.

I have no idea what the rest of the league will look like. Just going off of last year, Crestview will be competitive again with Brecht being the stud on both sides of the ball, and I know Spencerville graduated some good talent but I believe they had a very good sophomore running back - Grigsby I think - to get their offense going. Allen East is a massive question mark along with Paulding and Bluffton, and I think it's at least another year before either Jefferson or Ada are competing for the top of the league again.

A little longer for Ada to be any where near the top again. Rumor has it they are looking at 24-25 kids. I hope this is completely false but that is what I keep being told
As far as the top, Grove should be mentioned along with Crestview. AE with new coach is a question mark, but the kids have tasted winning so hopefully they keep it going in the right direction
Also will think Leipsic will rep the NWC well while they compete in their last year in the BVC

1. Columbus Grove
2. Spencerville
3. Crestview
4. Allen East
5. Paulding
6. Bluffton
7. Delphos Jefferson
8. Ada

#1) Pretty good. Can maybe do some damage in the playoffs.
#2-#4) Below average for a top 4 team in the NWC. At best a 1st round playoff exit.
#5) On a tier by themselves. Not bad. Not good.
#6-#8) Really bad teams.

1. Grove
2. Crestview
3. Spencerville
4. Allen East
5. Bluffton
6. Paulding
7. Ada
8. Jefferson

I haven't looked at regional assignments in depth yet, nor do I know if we have the, so I can't give a good playoff predictor. That said, I like Grove's team to win the conference. Crestview has a good chance if we figure out our QB situation. The Brecht boy is probably next level, but needs some help. I always like Allen East to make noise, but they disappoint, so I went with Spencerville. Good system. Good coaching. Allen East, Bluffton, and then Paulding. .500 teams. Ada and Jefferson are probably the final tier. Just not much good going. A few good pieces but not an entire teams' worth of talent to shake up the league.

1. Columbus Grove
2. Spencerville
3. Crestview
4. Allen East
5. Paulding
6. Bluffton
7. Delphos Jefferson
8. Ada

#1) Pretty good. Can maybe do some damage in the playoffs.
#2-#4) Below average for a top 4 team in the NWC. At best a 1st round playoff exit.
#5) On a tier by themselves. Not bad. Not good.
#6-#8) Really bad teams.

Wasn't Jefferson doing really well the last few years? what happened?

Also, I remember a time when Bluffton use to run that conference in football. Now they seem to be second tier at best, most of you saying lowest tier. What happened?

I haven't looked at regional assignments in depth yet, nor do I know if we have the, so I can't give a good playoff predictor. That said, I like Grove's team to win the conference.
Teams to watch in Region 22:
Archbold
Liberty Center
Fairview
Grove
Seneca East
Carey
Western Reserve
Northwood
Gibsonburg

Jefferson was solid through 2017. 2-18 the last 2 years combined, and 1 of the 2 was Stryker.
The other was Perry, and they had to overcome a huge 4th quarter deficit to win that game. Perry blew that one hands down. Could only be one win the last two years. Growing up, (I'm 30) Jefferson was always respectable every year, even if they only won a few playoff games here or there. But this is just sad. Delphos has a historically strong football base and both of their teams right now are in the crapper.

I am curious as to why DJ and Ada have all but flatlined. I thought the DJ teams Coldwater played were pretty decent. Especially the '16 team.

Jefferson has always been competitive, even on their bad years for a long time, then they ran through the league from 2013-2016. The program was starting on the downhill trend when Sommers left for Spencerville in 2017, but they still had one solid year after his departure. The guy who took over in 2017 bailed after one season, then they made the mistake of hiring Taviano from Lima, and the program was undoubtedly worse when he left than when he started. Their coaching staff now is on the right track, it might just take some time. Rahrig has been with the program through both the great and awful years, so there's no doubt he's seen what works and what doesn't.

I can't figure out why Ada dropped off so bad and so quick. They've never had massive numbers, but they've hardly had a JV game in 2 years. For the sake of keeping the league competitive I hope they can get their stuff fixed soon.

Yea but they had soccer back in the 90s when I was in high school.
In the 90's every athlete in Bluffton played football, now they play soccer. If you would've taken the best athletes from their state soccer team last year and put them on the football team, they would have looked a heck of a lot better.

In the 90's every athlete in Bluffton played football, now they play soccer. If you would've taken the best athletes from their state soccer team last year and put them on the football team, they would have looked a heck of a lot better.

Plus the basketball coach pretty much told the kids to not play football.

Plus the basketball coach pretty much told the kids to not play football.
Always the basketball coaches fault when someone doesn't play football. Cant think of many basketball guys that didn't play a fall sport last year. If you are referring to the guy coming off multiple knee injuries not playing football then you need to reevaluate your priorities

Delphos has a lot of financial issues, a community that is tough of coaches and a downturn in talent. History says they will bounce back.

I can't figure out why Ada dropped off so bad and so quick. They've never had massive numbers, but they've hardly had a JV game in 2 years. For the sake of keeping the league competitive I hope they can get their stuff fixed soon.

Ada's football numbers have dropped pretty steadily since Fell left for Lima Senior. His replacement did not do any favors for Ada and the program has been going downhill since then and I really think the last couple years are still a result of that. In the meantime soccer numbers have gone up, a coincidence, I think not

Ada's football numbers have dropped pretty steadily since Fell left for Lima Senior. His replacement did not do any favors for Ada and the program has been going downhill since then and I really think the last couple years are still a result of that. In the meantime soccer numbers have gone up, a coincidence, I think not
How many coaches has Ada had? Seems like forever since Fell?

Bob Olwin took after Fell and was there for 5 years I think. When he left, Shawn Christopher took over and is still there. Christopher played for and coached with Fell, and was Olwin’s D-coordinator, so it’s hard to blame Ada’s drop on coaching turnover.

Bob Olwin took after Fell and was there for 5 years I think. When he left, Shawn Christopher took over and is still there. Christopher played for and coached with Fell, and was Olwin’s D-coordinator, so it’s hard to blame Ada’s drop on coaching turnover.
Thanks for the update.

Bluffton had some great athletes on that state soccer team. I would have hated to meet them with all of those kids on the football field.

That said, from my perspective, both Ada and Bluffton seem to be more and more soccer towns. It's somewhat the same as Celina. They used to be a heavy football school and switched allegiances.

As for Jefferson. That's pure coaching. Taviano was a nightmare and only cared about his own kid. They have also had a turnover in talent as of late. But, that changes through the years. I can see them climbing the mountain again.

Sometimes coaches and a town just dont fit. Not saying that was the case with Olwin and Ada but could be. I'm shocked that he took the Edon job.

2 is correct
All correct, and again , will stick to my earlier post
I was not referring to turnover so much as the person itself

Fell left when he saw the well drying out and Olwin did the same. Christopher has a lot of work to do, their defense allowed 50 ppg. on average last year.

Fell left when he saw the well drying out and Olwin did the same. Christopher has a lot of work to do, their defense allowed 50 ppg. on average last year.
Well was far from dry the 4 yrs after Fell left. It was drying up when Olwin left as the numbers were dropping quickly. Strange that the athleticism went up on the soccer team about the same time

Well was far from dry the 4 yrs after Fell left. It was drying up when Olwin left as the numbers were dropping quickly. Strange that the athleticism went up on the soccer team about the same time
Olwin didn’t really help things with his coaching style.