ESPN Suspends Adrian Wojnarowski After Profane Email to U.S. Senator

No, it’s an issue bc a foreign govt is curtailing freedom of speech in this country. They’re all riding Kap’s tip and his right to protest at work, why can’t Daryl Morey speak his mind?
Really, we're going with "China's funding BLM"?

Daryl Morey is free to speak his mind. Just like the Houston Rockets, who depend on him to be judicious in what he says, are free to tell him to pipe down if what he says hurts their value. Simultaneously, the Rockets (not unlike any other major US sports franchise) probably want to stay out any issue of sovereignty/international relations altogether. They're not diplomats, it's not their problem.

And they weren’t in our faces about social justice then. How is that hard to grasp?

This is an enormous whataboutism like many things in American politics.

Right-wingers like Hawley that don't support the NBA's product or the ongoing social justice protests/riots that many black basketball players support tries to discredit both domestically by invoking a social justice cause abroad that it's politically expedient for him to support. It's a huge whataboutism.

It's not a pro athlete's obligation to openly support every single cause globally that's similar to something he supports domestically.

This is an enormous whataboutism like many things in American politics.

Right-wingers like Hawley that don't support the NBA's product or the ongoing social justice protests/riots that many black basketball players support tries to discredit both domestically by invoking a social justice cause abroad that it's politically expedient for him to support. It's a huge whataboutism.

It's not a pro athlete's obligation to openly support every single cause globally that's similar to something he supports domestically.
I’m not talking about Hawley, I’m talking about in general, this is totally unabashed hypocrisy.

Really, we're going with "China's funding BLM"?

Daryl Morey is free to speak his mind. Just like the Houston Rockets, who depend on him to be judicious in what he says, are free to tell him to pipe down if what he says hurts their value. Simultaneously, the Rockets (not unlike any other major US sports franchise) probably want to stay out any issue of sovereignty/international relations altogether. They're not diplomats, it's not their problem.
So then you support the NFL’s right to keep Kap from kneeling?

So then you support the NFL’s right to keep Kap from kneeling?
uh yeah I support this thing that never happened, unless you're talking about the fact teams chose not to sign him. Which, I also support fundamentally even though I think they blackballed a man who believed in his heart he was promoting the right message (which I endorse as well.)

I'm sorry, I want to be entertained. I could care less about what their political views are. Just entertain me. I paid for my seat, do your JOB and entertain me!

uh yeah I support this thing that never happened, unless you're talking about the fact teams chose not to sign him. Which, I also support fundamentally even though I think they blackballed a man who believed in his heart he was promoting the right message (which I endorse as well.)
But you just used the word “blackballed” instead of simply saying the chose not to sign him. Clearly you think what Kap did was ok and what Daryl Morey did wasn’t. You’re a hypocrite. It wouldn’t shock me one bit if LeBron has the League keeping Morey silent so he can get Space Jam 2 into Chinese mkts.

But you just used the word “blackballed” instead of simply saying the chose not to sign him. Clearly you think what Kap did was ok and what Daryl Morey did wasn’t. You’re a hypocrite. It wouldn’t shock me one bit if LeBron has the League keeping Morey silent so he can get Space Jam 2 into Chinese mkts.
I made no judgment on what Daryl Morey said, dude.

I really haven't paid much attention to this player's social justice messages thing, but I just checked out of curiosity and the "approved" list includes things like "freedom", "liberation", and "power to the people". There's an awful lot of leeway in all of those that can be open to interpretation and that may mean very different things to different people.

If Enes Kanter is good with putting "freedom" on his back as opposed to "F Erdogan" or "free Turkey", then "freedom" and "liberation" ought to be good enough for the namby pambies like Hawley that are crying about the lack of blatant anti-China propaganda.

I really haven't paid much attention to this player's social justice messages thing, but I just checked out of curiosity and the "approved" list includes things like "freedom", "liberation", and "power to the people". There's an awful lot of leeway in all of those that can be open to interpretation and that may mean very different things to different people.

If Enes Kanter is good with putting "freedom" on his back as opposed to "F Erdogan" or "free Turkey", then "freedom" and "liberation" ought to be good enough for the namby pambies like Hawley that are crying about the lack of blatant anti-China propaganda.
Propaganda is the Chinese govt forcing the NBA to shut Daryl Morey up. Again, I don’t expect them to have views on everything but when a corrupt govt abusing human rights pays you millions of $, you better have your house in order. They’re dumb spoiled brats. I have no issue with them being in support of the BLM movt, but don’t expect anyone with a brain to not call you out on your bulls**t

And this isn’t about Hawley. However, Woj deserved to be suspended. You can also bet your a**, if this were a response back to Pelosi or AOC, he’d be fired.

I made no judgment on what Daryl Morey said, dude.
Then you should have an issue with the League putting a hush order on him for supporting Democracy. Unbelievable, that you think these players have anything valid to say, when they bash this country and make millions of $ from a country that has Muslims in Concentration Camps.

A lot of this is Right Wing smear tactics to distract from BLM, but there’s legitimately real issues here. China has their dirty hands in one of the biggest sports leagues in the world and they’re now leveraging their power to suppress speech in this country. That’s a big f’n deal.

Probably a big win for his "first to break breaking basketball news" reputation going forward.

I do not like the dynamics of the NBA's relationship with China, but IMO Senator Hawley looks like a Karen that's going on a fishing expedition here to try to cause a scene. In regards to pro-military and pro-police messages, there's zero evidence that promoting such messages was neutralized by the league or the player's association. It's not being promoted because "socially conscience" causes are shockingly at the forefront of a player's union that overwhelmingly consists of blacks and foreigners, many of whom are from former Eastern Bloc type authoritarian countries.
Eh...not really. If you recall, Rockets GM Darryl Morey tweeted support of Hong Kong protests against China. If you recall, Greg Poppovich, LeBron James, Steve Kerr, guys who regularly have comments and quotes about how bad it is here was oddly quiet about this, mainly because the NBA and China are joined at the hip. China treats it's citizens and those in Hong Kong very badly, including using slave labor for their Nike facilities. So all the senator asked was why Adam Silver wouldn't allow NBA players to put patriotic or pro police messages on their backs as part of the BLM movement.

The NBA is dancing with some serious danger today. Their fan base is shrinking and they seem to do little to help. They will always have the young and rebel crowd, but still, largely the NBA is supported by older white businessmen. Michael Jordan looks smarter and smarter, doesn't he? Republicans buy sneakers too!

Eh...not really. If you recall, Rockets GM Darryl Morey tweeted support of Hong Kong protests against China. If you recall, Greg Poppovich, LeBron James, Steve Kerr, guys who regularly have comments and quotes about how bad it is here was oddly quiet about this, mainly because the NBA and China are joined at the hip. China treats it's citizens and those in Hong Kong very badly, including using slave labor for their Nike facilities. So all the senator asked was why Adam Silver wouldn't allow NBA players to put patriotic or pro police messages on their backs as part of the BLM movement.

The NBA is dancing with some serious danger today. Their fan base is shrinking and they seem to do little to help. They will always have the young and rebel crowd, but still, largely the NBA is supported by older white businessmen. Michael Jordan looks smarter and smarter, doesn't he? Republicans buy sneakers too!
I don’t mind the BLM support, it should be expected in a League that’s 90% black. However, don’t get on your soapbox and preach about social justice when you’re cashing million $ checks from the Chinese Govt

I don’t mind the BLM support, it should be expected in a League that’s 90% black. However, don’t get on your soapbox and preach about social justice when you’re cashing million $ checks from the Chinese Govt
I'd just like to see some kind of acknowledgement from the BLM supporters that the black communities have some blame in their plight. I mean even with George Floyd and the guy in Atlanta, both had issues with the the law and the one guy even fought with police and stole a taser and fired it at a cop. Our level of response to criminal behavior has changed. Now police have a very difficult time doing anything unless their life is in danger. That's a really hard thing to do when you have seconds to make decisions.
Also, the root of the issues in poor areas, white and black is very simple. It's the breakdown of the family. No one ever wants to say that. We have more kids born out of wedlock and into single homes, or raised by grandparents than any time in American history. That's not a good thing. LeBron James and Colin Kapernick need to tell young black men to marry the mothers of their children and raise these kids together. You talk about statistics to a good life, you put two parents in a home and the chances of making it are so much better.

I'd just like to see some kind of acknowledgement from the BLM supporters that the black communities have some blame in their plight. I mean even with George Floyd and the guy in Atlanta, both had issues with the the law and the one guy even fought with police and stole a taser and fired it at a cop. Our level of response to criminal behavior has changed. Now police have a very difficult time doing anything unless their life is in danger. That's a really hard thing to do when you have seconds to make decisions.
Also, the root of the issues in poor areas, white and black is very simple. It's the breakdown of the family. No one ever wants to say that. We have more kids born out of wedlock and into single homes, or raised by grandparents than any time in American history. That's not a good thing. LeBron James and Colin Kapernick need to tell young black men to marry the mothers of their children and raise these kids together. You talk about statistics to a good life, you put two parents in a home and the chances of making it are so much better.
That’s the problem, BLM as an org is radical, the BLM movt itself is extremely fragmented and means difft things to difft people. I do agree, lack of fathers is a big issue that needs to be addressed. If you look at any metric of success, the odds are much better of achieving it with 2 parents. That’s why I can’t respect anyone who doesn’t take an at least an active role in their kid’s life. All you’re doing is setting up a never ending loop of teen pregnancy, dropping out of HS, and welfare. We need to look at deadbeat dads with the same contempt we view abusive parents.

That’s the problem, BLM as an org is radical, the BLM movt itself is extremely fragmented and means difft things to difft people. I do agree, lack of fathers is a big issue that needs to be addressed. If you look at any metric of success, the odds are much better of achieving it with 2 parents. That’s why I can’t respect anyone who doesn’t take an at least an active role in their kid’s life. All you’re doing is setting up a never ending loop of teen pregnancy, dropping out of HS, and welfare. We need to look at deadbeat dads with the same contempt we view abusive parents.
You are 1000% correct. Abuse comes in all kinds of ways. Everyone looks at the first things and tries to enact change. REAL change takes years. Change habits, build lives.