Football pushing for a calendar flip

VFL

- I just got word that a few of the prominent high school football coaches in Ohio have submitted proposals to the OHSAA with the intent to flip spring and fall sports. The main point is that it’s much more realistic to expect a full football season in the spring than in the fall.

Fine if football moves to the spring but we can't be flipping the entire schedule.
Speak up before a few prominent coaches tell us how things should be!

I mentioned this in another thread, it’s not that simple. There are ALOT of football coaches that also coach track. Having them pick one sport over the other is wrong, along with having the athlete do it as well if both football and track are ran in the spring.

It would be devastating to the future of high school sports, prioritizing one sports importance over another. They never considered moving the 2020 spring sports to this fall after they lost an entire season.

Really, most of these high school football coaches probably in the past promoted many of their athletes to do track in the spring. It’s sad that they are only thinking about how it benefits their sport and not the well-rounded athlete.

OHSAA has already said "flipping" seasons is not going to happen. Potentially moving the fall sports to the spring, however, has not been ruled out(though I would be stunned to see it happen, for a variety of reasons)

OHSAA has already said "flipping" seasons is not going to happen. Potentially moving the fall sports to the spring, however, has not been ruled out(though I would be stunned to see it happen, for a variety of reasons)
If they do it, it can’t be only for football and would have to be all fall sports. How many xc coaches also coach track? Hey pick which one you like coaching more and have all your distance runners do the same!

Again if it happens, it’s wrong and has dire consequences for many for when we are back to normal.

Can we have all fall athletes this fall treat this like they tore an acl and are done for the season?

We are human and should know that some things are simply out of our hands, even when others are pulling the strings.

This could be just as damaging to football. How many kids might just decide to play soccer or run CC? Baseball is still in the Spring. Going to make kids decide between Track and Field, Baseball and Football? Baseball and Track have coexisted forever. I will make sure that there are plenty of announcements at the Football Games recognizing all the team and individual accomplishments of the Track and Field Team. I'll go head to head with football. They have grown numb to CC stealing their thunder at the sports awards banquet. Track and Field will be a thousand new little cuts.

This could be just as damaging to football. How many kids might just decide to play soccer or run CC? Baseball is still in the Spring. Going to make kids decide between Track and Field, Baseball and Football? Baseball and Track have coexisted forever. I will make sure that there are plenty of announcements at the Football Games recognizing all the team and individual accomplishments of the Track and Field Team. I'll go head to head with football. They have grown numb to CC stealing their thunder at the sports awards banquet. Track and Field will be a thousand new little cuts.
Most of the proposal I have seen are a wholesale flip. So track would be fall and CC would be spring.

Most of the proposal I have seen are a wholesale flip. So track would be fall and CC would be spring.
Good, I'll get even more football players out for track that have been waiting a year to do something and I'll get their parents hooked on winning and watching a winner.

Is this idea of flipping fall and spring sports coming from any reputable source or is it just an unsubstanciated rumor? I have not read anything about this anywhere.

And if coming from a legitimate source what rationale is there to flip seasons? I know the real reason is to have a full football season as they have in previous years. What approach is being presented that kids playing football are more important than those participating in spring sports and are more deserving of an unabreviated season?

As I said before, OHSAA has stated season's will not be "flipped". It's a ridiculous idea anyway, and logistically nearly impossible at this stage of the calendar.

NJCAA expected to announce 2020 junior college football season moving to spring amid COVID-19 pandemic
Another college football scheduling domino is expected to fall Monday

From your link: "The coaches, who provided the proposal on the condition of anonymity." This could be one or two coaches from one school for all we know. It certainly is not anyone representing an organization or they would have disclosed who they are. It appears to be someone who thinks if they throw something out there to fill their needs, no matter how stupid, it might stick. It's kind of like people on a site like this that have every cure to the sport but share do not share it formally with any organization. Just making noise. And shame on any publication that would print such nonsense without a reputable source.

The obvious flaw in the flip reasoning is spring sports were cancelled under the same covid circumstances we have now, and will likely have for the fall.

I would think that the OHSAA could present this as a proposal to be voted on by members (principals/ADs), but at this late date I don't see them jumping on the logistical challenges created by this. What schools are going to host meets? What timing companies are they going to use? Are officials who work meets in the spring even going to be available to work at meets? Contract would have to be written/signed. Bus schedules developed. Switching seasons around is a major undertaking. I don't see administrators adding this to their plate as they get ready to open schools even if they thought it was a good idea.

I would say cancelling all sports is much more likely than switching seasons around and cancelling all sports is more likely than having sports at all this fall.

I would say cancelling all sports is much more likely than switching seasons around and cancelling all sports is more likely than having sports at all this fall.

Agree 100% it is more likely to cancel fall sports than flip things around. OHSAA already said they wouldn't. Fall sports will happen, just a matter of how. They already have a waiver that parents must sign even for summer workouts.

Kids and parents that think its unsafe should not participate. I'm having no issues with numbers. I follow the guidelines and the kids do as well.

but would be more difficult to pull off in a northern state.

AND a politcally red state. They still have to prove the whole virus thing is a hoax. I am not 'trying' to be political but believe politics plays largely into these decisions both directions.

Football is & remains a literal weight around the rest of the sports ?. If springs sports have been screwed over, then football should be subject to the same decision-making process. They are NOT superior to any other sport.
while I enjoy watching my grandson run track and play football equally, football is superior. why? money. that's it. the OHSAA football playoffs brings in the majority of the OHSAA's revenue for the year. that's why cancelling football will be stretched as far as it can be.

while I enjoy watching my grandson run track and play football equally, football is superior. why? money. that's it. the OHSAA football playoffs brings in the majority of the OHSAA's revenue for the year. that's why cancelling football will be stretched as far as it can be.
Football is superior to track because of money. You flipped my stance! Thanks!

Football is superior to track because of money. You flipped my stance! Thanks!
as a fan i like both equally. but to the higher powers, it’s football, plain and simple. both are great sports but one brings in a lot more revenue, which in the end, is what the OHSAA cares about.

If there was no football, athletes would be in other sports. Money would fliw there.

Anyway, the NFL may just screw themselves & the whole collegiate/HS/Jr.H football system with their support of the Marxist BLM

If there was no football, athletes would be in other sports. Money would fliw there.

Anyway, the NFL may just screw themselves & the whole collegiate/HS/Jr.H football system with their support of the Marxist BLM
not exactly. having a few more people at soccer, baseball, and track state championships won’t make up for not having the football postseason.

not exactly. having a few more people at soccer, baseball, and track state championships won’t make up for not having the football postseason.
What is the ohsaa going to do when high school football is not played anymore because of concussion concerns?

Answer: money. Who cares about the lasting impacts on kids.

I’m starting to realize why there is another comment every few seconds on the football forum about not having a season. Play football at all costs and who cares about the repercussions.

What is the ohsaa going to do when high school football is not played anymore because of concussion concerns?

I’m starting to realize why there is another comment every few seconds on the football forum about not having a season. Play football at all costs and who cares about the repercussions.
unfortunately some are like that. i’m a track guy as much as i like football. i’m not biased toward either. but the truth is the OHSAA values football more than any sport because of money.

if the head injury debate ever takes off, the answer is simple: 7on7 football.

I’m starting to realize why there is another comment every few seconds on the football forum about not having a season.actualy football at all costs and who cares about the repercussions.
Yep, football has become the God of all too many ADs & sports-oriented Americans. They've worshipped at the altar of football & can't tolerate the thought that somehow others value other sports more. And,Lord forbid, don't threaten their funding & season. They are almost as bad as a federal government employee in freezing a budget, never mind an actual cut!

Yep, football has become the God of all too many ADs & sports-oriented Americans. They've worshipped at the altar of football & can't tolerate the thought that somehow others value other sports more. And,Lord forbid, don't threaten their funding & season. They are almost as bad as a federal government employee in freezing a budget, never mind an actual cut!
Sounds like someone who couldnt handle playing football......