When will AAU be back in Ohio?

Most coaches welcome AAU in spring or Fall. Not in the summer. Also, football will be full bore mid July, so players will be limited for AAU.

Maybe most coaches aren't for it in the summer, but that's probably speculation anyway by saying "most." Anyway, the coach who I wanted his opinion on it, actually encouraged getting his players on an AAU team this summer if one was available. But what does he know???

With many options being canceled for a high school coach, IF we do see AAU reopen for the remaining summer, I could understand why high school coaches would support it. A collection of 3-4 AAU tournaments could give his players 15-20 competitive games that he cannot provide at this time.

With many options being canceled for a high school coach, IF we do see AAU reopen for the remaining summer, I could understand why high school coaches would support it. A collection of 3-4 AAU tournaments could give his players 15-20 competitive games that he cannot provide at this time.
Completely true. Coaches would normally want a whole month for their entire team, but doubt that’s happening much this summer

FWIW, there was expectations that today there was going to an announcement on the plan to restart the AAU season but the Amy Acton resignation delayed that and it may not be until the end of next week until its announced.

I was told that there is a tournament/shootout in Pittsburgh the weekend of the 27th that's being put together and sounds like there is a good contingent of NEO teams that are expected to be there. But from what it sounded to me was that some age groups may be lumped together. ... the coach (15U) mentioned that they may have to get their heads kicked in by playing up (against 16U and maybe 17U teams.) Which, personally I'm good with that. Of course, that lessens the incentive for older teams to participate if they are gonna be playing down, but not too many other options so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about it happening and then even some events in Ohio taking place in July and maybe even August.

The Pittsburgh thing was mentioned last week, too, about taking place the weekend of the 20th and it would be a one day shootout type event. I probably should have asked if they were now gonna make it a weekend long tournament with bracket play since it's being pushed back a week. Though I'm guessing that will be dependent upon how many teams do actually commit to it.

Anyway, don't take any of this as gospel, just trying to put out what I've been told because of all the uncertainty.

You talk about a drain to the economy, think about all these weekend AAU/ club volleyball tournaments that were cancelled since March, all the hotel rooms lost, 2-3 meals per day for local restaurants...GIGANTIC economic impact from cancelling these.

We put alot of stock in the medical community, but I really think you're going to see a much different approach if anything like this happens again. I think you're going to see govenor's need to take the information from the medical AND business communites moving forward.

There's AAU in the fall? For what sports?
There are some leagues in, mostly, the cities for basketball. I think Columbus has a Nike league on weekends for about 6 weeks. Of course , you have some travel baseball in the fall.

Ncaa extended the recruiting dead period thru August 31, so any AAU tourneys this summer will not have college coaches in attendance.

Saw an “open run” or “open gym” event took place in Columbus last weekend, and supposed to be one in Cincinnati this weekend. Just curious as to how these are taking place? I thought restrictions said only kids from the same school could play against each other?

AAU events have been canceled through July in Ohio. There were several tournaments that were hopefully going to go off. Teams had been playing out of state for the past couple weeks. I guess some of those are still a go, but I'm guessing you will see a lot of them canceled as well.

I don't know what the exact rules are for these shootouts/open runs or whatever they are being called, but I know quite a few places are doing them and saying they are "scrimmages." If I had to guess your gonna see those get canceled too.

I do think you're gonna see a lot of teams push their luck out of state (Indiana and Pa). I've talked to coaches/other parents who have done some now and they have seemed to go off ok, but who really knows. I do know I was just in Pittsburgh and they were taking everybody's temperature and everyone had to wear masks outside the players on the courts (refs/coaches still had to keep them on) and there were no issues that I'm aware off.

Who knows? I'm hardly one who is thinking this is a hoax, or just the flu (its not), but I'm kind of torn. I think with the proper precautions and enforcement of it, these events may be ok (or worst case no worse than a restaurant opening also with the proper precautions). But unfortunately I don't think Ohio is ready for that... Pittsburgh was night and day from even NE Ohio. Every one was wearing masks in public. Places wouldn't even let you in without one and people just went with it. Here, maybe 25 to 50 percent of people are willing to do that and I'm guessing in other parts of the state that number goes down to virtually nobody.

Ncaa extended the recruiting dead period thru August 31, so any AAU tourneys this summer will not have college coaches in attendance.
I am not saying that you are wrong about this and officially you are correct, but I can speak for baseball about this and there are plenty of D1 baseball "observers" watching baseball games down south.

I am not saying that you are wrong about this and officially you are correct, but I can speak for baseball about this and there are plenty of D1 baseball "observers" watching baseball games down south.

Basketball would be a little harder to get away with that...

So how are kids going to be recruited?

2020 recruiting is pretty much done. 2021 kids maybe colleges can have some camps in the fall (unlikely) or spring for kids to attend. Lots of film being sent to college coaches. Live streams of what AAU events are happening. I don’t know... it’s going to be different. I guess for kids who are going to be seniors it will be a lot of film of games from their junior year being sent to coaches. If there is a basketball season this year then film from senior year will be sent.

OAC (Mt Union) moved their schedule back 2 weeks, with only 9 games. Can see HS’s maybe playing 6-7 games and maybe a short playoff. 4 teams from each region ?

OAC (Mt Union) moved their schedule back 2 weeks, with only 9 games. Can see HS’s maybe playing 6-7 games and maybe a short playoff. 4 teams from each region ?
Maybe the answer is to stay with intro school play and cancel fall sports to make sure we are 100% ready for winter sports.

Gotta give football a chance. Players and coaches deserve it. Day to day in strange times. Wish all the best ??

2020 recruiting is pretty much done. 2021 kids maybe colleges can have some camps in the fall (unlikely) or spring for kids to attend. Lots of film being sent to college coaches. Live streams of what AAU events are happening. I don’t know... it’s going to be different. I guess for kids who are going to be seniors it will be a lot of film of games from their junior year being sent to coaches. If there is a basketball season this year then film from senior year will be sent.
Thanks

For anyone who cares, I actually did officiate some "AAU" (it was a different organization) this past weekend for a trusted assigner. Here's a summary of what happened in ONE of my six games...

(1) Head coach of the team winning by over 20 points is assessed a technical foul for acting like a buffoon after a clean blocked shot.
(2) Head coach of the other team comes at me for trying to talk his player out of taunting, and is himself assessed a technical foul.
(3) Both head coaches are subsequently assessed their second T's and ejected for yelling at each other.
(4) Player on the winning team dunks the ball and smacks the backboard while hanging on the rim, and is assessed a technical foul. The entire bench acts like I just committed a murder.
(5) With 30 seconds left and a running two opposing players chest each other up, and we end the game there with the outcome not in doubt.

And I get called "racist" walking off the floor even though my partner and I were the only two white people involved in this game. :ROFLMAO:

In another game my partner T'd an assistant coach for jumping off the bench to express his displeasure about a call (all coaches worth their salt know this is a big no-no). The head coach then proceeds to play dumb and eventually gets one himself (and we got called the "emotional" ones :ROFLMAO:). A few possessions later there is a throw-in muffed by the offense that goes into the backcourt, and that same coach is expecting me to whistle a backcourt violation (which would give his team the ball) right in front of his bench and is, to put it lightly, disappointed that I did not. (We were able to give him an explanation of the ruling before he showed himself the door.)

It's good to be back, but a good reminder of why I and many of my brethren accept very few of these games.

Unfortunately you had a bad experience with some of the fine AAU programs. Most seem to teach the game and know the game far better than the high school coaches do at the high school level - at least that is what many parents and players say. AAU can be a great opportunity to get better and more importantly play a game they love. Too many though believe it is their ticket to a scholarship. I would keep reffing those games and maybe your quality officiating can help change negatives to positives.

For anyone who cares, I actually did officiate some "AAU" (it was a different organization) this past weekend for a trusted assigner. Here's a summary of what happened in ONE of my six games...

(1) Head coach of the team winning by over 20 points is assessed a technical foul for acting like a buffoon after a clean blocked shot.
(2) Head coach of the other team comes at me for trying to talk his player out of taunting, and is himself assessed a technical foul.
(3) Both head coaches are subsequently assessed their second T's and ejected for yelling at each other.
(4) Player on the winning team dunks the ball and smacks the backboard while hanging on the rim, and is assessed a technical foul. The entire bench acts like I just committed a murder.
(5) With 30 seconds left and a running two opposing players chest each other up, and we end the game there with the outcome not in doubt.

And I get called "racist" walking off the floor even though my partner and I were the only two white people involved in this game. :ROFLMAO:

In another game my partner T'd an assistant coach for jumping off the bench to express his displeasure about a call (all coaches worth their salt know this is a big no-no). The head coach then proceeds to play dumb and eventually gets one himself (and we got called the "emotional" ones :ROFLMAO:). A few possessions later there is a throw-in muffed by the offense that goes into the backcourt, and that same coach is expecting me to whistle a backcourt violation (which would give his team the ball) right in front of his bench and is, to put it lightly, disappointed that I did not. (We were able to give him an explanation of the ruling before he showed himself the door.)

It's good to be back, but a good reminder of why I and many of my brethren accept very few of these games.

Lot of techs, bro.

Unfortunately you had a bad experience with some of the fine AAU programs. Most seem to teach the game and know the game far better than the high school coaches do at the high school level - at least that is what many parents and players say. AAU can be a great opportunity to get better and more importantly play a game they love. Too many though believe it is their ticket to a scholarship. I would keep reffing those games and maybe your quality officiating can help change negatives to positives.
Unfortunately for me to be an "AAU regular" the tourney directors will need to, at a minimum, pony up and start paying for 3-man crews AND paying more per official per game. Until that happens (it won't as long as there are officials willing to take the games under the current conditions), I won't be a regular.

This situation was unique in that I trust the assigner (he was in a bind), was working with a good friend, wanted the court time after not having games since February, and the tournament actually paid more than others and treated the officials well.