Confirmed Covid Shutdowns- OHIO

For the downplayers of this virus, there must be something different about COVID versus the flu because:
1. the flu has a season. It usually starts around November/December and ends/goes away around April. But Covid has no season or end and just keeps hammering away. Why isn't Covid just going away??
2. we know for fact that it is way more contagious than the flu.
3. the flu has never cancelled hundreds/thousands of games or called for games with little to no fans in the NBA, NHL, MLB and possibly NFL, college football, HS football.

So what's really going on? Especially they are doing it despite losing massive amounts of $$$. Would love to hear a logical explanation since it is just a minor flu?.
Sources for your facts? Which flu is seasonal?

I was referring to the thoughts in the medical field as to the severity of the virus it self. I am not discharging the thought that social distancing helped in flattening the curve of spreading. In December medical experts said this was nothing to worry about. In March it was going to wipe out a large portion of our country in 30 days. In June the same experts suggest safe practices and recommend good health choices to control it. Lots of changes have been made. Of course we have learned a lot too.

"In December medical experts said this was nothing to worry about."

Given the virus was discovered that month, and the analogous virus' were SARS and MERS which had little impact on the U.S. and our history of reaction well to contagions like those and H1N1, that was probably reasonable.

"In March it was going to wipe out a large portion of our country in 30 days."

Excess mortality in the U.S. in April was roughly +30% (about 15,000 deaths per week above average). That was with mitigation that began in stages in March.

"In June the same experts suggest safe practices and recommend good health choices to control it. Lots of changes have been made. Of course we have learned a lot too."

Are you saying, what we know now, we should have known then?

Also, thanks for a good faith discussion.

Then it must be pretty powerful for all the organizations and people to be afraid of a lawsuit. Says a lot!
This has been a sue happy era for lawsuits for awhile now. People sue for a lot less things, and a lot more things then Covid. So not that powerful that way. Please don't forget the fear mongering of the virus from the media too.

Which flu is seasonal? The website you provided suggests that flu-like symptoms are COVID related.....there may be spikes in winter related flu cases and symtoms, but the virus' are with us everyday, just as Covid-19 is with us everyday.

Quote today from NCAA President Mark Emmert, " I certainly think that sitting here today, there will be football in the fall".
Maybe for the NCAA. But they have way more $$$ and resources to draw from to help them manage trying to pull it off than High Schools.

This has been a sue happy era for lawsuits for awhile now. People sue for a lot less things, and a lot more things then Covid. So not that powerful that way. Please don't forget the fear mongering of the virus from the media too.
So to use many on here's logic, go live in your bunker, you may get sued for mowing your lawn or anything else.

NCAA schools are currently testing every athlete that returns to campus. Anyone know of a single K-12 school doing the same? Anyone know of a district that could afford that? And the college kids are basically being put in bubbles upon their return. Heck at Ohio State you can be kicked off the team for leaving your bubble.

Huge difference

Which flu is seasonal? The website you provided suggests that flu-like symptoms are COVID related.....there may be spikes in winter related flu cases and symtoms, but the virus' are with us everyday, just as Covid-19 is with us everyday.

While seasonal influenza (flu) viruses are detected year-round in the United States, flu viruses are most common during the fall and winter. The exact timing and duration of flu seasons can vary, but influenza activity often begins to increase in October. Most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, although activity can last as late as May.

• Laboratory-confirmed flu activity is low at this time.
  • Elevated influenza-like-illness is likely related to COVID-19.

The above bullet points mean that they see low flu activity based on testing for the flu currently and any flu-like symptom is probably related to COVID-19 and not the flu.

It doesn't go away.....same website.
I saw a "most common time of the year". So again you are talking about rare ouliers. That is not the case with COVID as of now. It's pounding the US pretty hard and we are in June/July. I don't see the flu pounding us in June/July. I see it hitting us November-April.

I saw a "most common time of the year". So again you are talking about rare ouliers. That is not the case with COVID as of now. It's pounding the US pretty hard and we are in June/July. I don't see the flu pounding us in June/July. I see it hitting us November-April.

I would say a more accurate description is that it's still spreading widely in the US in June. I would infer that if it was pounding us deaths would be up which they're not. And who knows what we'll see in July.

Sure it does. They are willing to lose money because of the disease. That is powerful and says a lot.
Lol. It still doesn't no matter how badly you want it to be the case. Remember when the NBA players tested positive? They are fine, no? Zeke Elliot is fine. Has any professional athlete not recovered from this mild virus?

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can get this Covid test now. So testing is up huge, which results in more positive cases. People carry viruses all year, but you would not know, because everyone just don't go get tested for the flu.

I guess I don’t agree with “pounding”. If more testing and more a-symptomatic people is pounding then you are correct. We could also test everyone for flu A and B as well as other outlier flu related illnesses and find results as well. Too early to make assumptions based upon news stories. One “fact” is that deaths are down to a trickle compared to months ago. Double edged sword when there are testing sites. We don’t see flu testing as such in any month.

While seasonal influenza (flu) viruses are detected year-round in the United States, flu viruses are most common during the fall and winter. The exact timing and duration of flu seasons can vary, but influenza activity often begins to increase in October. Most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, although activity can last as late as May.

• Laboratory-confirmed flu activity is low at this time.
  • Elevated influenza-like-illness is likely related to COVID-19.

The above bullet points mean that they see low flu activity based on testing for the flu currently and any flu-like symptom is probably related to COVID-19 and not the flu.
Right. So we assume everyone with the flu is Covid related. The CDC is really selling this.

I would say a more accurate description is that it's still spreading widely in the US in June. I would infer that if it was pounding us deaths would be up which they're not. And who knows what we'll see in July.
We kind of do know. It will continue on it's merry way and continue to spread and infect. The unknown is: deaths? And the potential long term after affects for people that get it.

We kind of do know. It will continue on it's merry way and continue to spread and infect. The unknown is: deaths? And the potential long term after affects for people that get it.

True. But I would argue that the known collateral damage from staying closed down is likely to dwarf anything covid does to us.

Reopening was and is our only choice. And the more restrictions we put on reopening the less it's a reopening and the more it resembles a shut down. And the more it resembles a shut down the more likely that shut down related collateral damage will happen.

The closer we get to "normal" the less we'll see of the long term pathology associated with our existing in an abnormal social state. So wherever possible restore normalcy. I would argue that extra curricular activities in their own small way represent a return to normalcy. And the risk of starting these activities back up again appears to be low.

Many of these arguments are around the deaths ? Besides those thousands or tens of thousands, what about the thousands who don’t die but have scarred and inflamed lungs that they suffer with for life ? The new concern is for the asymptomatic, especially the young. X-rays of their lungs show the beginning of scarring without the pain at this time. But what are the future consequences? Next year ? A decade ? And let’s forget about those who recover but spend months in a hospital suffering. This for a game ?

And people don’t see lawsuits ?
Who will get sued? Some Chinese lab technician or God?

NCAA schools are currently testing every athlete that returns to campus. Anyone know of a single K-12 school doing the same? Anyone know of a district that could afford that? And the college kids are basically being put in bubbles upon their return. Heck at Ohio State you can be kicked off the team for leaving your bubble.

Huge difference
I'm sorry, but they are taking this testing way to far. Who is paying for all these tests? I know we all will be in do time.

True. But I would argue that the known collateral damage from staying closed down is likely to dwarf anything covid does to us.

Reopening was and is our only choice. And the more restrictions we put on reopening the less it's a reopening and the more it resembles a shut down. And the more it resembles a shut down the more likely that shut down related collateral damage will happen.

The closer we get to "normal" the less we'll see of the long term pathology associated with our existing in an abnormal social state. So wherever possible restore normalcy. I would argue that extra curricular activities in their own small way represent a return to normalcy. And the risk of starting these activities back up again appears to be low.
I don't question re-opening. We had to do that. But it's the how we did it and are doing it. And because of that we are heading south and may have to shut down again. When they put out the guidelines for reopening by phases and benchmarks, those were pretty much ignored from the beginning. And the leadership at every level regarding the guidelines given to re-opening was pathetic.