One year ago today...Hey Coldwater What Do You Say…The Cavs Won The State Title Today

In this age of specialization even I recognized some of the players as also playing football at Coldwater. Reminds me so much of the small country school I went to. If everyone didn't take part, you didn't have a school play, a chorus, a band or sports.
How many of the baseball team also played football and basketball?

In this age of specialization even I recognized some of the players as also playing football at Coldwater. Reminds me so much of the small country school I went to. If everyone didn't take part, you didn't have a school play, a chorus, a band or sports.
How many of the baseball team also played football and basketball?
The key, especially at smaller schools, in cooperation between the coaches. Football and baseball are king in the Village and in some towns the summers could be a battle between coaches for the players time.

The full cooperation started years ago with Coach John Reed. In that area of the state most of the players are involved in ACME baseball in June and July. That can obviously cause conflicts on a kids time with baseball and 7 on 7's, etc.

In the very late 80's (before all these 7/7s, etc) the new FB coach, who only lasted 11 games, scoffed at kids who put effort into baseball and thought they should be 100% in with football. Of course, the FB program at that time was at its lowest point ever, and he did not help matters by his remarks about playing baseball during the summer.

When the ACME tournament started (early July) Coach Reed (God Bless His Soul) would allow the starting pitcher that evening to just be a spotter at lifting that morning so he was fresh for the game.

A 7 on 7 scheduled the same night as an ACME tournament game? Coach R encouraged kids to play in the tournament game and at times had to go with his 3rd QB at the 7 on 7.

In turn, ACME baseball would not schedule a game, or require FB players, to attend a practice when there was a football event.
With that cooperation it takes away quite a bit of the conflict and questions for the kid of 'what to do'.
When you put the kids in the middle of a power struggle it hurts everyone involved.

I was involved in a program where the basketball coach was hostile to the kids (and the coach) for a kid missing a summer open gym and instead playing in an organized ACME summer baseball game. The kids then have to make a choice and I can tell you first hand they felt their PT would be hurt if they didnt attend the open gyms.

Moving to the modern times, Coach Chip Otten has also been very accommodating to the baseball program. He has been seen throwing BP to the summer baseball players and last June in Canton was as much of a cheerleader for the baseball team as anyone in the stands.

I urge more programs to work together and dont put the kids in the middle.

Right now it is Baseball 7, Football 6 on the title board with last year's thrilling victory on the diamond. It is now up to football to pull even again.

The.
Beat.
Goes.
On.

When I said small country school that was indeed what it was. When I graduated in 1958 it was the first year we topped 100 kids in all 12 grades added together. Didn't have 6man football. Basketball and baseball were the same coach. He also had "health" classes and PT. That childhood is probably the main reason I like D5, D6 and D7 football so well.