OHSAA and NFHS Reopening guidelines for Basketball...confusing

For those of you who have read both the documents(OHSAA and NFHS), what are your views on them. In the area that I live there are 4 schools that are less than 30 minutes away that are on totally different standards or protocols. Links are below if you can access them.

• School 1 is in Phase 1,
  • School 2 is not allowing teams into the gym for work only weight room in small groups
  • School 3 was already in the gym doing individual drills.
  • School 4, The school my child goes to is still deciding what they will allow for indoor sports. Looking at starting June 8th.

Just for full disclosure, I believe the athletes should be able to play and participate in all basketball-related drills. I do support and like the 10person max for the time being and don't see a problem with it through June. I would not have a problem with more being included (15-20).

I understand that each school district will make its own decision based on many different influences. I have no problem with it and agree with it.

I have read both DOCS a couple of times and it just seems that nobody from the OHSAA or NFHS is in touch with training athletes in a particular sport. 10 players 6 feet away doing bodyweight exercises or speed drills is not worth the drive to the school and wait for my kid...I will just keep him busy mowing the field...lol My kid has said active and is way better shape then he normally is at this point of the year....though the shot is off.

Some of the schools that my friend's kids play for seem to be progressing through Phase 1-2-3 very quickly;)....which I think is great.

What are other schools doing that you know of or what are your thoughts on the PHASES that were recommended? I personally think this is going to be a big mess for coaches concerning planning and workflow.

OHSAA DOC:

NFHS DOC:

The NFHS phases appear to be more like an offered procedure in reopening. They have not authority close or open anything but do have influence over all 50 states so I think it was good for them to put something out as guidance.
The Ohsaa guidelines are good suggestive actions for player to player contact can be made but actually they have given each school the right to make all of the decisions on what can and can't be done.

Some areas of our state have been hit much worse then others. I spent some time out enjoying the weather this weekend attending a grad party, visiting a lake and taking a nice drive with the top down. At not any of our stops this weekend did we see evidence of social distancing. I could count the number of people with masks on 1 hand. I even saw people shaking hands and giving hugs as they parted ways. Life needs to get back to normal.

Hopefully Coaches will follow guidelines. The health of these players are the Most important part. Unfortunately, I see some/many coaches going back to their old ways after a week or 2. Remember, it’s just a Game. Hopefully the Adults in the room will be Adults.

Hopefully scools just go with it. This virus isn't a death sentence for those under 25.

Last edited:
  • School 1 is in Phase 1,
  • School 2 is not allowing teams into the gym for work only weight room in small groups
  • School 3 was already in the gym doing individual drills.
  • School 4, The school my child goes to is still deciding what they will allow for indoor sports. Looking at starting June 8th.
School 3 was breaking the orders of the state govt, which had closed schools until June 30. That changed on May 22 that allowed skill training to start on May 26. So if they were doing individual drills before May 26, they were not compliant. My understanding is that each phase is to be 2 weeks long. Each school can delay opening up. But don't have the authority to open more quickly unless working directly with their county health department. In phase 1 kids can't even share a basketball. No passing drills. No rebounding for a shooter.

I fear that coaches will say they are complying and let kids go against each other, which is not allowed in phase 1 or 2, because 6' social distancing is enforced in both phase 1 and 2.

Hopefully Coaches will follow guidelines. The health of these players are the Most important part. Unfortunately, I see some/many coaches going back to their old ways after a week or 2. Remember, it’s just a Game. Hopefully the Adults in the room will be Adults.
Amy Acton is now saying the first case of Covid-19 in Ohio was know on Jan 7. If this is a bad as being promoted, why did nothing happen for over 2 months? This is not what people think. I know of a police officer who for 2 weeks thought he was dealing with allergies. Went to doctor and was tested positive. Was sent home and not one of the other 4 people in his house ever showed symptoms or tested positive. Respect others space and return to normal.

School 3 was breaking the orders of the state govt, which had closed schools until June 30. That changed on May 22 that allowed skill training to start on May 26. So if they were doing individual drills before May 26, they were not compliant. My understanding is that each phase is to be 2 weeks long. Each school can delay opening up. But don't have the authority to open more quickly unless working directly with their county health department. In phase 1 kids can't even share a basketball. No passing drills. No rebounding for a shooter.

I fear that coaches will say they are complying and let kids go against each other, which is not allowed in phase 1 or 2, because 6' social distancing is enforced in both phase 1 and 2.
The Ohio Gov. did rescind that request to close all schools when he said high school sports could begin no contact exercises on May 26th. BUt the NFHS phases are not and order. They are suggestions on a way to open up. Each state athletic organization may or may not chose to use them as a guideline to deal with their own issues in their state. NFHS has no governing authority.

School 3 waited until May 26th, so I didn't see a problem with it.

Though many other schools and coaches did have a problem with the school starting that early and the things they were doing.

As I have said I have no problem with having groups of 10 in the gym doing actual basketball drills if they are healthy to do so.

But, everyone one is interrupting the NFHS and OHSAA Guidelines differently

I guess that will be the issue for many schools and coaches. Some coaches see NFHS as guidelines and not actual mandates or restrictions. So then your left to look at the OHSAA guidelines which should be sport-specific and not so vague in estimation.

My Kids could start playing full right now, both stayed active and dedicated to their individual workouts for the last 3 months.

I guess that will be the issue for many schools and coaches. Some coaches see NFHS as guidelines and not actual mandates or restrictions.
That's because it is exactly what they are guidelines. Even Ohsaa has said over and over that their phases are guidelines and not mandatory steps. Regardless it could all be over very soon.