Your schools greatest team...

Lake Catholic 1992. Ran the table in D-3. Lots of talk at the time they could have won against the D1 team.
That talk was bogus.

Lake had their chance in 91 and lost to Ignatius. The 92 Ignatius team was better.

87 Princeton Vikings had 8 guys go D-1 3 made NFL , 2 of them played multiple years in NFL , 84 Princeton Vikings was loaded as well . 88 Vike USA Today preseason ranked 4 to start season finish top 5 , I still think all 3 of these teams beat the 2004 Colerain team

Nah, Undefeated 1978 State Champs. Beat Moeller in their heyday when Moeller was on top nationally. Your years are off. 1983 State Champions were nationally ranked. Mike Taylor was the #2 option QB in the country and went on to start at Michigan. ‘84 team was nationally ranked. Mike Taylor was injured and didn’t play the first two games of which the Vikes lost. Upon his return, ran the table crushing everyone. Was the best team in the state by that time, but, couldn’t qualify due to the losses without Mike Taylor. ‘87 State Champs were great. However, they did lose a game that year to the defending State Champs, Fairfield. ‘88 team was loaded as well and lost to Iggy in the finals getting stopped on the 1 yard line to start Iggy’s reign. QB ran his own play instead of the play Mancouso called and didn’t make it in the end zone. Got stopped 4 times inside the 5 with under a minute left in the game. Still disappointed about that.

Last edited:
2007 was the year that Parkway missed the playoffs and in my opinion was their best team. People might also forget that Parkway made the playoffs in 1999 and lost in the 2nd round. Those John Reed early 70's teams do deserve a mention and those might be the best. I really cant say when it comes to those teams. http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.jsp?teamID=1230&year=1999

New Bremen- I wasnt around for the 1988 team but i know that was also the only time New Bremen won a share of the league title. 2004 regional finalist lost to Hardin Northern Honorable mention: 2020 (if they play)

Minster- I'll leave that up to the Minster faithful

Fort Recovery- 2015
Anna- 2019

DSJ- I'll defer to the blue jay faithful because I never saw Zach Weber play.

St Henry- probably one of the bobby/Tommy hoying teams. Not my expertise to decide.

Coldwater- I mentioned the 2005 team already. 2nd is probably 2007

Marion Local- 2007 is my opinion but 2014 makes a strong case.

Versailles-- No clue. I'll defer to tiger country.
That 2014 MSML squad sure made mince meat out of my St. Paul Flyers in Title Game.

Nah, Undefeated 1978 State Champs. Beat Moeller in their heyday when Moeller was on top nationally. Your years are off. 1983 State Champions were nationally ranked. Mike Taylor was the #2 option QB in the country and went on to start at Michigan. ‘84 team was nationally ranked. Mike Taylor was injured and didn’t play the first two games of which the Vikes lost. Upon his return, ran the table crushing everyone. Was the best team in the state by that time, but, couldn’t qualify due to the losses without Mike Taylor. ‘87 State Champs were great. However, they did lose a game that year to the defending State Champs, Fairfield. ‘88 team was loaded as well and lost to Iggy in the finals getting stopped on the 1 yard line to start Iggy’s reign. QB ran his own play instead of the play Mancouso called and didn’t make it in the end zone. Got stopped 4 times inside the 5 with under a minute left in the game. Still disappointed about that.
That 1983 Princeton team was incredible. Watched them dismantle our Little Giants in the state semi-final game at Welcome Stadium.

Do you know what play was called and what was audible too ? Because I was in huddle when Mancuso used last 2 timeouts and told Johnny do not audible

Do you know what play was called and what was audible too ? Because I was in huddle when Mancuso used last 2 timeouts and told Johnny do not audible
I can’t remember the play. Johnny has told that story a time or two.

He called 2 because nobody moved the first time , till this day I can still remember his uncle crying after the game blaming Mancuso . I remember walking out and saying something to my dad and saying the all star changed the play, as I was walking past his uncle . He just stared at me , the best part of it was when Corson kicked him off the bus coming back from a baseball game and Corson said I’m not Cuso your done start walking

That 1983 Princeton team was incredible. Watched them dismantle our Little Giants in the state semi-final game at Welcome Stadium.
Princeton was outstanding, no doubt, but Ross was happy to be there, especially after 2 straight weeks of hard-fought and emotional draining games against Sandusky

...I'll stir the hornet's nest here, but good as they were, Princeton might not have been the best team in the state in '83.

...I'll stir the hornet's nest here, but good as they were, Princeton might not have been the best team in the state in '83.
Well, they won the state convincingly. Ok, I’ll bite. Who was in your opinion? Got a feeling who you may say.

Green Bulldogs 2001
10-4 record. Started 3-3 but won 7 consecutive games to make the state final four.
OR could go with the 2002 team that went 10-2. League title and #1 seed but lost to eventual state runner-up Nordonia in the 2nd round.
What year did they beat Youngstown Chaney in the playoffs? that was a great Youngstown Chaney team they beat.

MostChilly,
Yea, you probably have me figured...Princeton most likely would have won, but like some of your best teams that didn't get in, '83 was probably Centerville's 2nd best ever ( 2nd to '76 ) and didn't get to play. I do think our '83 team would have given you guys all you wanted though. I say this for 3 reasons.
1) They had a better offense than the '84 team that played you even in a scrimmage that year. We too had a D1 (Air Force) QB.
2) They were better overall than the '84 team that beat Moeller and
3) They were at least a touchdown better than the '80 team that lost to state champ Moeller 14-20.
I do concede that in other years ( though not our best teams ) that we played you guys in your prime, you owned us...but not that '83 team.

2018 Wyoming Cowboys. 15-0 State Champs and rolled their way through the playoffs (with a serious challenge in OT against league rival Indian Hill). Evan Prater's junior season with an absolutely loaded defense. Another great team in 2019 but they lost a little too much for just Prater's ability to be able to overcome. Lost to eventual D4 Champs Clyde (which I heard were on another level) in the state semis, which snapped a 28 game overall winning streak. They currently have (I think) a 41 game regular season winning streak going (haven't lost since 2015). Have to also mention the 98 team with Richard Hall that ended Valley View's crazy winning streak and lost to Coldwater in the semis, the 77 championship team, the 62 team, which went undefeated and unscored on (446-0) and the 09 regional championship team.

Wyoming has an amazing tradition (713-201-48 overall record, 2 state championships, 35 conference championships, only 11 losing seasons in 101 years). I don't have a dog in the fight, but to me, this is what a state championship looks like.....

1589215731192.png

2018 Wyoming Cowboys. 15-0 State Champs and rolled their way through the playoffs (with a serious challenge in OT against league rival Indian Hill). Evan Prater's junior season with an absolutely loaded defense. Another great team in 2019 but they lost a little too much for just Prater's ability to be able to overcome. Lost to eventual D4 Champs Clyde (which I heard were on another level) in the state semis, which snapped a 28 game overall winning streak. They currently have (I think) a 41 game regular season winning streak going (haven't lost since 2015). Have to also mention the 98 team with Richard Hall that ended Valley View's crazy winning streak and lost to Coldwater in the semis, the 77 championship team, the 62 team, which went undefeated and unscored on (446-0) and the 09 regional championship team.

Wyoming has an amazing tradition (713-201-48 overall record, 2 state championships, 35 conference championships, only 11 losing seasons in 101 years). I don't have a dog in the fight, but to me, this is what a state championship looks like.....

View attachment 7108
That 98 game vs Coldwater had the infamous do over play at the end of the half, a 14 pt turnaround.

My dad was an usher at Lima Stadium back in the 80s / early 90s and even as a young man I can remember going to those Lima Senior / Princeton games and thinking "this is not going to be pretty". Miss playing the Vikes in all sports, especially football.

I think Princeton finished nationally ranked 3 years in a row '83 = 2nd, '84 = 24th, '85 = 18th

The '86 team probably not, '87 team was but not sure what #

2017 Barberton Team. Not even close.

Or any of Jay Glazers magnificent teams while he was at Barberton

Dalton Bulldogs: 2017, first undefeated team in school history and was a fumble away in the regional title game from playing in the D-4 State Title game.
Coached against that team /son played against them in first round of playoffs that year... well coached and disciplined. Nothing flashy, just executed and solid in all phases. I was listening to the Cuyahoga Hts game on the radio when the fumble happened....It just killed me. I truly believe they would have been state champs.

View attachment 7108

Wow, undefeated and unscored on
That team deserved an AP Poll Title for sure!!!