One Year of Music?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
So you're going to be trapped on that famous deserted island where you get to take one thing with you, if you were able to take one full year of music with you, what year would you take?

Guess I should have gone with 2112 or 2525.
I see what you did there. (y)

For me, it's somewhere around 1991-1995. 1991 is my current frontrunner.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/albums_by_year/albums_1991.html

Not a big fan of Nevermind, but I can appreciate its significance. The year yielded 2 Guns N' Roses albums, my favorite U2 album, and offerings from 2pac, Cypress Hill, Soundgarden, Ozzy Osbourne, Ice Cube, Pearl Jam, Metallica (I prefer their earlier stuff, but I don't hate the Black album as much as Metallica purists do), Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, Skid Row, Hammer, etc. Rush also released an album in '91 which is a big plus for me.

1992 is also pretty strong with regards to my tastes.

1967, but you could probably talk me into the years around it...?

Can't really argue with picking that year...so many great things came out that year, myself included :giggle:

There are a couple duds here but you could fill them in with many from 67 that are not on this list...then I would argue there are a some years that would have no more than 1 or 2 popular songs that could crack the list. Definitely a year that deserves "respect", which happens to come in at #13 on the list...

Last edited:
Wow, this is tough. great years from the mid 60's to the early 70's and it's very tough to distinguish in going through those. Since then, there have been standout years but nothing sustained like the mid 60's to early 70's. 1991, 1984, 1982 and 1977 were all very solid.

Not a big fan of Nevermind, but I can appreciate its significance. The year yielded 2 Guns N' Roses albums, my favorite U2 album, and offerings from 2pac, Cypress Hill, Soundgarden, Ozzy Osbourne, Ice Cube, Pearl Jam, Metallica (I prefer their earlier stuff, but I don't hate the Black album as much as Metallica purists do), Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, Skid Row, Hammer, etc. Rush also released an album in '91 which is a big plus for me.

This.

Pearl Jam - Ten - 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic - 1991
Nirvana - Nevermind - 1991
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger - 1991
Alice and Chains - Dirt - 1992
U2 - Achtung Baby - 1991
Metallica - Black - 1991
G&R Use Your Illusion 1&2 - 1991

Great time for music.

Hard to argue against that.

This.

Pearl Jam - Ten - 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic - 1991
Nirvana - Nevermind - 1991
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger - 1991
Alice and Chains - Dirt - 1992
U2 - Achtung Baby - 1991
Metallica - Black - 1991
G&R Use Your Illusion 1&2 - 1991

Great time for music.
I do love me some GNR, no doubt about that. Their double album, while gouging the public by selling separately, had some amazing songs that never saw air play.

I do love me some GNR, no doubt about that. Their double album, while gouging the public by selling separately, had some amazing songs that never saw air play.
Me too. Same with many of those other albums in terms of great songs that never got any radio love.

This is tough and not sure what direction I would go in. I would have to introduce myself to the "Best of" and "Greatest hits" type albums or those box-sets if that would count as you could get a band's complete discography on its release year.... unless that is cheating.....