Ohio's tournaments...coronavirus may throw a wrench into it

Is there something about "virus" you don't want to understand? Your cancer doesnt give anyone else cancer. Your heart disease doesn't give anyone else heart disease, let alone in true exponential fashion.

The reaction is because this virus as opposed to others is not considered understood. Precaution with a game is not going to dramatically change anyone's life. A virus out of hand, will.

You'll survive the inconvenience, promise.

Death is the solution to many problems. What is there to be afraid of? We get sick and die so then what? No worries here.....

Another total over reaction.....

How many Americans in the US die from the regular flu during a season? About 40,000
How many Americans die in car crashes a given year..... hey, we all drive to games....

I've been screaming about the soccer mom mentality for years and once again here it is.

OSU have closed classes but I am betting they will allow fans at the Michigan/OSU hockey game on Sunday......
So you're saying Italy basically shutting their entire country down is because of soccer moms?

As of Monday, over 9,000 people in Italy had contracted the COVID-19 disease caused by the new coronavirus, and more than 463 others have died. The new figures make the country home to the largest number of infections outside China, the epicenter of the epidemic.

According to Italy's national health institute, the average age of those who have died was 81, and many of the deceased had preexisting health conditions. Only one in five coronavirus patients is between 19 and 50 years old, making the older population significantly more impacted by the virus in Italy.

Monday's numbers also confirm that the death rate in Italy is higher than it is in other parts of the world. Four-hundred sixty-three out of 9,172 people infected with the virus in Italy have died thus far, equaling a death rate of about 5%. In contrast, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said the global death rate is only 3.4%.

There are 955 confirmed cases of the virus in the U.S. At this time you have a better chance of getting the flu.

Is there something about "virus" you don't want to understand? Your cancer doesnt give anyone else cancer. Your heart disease doesn't give anyone else heart disease, let alone in true exponential fashion.

The reaction is because this virus as opposed to others is not considered understood. Precaution with a game is not going to dramatically change anyone's life. A virus out of hand, will.

You'll survive the inconvenience, promise.
I get the virus thanks. The inconsistency by the governer is the problem. Why in your imperial wisdom are the blue jackets not playing in front of no fans oh great wizard?

Its been a long time since I live in Italy so I have no idea what the mentality is there.
My point is countries all over the world are taking drastic measures in hopes to get ahead of this. The problem with this virus, besides not having a cure/vaccine, is the 14 day incubation period where you show no symptoms but are contagious. What if you found at at this very moment you have the virus. Now think back to everything you've done over the past 2 weeks, places you've gone, people you've interacted with. THAT is the precautions you see are being taken. It's one thing to see someone sick and keep away from them, it's another to be around untold people that are contagious and sick but look and feel perfectly normal. That's an incredibly dangerous situation to the health of the entire public.

The OHSAA's job is to run the tournament, not tell us what where we can and can't go as fans. Everyone knows the virus is a (very minimal) threat and if a normal spectator feels that they are in danger it is their right to STAY HOME. Good to see the OHSAA now getting into the parenting business, not just for the HS athletes but also for the adult fans, telling is who can and cannot attend a basketball game. My life and well being feels much safer now that the OHSAA is going to make sure that me and most of my community can't go support our local athletes that have worked all season (in some cases their whole lives) to make it to regionals.

Exactly

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1583894097773.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583894097773.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 36
The OHSAA's job is to run the tournament, not tell us what where we can and can't go as fans. Everyone knows the virus is a (very minimal) threat and if a normal spectator feels that they are in danger it is their right to STAY HOME. Good to see the OHSAA now getting into the parenting business, not just for the HS athletes but also for the adult fans, telling is who can and cannot attend a basketball game. My life and well being feels much safer now that the OHSAA is going to make sure that me and most of my community can't go support our local athletes that have worked all season (in some cases their whole lives) to make it to regionals.
There’s always next year. Not that big of a deal, seriously.

There are 955 confirmed cases of the virus in the U.S. At this time you have a better chance of getting the flu.

Key word is confirmed. We have been testing at such an alarmingly low rate that's it is definitely falsely obscuring the numbers. Think of it like Chernobyl. Their initial reading at the site were super low, and they all were like, "see, it's not so bad, no need to panic." But what was ignored was the fact that their readings were so low because the instruments couldn't go any higher. The real readings were 1000 times worse. If we barely test around the country, of course the amount of positives will be low. That's just simple math. But that doesn't mean the actual amount of infected people is low.

Key word is confirmed. We have been testing at such an alarmingly low rate that's it is definitely falsely obscuring the numbers. Think of it like Chernobyl. Their initial reading at the site were super low, and they all were like, "see, it's not so bad, no need to panic." But what was ignored was the fact that their readings were so low because the instruments couldn't go any higher. The real readings were 1000 times worse. If we barely test around the country, of course the amount of positives will be low. That's just simple math. But that doesn't mean the actual amount of infected people is low.

Yes you are correct on low testing....but do you test everybody with no symptoms...how many false positives do you get? The info that Italy shows is this virus is brutal to older people. The population of Italy is older then most places for a country of 60.8 million people. The city of Wuhan is 11.1 million people...the state of Ohio is 11.6 million people

Your comparing this virus to a nuclear disaster? Really? Go watch more CNN or PMSNBC. I don’t need more government idiots telling me what’s best for me. People should be able to make a decision on where and when they want to attend something. If people are that concerned, stay home.

Yes you are correct on low testing....but do you test everybody with no symptoms...how many false positives do you get? The info that Italy shows is this virus is brutal to older people. The population of Italy is older then most places for a country of 60.8 million people. The city of Wuhan is 11.1 million people...the state of Ohio is 11.6 million people
OK, so you're saying that knowing all the facts that we do know about this virus, specifically the 2 week period when you show no signs and are contagious, we should just sit back and wait?

There’s always next year. Not that big of a deal, seriously.
Tell a school like Parkway there is always next year. Before this season that school had never made it past a district semi-final and now they are one game away from state. A once in a lifetime opportunity to watch a community come together and support a group of students breaking through new barriers......but no one from Rockford or the surrounding communities will be able to do so because of a few chicken little's.

Your comparing this virus to a nuclear disaster? Really? Go watch more CNN or PMSNBC. I don’t need more government idiots telling me what’s best for me. People should be able to make a decision on where and when they want to attend something. If people are that concerned, stay home.
And they are free to decide who can attend THEIR event. They are free to cancel it completely if they want, no?

And I compared our testing specifically to the testing done at that nuclear disaster, not the entire disaster. Does anyone know how to think critically anymore or use even the tiniest bit of nuance? Geesh

Last edited:
OK, so you're saying that know all the facts that we do know about this virus, specifically the 2 week period when you show no signs and are contagious, we should just sit back and wait?

I am not saying sit back and wait but facts and fear need to be aligned. The numbers I am watching are Italy's, I wonder about the accuracy of China's numbers

And they are free to decide who can attend THEIR event. They are free to cancel it completely if they want, no?

And I compared our testing specifically to the testing done at that nuclear disaster, not the a tial disaster. Does anyone know how to think critically anymore or even use even the tiniest bit of nuance? Geesh
This is blown completely out of proportion. Let’s all live in bubbles. Too many people think they know the answers. This is total CYA. If you want to lock yourself in your house till summer go ahead. Adults should be able to decide for themselves what is best for them.

OK, so you're saying that knowing all the facts that we do know about this virus, specifically the 2 week period when you show no signs and are contagious, we should just sit back and wait?
Based on your reasoning, why are HS and grade school classes not cancelled right now. I mean right NOW? Cavs and Bluejackets? NCAA Tourney in Cleveland? St. Patty's day parade? All still on. This is a hypocritical crap show.

My point is countries all over the world are taking drastic measures in hopes to get ahead of this. The problem with this virus, besides not having a cure/vaccine, is the 14 day incubation period where you show no symptoms but are contagious. What if you found at at this very moment you have the virus. Now think back to everything you've done over the past 2 weeks, places you've gone, people you've interacted with. THAT is the precautions you see are being taken. It's one thing to see someone sick and keep away from them, it's another to be around untold people that are contagious and sick but look and feel perfectly normal. That's an incredibly dangerous situation to the health of the entire public.
There’s the side of the medical community at large, various agencies committed to the cause of promoting and advancing public health as well as intelligence, state/local government and defense experts. Epidemiologists, ex-Homeland Security types and everyone in between. They all have driven the point home about the seriousness, scope, and magnitude to which the coronavirus pandemic can (and likely WILL) reach stateside and the disruptions socially, economically and structurally that will incur as our country is currently woefully behind in the testing, research and infrastructure necessary to stem off the outbreak.

And then there is the side of jilted amateur basketball fans who think “this is government hysteria” and that everyone sounding the horn on the COVID-19 outbreak is just a big dumb***.[/B]

Tell a school like Parkway there is always next year. Before this season that school had never made it past a district semi-final and now they are one game away from state. A once in a lifetime opportunity to watch a community come together and support a group of students breaking through new barriers......but no one from Rockford or the surrounding communities will be able to do so because of a few chicken little's.
And there’s something formative to be had in experiencing disappointment. That’s life. I’m sure the sun will rise tomorrow, there.

There’s the side of the medical community at large, various agencies committed to the cause of promoting and advancing public health as well as intelligence, state/local government and defense experts. Epidemiologists, ex-Homeland Security types and everyone in between. They all have driven the point home about the seriousness, scope, and magnitude to which the coronavirus pandemic can (and likely WILL) reach stateside and the disruptions socially, economically and structurally that will incur as our country is currently woefully behind in the testing, research and infrastructure necessary to stem off the outbreak.

And then there is the side of jilted amateur basketball fans who think “this is government hysteria” and that everyone sounding the horn on the COVID-19 outbreak is just a big dumb***.[/B]
Complete hysteria. You have a higher chance of contracting the flu than you do this virus. There is so much misinformation. CYA

Get over yourself. This is about the kids, and they are getting robbed.
Getting robbed is having a season cancelled by a teacher’s strike. They still get to play the game, here.

And no one here has made it about the kids, at all here. They’re only making it about themselves, the fans, and how the local sports team is a projection of their community against the rest of Ohio.

It’s not about what’s best for you. It’s about what’s best to avoid the spread of the virus across the entire community.

Complete hysteria. You have a higher chance of contracting the flu than you do this virus. There is so much misinformation. CYA

And the misinformation is being spouted by yourself. Not taking this thing seriously and not taking precautions would just be one of the dumbest decisions possible. Best to take caution and limit the spread as much as possible compared to burying your head in the sand and letting it spread like wild fire and overrun the health care system in this country. This thing is only going to get worse in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
It’s not about what’s best for you. It’s about what’s best to avoid the spread of the virus across the entire community.
I still get to go. It’s not about me at all. It’s about how local school teams are part of community and pride in that community. Players still get to play but it won’t be the same. The two biggest weeks of the season and fans, students, relatives, alumni and teachers won’t be there for support. Spectators should be able to choose if the want to attend. They shouldn’t be told by bureaucrats what’s best for them. If you’re concerned about getting this virus, stay home.

I still get to go. It’s not about me at all. It’s about how local school teams are part of community and pride in that community. Players still get to play but it won’t be the same. The two biggest weeks of the season and fans, students, relatives, alumni and teachers won’t be there for support. Spectators should be able to choose if the want to attend. They shouldn’t be told by bureaucrats what’s best for them. If you’re concerned about getting this virus, stay home.
You’re actually being told “what’s best” for you by Governor DeWine, who you may have voted for!

And Ohio is one of the oldest state's in the USA.