The Elimination of Jersey Numbers Could Be Coming

Mr. Slippery

I'm told that the OATCCC is working on a proposal to eliminate jersey numbers. My question is this: If it eventually comes to fruition, what will be left for people to complain about on message boards such as this one? Will it be all 4th division, all the time?

I'm told that the OATCCC is working on a proposal to eliminate jersey numbers. My question is this: If it eventually comes to fruition, what will be left for people to complain about on message boards such as this one? Will it be all 4th division, all the time?

Let's hope that the officials get the order straight when listing the finishers on paper. Otherwise, statisticians (like me) will only shake their heads. Not knowing the order of a relay is most disconcerting.

So, then they will have to have bibs pinned on. Not sure that's any better.
They already have to wear bibs for XC even with the numbers and they do not have to wear bibs in other states without uniform numbers for track. Or more precisely they don’t use uniform numbers for automatic timing because the cameras do not use the back of the uniform, so any bibs or stickers used are already in use even with uniform numbers.

i would have to say i don’t mind with the numbers on the jerseys either way. keep them on, fine. take them off, fine. the only thing i’ve ever seen numbers used for is verifying athletes at districts/regionals/state.

but we need a 4th division. no reason to not have one.

but we need a 4th division. no reason to not have one.

You will probably get that in the near future but it will not help many programs if they stick to the equal numbers of schools in each division. The giant schools will still be in D1 grouped with schools of 500 students. The schools with 300-500 will be happy being pushed into D2, but most of the schools already there will not be thrilled with bigger schools to contend with. Many of the current D2 powers will be very upset. D3 will be a mix with some happy and many not. They will probably have to pull some larger current D3 teams up. And D4 that remain from those that got pushed up, will be happy.

This does not solve the majority of the issues people voice. Having coached at a school around 500-600 for years I see D1 having such a wide range of populations as the biggest issue and it really does not get solved. D1 will still include schools with 500-600 all the way to 1400+. OATCCC should try to get OHSAA to understand track & XC are not soccer or basketball. It is detrimental as a whole to have equal numbers of teams in each division instead of similar sized schools grouped in each division even if it means unequal numbers per division.

Mathking is correct about the numbers and bibs.

So, let me beat the 4th division dead horse. To solve the issues. Divide the total schools into thirds like they do now and then divide the top third in half. This would roughly break the divisions down to 1-149 = D4, 150-299=D3 , 300-599=D2, 600+=D1. Or just have those cut offs no matter how many schools have those numbers. Done

You will probably get that in the near future but it will not help many programs if they stick to the equal numbers of schools in each division. The giant schools will still be in D1 grouped with schools of 500 students. The schools with 300-500 will be happy being pushed into D2, but most of the schools already there will not be thrilled with bigger schools to contend with. Many of the current D2 powers will be very upset. D3 will be a mix with some happy and many not. They will probably have to pull some larger current D3 teams up. And D4 that remain from those that got pushed up, will be happy.

This does not solve the majority of the issues people voice. Having coached at a school around 500-600 for years I see D1 having such a wide range of populations as the biggest issue and it really does not get solved. D1 will still include schools with 500-600 all the way to 1400+. OATCCC should try to get OHSAA to understand track & XC are not soccer or basketball. It is detrimental as a whole to have equal numbers of teams in each division instead of similar sized schools grouped in each division even if it means unequal numbers per division.
This has come up before and I always come back to what is the criteria. I personally think it should be broken down by total enrollment. There should be the same number of kids in each division, not schools. Haven't done the math recently, but seems like D1 would contain roughly 70 teams in the scenario. Why should a D4 kid have a better chance at making it to state than a D1 kid?