North Coast League Memorial Thread

Just.here

As expected, the North Coast League has now been disbanded for all sports following this school year.
Where does everyone go next?
Is there a new private school league in the works?

Let's hope not the Portage Trail Conference...mind as well rename it Private Tuition Conference. Knowing the "leadership" of the county conference AD's it is highly likely a few do end up...

I can see all schools going independent but forming scheduling alliances. East side Lake, NDCL, VASJ and Benedictine all play each other West side Holy Name, EC once they get tossed out of current league hook up with Padua and Central Catholic to play each other.

I’ve only followed this topic peripherally. Is the NCL break-up about 95% related to Hoban football or are there other significant reasons involved?

This has been known for a while now. It was pretty much common knowledge during track season last year that the conference was done. It really is a shame because it was s pretty good conference especially in the White division. I can see Gilmour going to the PTC and have in fact heard some pretty strong whispers to that end. Not too sure about VASJ, but they are an attractive program that is really trending upward right now, especially in football. Losing the stability of the NCL could be bad for CCC.

I can see all schools going independent but forming scheduling alliances. East side Lake, NDCL, VASJ and Benedictine all play each other West side Holy Name, EC once they get tossed out of current league hook up with Padua and Central Catholic to play each other.
I assume Walsh Jesuit would still want to schedule Lake, NDCL, and Benedictine, and vice versa. I could also see St. V-M appearing on a few of these schools' schedules in the future.

I posted something similar to this post on the basketball thread, here is what I see the remaining schools doing regarding conferences with 2 different scenarios.

Scenario 1: remaining NCL schools sans Hoban and Bene to form a new version of the NCL or rename new conference after the former Crown Conference. Schools would be. More than likely this could be a football only league considering football is the driving point for joining conferences

CCC
Lake Catholic
NDCL
VASJ
Walsh Jesuit

Scenario 2: Remaining schools joining new leagues or going Independent

Hoban -Independent
Benedictine -Independent
CCC -Lake Erie League
Gilmour Academy -CVC Valley
Lake Catholic -CVC Chagrin
NDCL -CVC Chagrin, WRC, Independent
Padua -Great Lakes Conference
Walsh Jesuit -Suburban or Independent
Warren JFK -Confirmed for PTC
VASJ -Independent

I heard that all of the AD's are going to have a memorial service then all of them, other than the Hoban AD, are going to the nearest bar and signing an agreement for a new league.

In High School athletic leagues really serve no meaningful team purpose outside of football as everyone makes the postseason. Yes League titles are nice but not the be all end all since there really seems to be no history to associate these titles to like in NCAA sports. To me a soccer, basketball, baseball, etc.. District or Regional title means a lot more than the some series of letters League title. Without District style scheduling where HS football teams of the same size play a set geographically based schedule to determine playoff representation leagues will form and break apart due to scheduling concerns in the ever changing landscape of secondary education. Unless the similar sized local pubs start inviting these schools into their leagues, which I never see happening for the majority, I think the answer is to form some sort of state wide consortium with like sized institutions and play these games in the 2nd half of the season when the pubs are in their league play.

As for the balance of the sports I have always been of the opinion that each sport should stand its own and make it unique and student focused, hockey and wrestling seems to be able to do this. Wouldn't a local winter holiday weekend basketball tourney be a cool event and a great experience? Why not resurrect the Knights of Columbus track meet indoor and outdoor with an emphasis on more relays and events not sanctioned by the OHSAA like the Steeple Chase and a multi event "athalon" to crown the best track athlete. Same thing on the swim side with more relays and a 1650 plus 3 meter diving. While at it include CYO athletes and give them a taste of the big stage.

Last edited:
In High School athletics leagues really serve no meaningful team purpose outside of football as everyone makes the postseason. Yes League titles are nice but not the be all end all since there really seems to be no history to associate these titles to like in NCAA sports. To me a soccer, basketball, baseball, etc.. District or Regional title means a lot more than the some series of letters League title Without District style scheduling where HS football teams of the same size play a set geographically based schedule to determine playoff representation leagues will form and break apart due to scheduling concerns in the ever changing landscape of secondary education. Unless the similar sized local pubs start inviting these schools into their leagues, which I never see happening for the majority, I think the answer is to form some sort of state wide consortium with like sized institutions and play these games in the 2nd half of the season when the pubs are in their league play.

As for the balance of the sports I have always been of the opinion that each sport should stand its own and make it unique and student focused, hockey and wrestling seems to be able to do this. Wouldn't a local winter holiday weekend basketball tourney be a cool event and a great experience? Why not resurrect the Knights of Columbus track meet indoor and outdoor with an emphasis on more relays and events not sanctioned by the OHSAA like the Steeple Chase and a multi event "athalon" to crown the best track athlete. Same thing on the swim side with more relays and a 1650 plus 3 meter diving. While at it include CYO athletes and give them a taste of the big stage.

Good stuff Auggie. We're showing out age when we remember the K of C Meet.

s-l400.jpg

could a variation of: Lake, NDCL, VASJ, Gilmour, University, Walsh, EC, CCC work as a conference? Who says no?

I’d say Gilmour because of their size and looking for a conference with schools that carry similar #’s on the football field.

But if the animosity from other PAC 8 schools towards CVCA, it could be enough for them to leave the PAC 8, they could join in on a new league with Lake, NDCL, VASJ, CCC, and Walsh and on top add University into the mix if they are willing to join. This could eventually become a football only league if this comes into fruition.

SVSM 2020 schedule is not final but SVSM playing only 2 former NCL teams, Hoban and Walsh. Surprised not to see one or two more teams, Benedictine, LC, Padua, NDCL.

I’d say Gilmour because of their size and looking for a conference with schools that carry similar #’s on the football field.

But if the animosity from other PAC 8 schools towards CVCA, it could be enough for them to leave the PAC 8, they could join in on a new league with Lake, NDCL, VASJ, CCC, and Walsh and on top add University into the mix if they are willing to join. This could eventually become a football only league if this comes into fruition.
CVCA needs a conference that has a junior high program

SVSM 2020 schedule is not final but SVSM playing only 2 former NCL teams, Hoban and Walsh. Surprised not to see one or two more teams, Benedictine, LC, Padua, NDCL.

SVSM hasn’t routinely played any of those schools in the past years. I think they may have scrimmaged Benedictine, but that’s it. Nothing burger here.

SVSM hasn’t routinely played any of those schools in the past years. I think they may have scrimmaged Benedictine, but that’s it. Nothing burger here.

For some reason Benny had not consistently played in football the Akron Catholics until they entered the NCL. In fact Mooney, Ursuline, Watterson, and DeSales have made more appearances on the football schedule than SVSM. Not sure why other than maybe the open weeks never really aligned. I have a feeling you will not see Walsh on any Benny schedule for some time either. I have heard rumors that the Walsh parents have complained to their AD about playing lower level games at Bossu Field as well as night tip basketball games @ Trueman Fieldhouse. Would like to keep Hoban on the schedule but as Padua and Walsh have dropped the Bengals to be replaced by Massillon & St. Edward it makes it tough to keep a another larger state title contender on the schedule from a computer points perspective.

For some reason Benny had not consistently played in football the Akron Catholics until they entered the NCL. In fact Mooney, Ursuline, Watterson, and DeSales have made more appearances on the football schedule than SVSM. Not sure why other than maybe the open weeks never really aligned. I have a feeling you will not see Walsh on any Benny schedule for some time either. I have heard rumors that the Walsh parents have complained to their AD about playing lower level games at Bossu Field as well as night tip basketball games @ Trueman Fieldhouse. Would like to keep Hoban on the schedule but as Padua and Walsh have dropped the Bengals to be replaced by Massillon & St. Edward it makes it tough to keep a another larger state title contender on the schedule from a computer points perspective.

There was a stretch there where SVSM, under Boarman, was yearly playoff bound or winning SC’s. I don’t think the Cleveland Catholics were interested during that period. Maybe now that the Irish have been in the ”valley” and are working their way up to the “peak“ again there will be interest.

Last edited:
Interesting aside to this Memorial thread. A few years ago there was discussion about SVSM joining the NCL. It was something the AD at the time (Jalwan) was pushing. After he left, when a vote was taken among all the Irish coaches, all but two voted yes to join. So it was left on the table. This is second hand info, but I have good sources.

Glad SVSM did not get on what became a sinking ship.

Maybe I'm the outlier here, but the conference titles and rivalries always were important to me when I was in high school during the 1990s. I have almost no recollection of what round our teams made it to in any given year in any given sport. But I remember the years we won conference championships. I also remember what I placed individually at the conference track meets but have no idea what I placed at districts/regionals. I wasn't making it to states so I guess it didn't really matter.

In High School athletic leagues really serve no meaningful team purpose outside of football as everyone makes the postseason. Yes League titles are nice but not the be all end all since there really seems to be no history to associate these titles to like in NCAA sports. To me a soccer, basketball, baseball, etc.. District or Regional title means a lot more than the some series of letters League title. Without District style scheduling where HS football teams of the same size play a set geographically based schedule to determine playoff representation leagues will form and break apart due to scheduling concerns in the ever changing landscape of secondary education. Unless the similar sized local pubs start inviting these schools into their leagues, which I never see happening for the majority, I think the answer is to form some sort of state wide consortium with like sized institutions and play these games in the 2nd half of the season when the pubs are in their league play.

Several of the teams in this league wanted out because they were unable to schedule teams that they could beat to make he playoffs. Hoban is a tough game for all. Benedictine is on the upswing, another tough team to play. Lake Catholic always is competitive. Padua is year yo year, good coach, limited. NDCL is not consistent. Walsh has lost their way. CCC not competitive. Holy Name left several years ago. Seems to be working out for them.
Several of these teams will still play each other. Lake Catholic, Benedictine & Hoban will schedule each other. Padua, NDCL. Walsh could all schedule each other. CCC is on Benedictine's schedule this year. This may be a one year deal. We'll see in the future the issues for these teams to try to get teams to play them. The league gave these teams 6 guaranteed games. How tough will it be to fill your schedule?