Enrollment Numbers 2020 - 2021

200 is what I am hearing for next yrs incoming class. More than this current yrs class. Weber from IHM chose X. Dugan from IHM chose Elder. Anyone from Ignatius hear how many they are sending to Elder this year?
200 is a solid class. IHM/Anderson sounds like a trek. Is that family moving?

Lol, Trey was way off. What a putz.

What is the key to managing it correctly?

Well, what I've observed is when a school becomes financially reliant on vouchers it becomes hard to maintain the same standards/rigor/discipline. Then "paying" parents leave for other options. When our school decided to accept vouchers, there was some pushback. But the principal and school board made it clear that there would be no change in expectations/discipline/rigor/etc. Now, this school isn't going to get an influx of voucher students due to geography and some other "barriers" (3 years of mandatory Latin is a discouragement to many parents). But, what has been great, is that diversity has increased.....but with parents who are on board with the standards of the school.

Well, what I've observed is when a school becomes financially reliant on vouchers it becomes hard to maintain the same standards/rigor/discipline. Then "paying" parents leave for other options. When our school decided to accept vouchers, there was some pushback. But the principal and school board made it clear that there would be no change in expectations/discipline/rigor/etc. Now, this school isn't going to get an influx of voucher students due to geography and some other "barriers" (3 years of mandatory Latin is a discouragement to many parents). But, what has been great, is that diversity has increased.....but with parents who are on board with the standards of the school.
I figured that’s pretty much what you were going to say. It would be a shock to some CPS students coming into Elder, so it’s important to keep that level of discipline. The reality is parents pay private school not only for the education, but for the discipline instilled, the community, and for their child to be surrounded by a peer group held to the same standard whose parents share those ideals.

It’s not as easy as saying slash tuition and/or just admit more students for diversity sake. Elder can certainly get more diverse and should, but it’s an evolution, not a revolution.

200 is a solid class. IHM/Anderson sounds like a trek. Is that family moving?

Lol, Trey was way off. What a putz.

They’ve gotten several kids from IHM/St Thomas More in recent years. I lived in Cherry Grove for 3 years and it actually wasn’t that far to Elder if you know the right way to go. Took us about the same amount of time to get to Elder as it did X and Moeller.

Looks like you were way off. I can't imagine how mad you are that the number is actually trending toward 200+. You lose more credibility every day on yappi. I used to give your posts a fair chance, but not anymore.

That’s similar to what I have heard. Over 200 with it possibly getting as high as 215-220.

I figured that’s pretty much what you were going to say. It would be a shock to some CPS students coming into Elder, so it’s important to keep that level of discipline. The reality is parents pay private school not only for the education, but for the discipline instilled, the community, and for their child to be surrounded by a peer group held to the same standard whose parents share those ideals.

It’s not as easy as saying slash tuition and/or just admit more students for diversity sake. Elder can certainly get more diverse and should, but it’s an evolution, not a revolution.

We had some students come and then leave. A girl in my son's class left because "the teachers were too mean."

Vouchers have fundamentally changed the game. If Cincy Public and Three Rivers families are set to get half off, enrollment will skyrocket because tuition essentially gets cut in half. This is the reason enrollment is so high. Elder at $6k per year is a no-brainer.

The decision the state makes regarding the future of vouchers is HUGE for Elder. If it's changed, enrollment will go right back down again.

Last edited:
Vouchers have fundamentally changed the game. If Cincy Public and Three Rivers families are set to get half off, enrollment will skyrocket because tuition essentially gets cut in half. This is the reason enrollment is so high. Elder at $6k per year is a no-brainer.

The decision the state makes regarding the future of vouchers is HUGE for Elder. If it's changed, enrollment will go right back down again.
With $3m in aid already available, Elder’s net tuition cost is already barely over $7k.

With $3m in aid already available, Elder’s net tuition cost is already barely over $7k.

Again, that aid isn't spread evenly across all families, so it's just dumb to hypothetically lob off $4,000 from everyone's bill. Go ask the typical Elder family if they're getting a $4k discount. They'll all laugh.

They’ve gotten several kids from IHM/St Thomas More in recent years. I lived in Cherry Grove for 3 years and it actually wasn’t that far to Elder if you know the right way to go. Took us about the same amount of time to get to Elder as it did X and Moeller.
True, but it’s a long way to go without a group of fellow students from the area also going. At least with StX, you are probably commuting and relying on 50 other families. It’s great that’s potentially changing though.

Again, that aid isn't spread evenly across all families, so it's just dumb to hypothetically lob off $4,000 from everyone's bill. Go ask the typical Elder family if they're getting a $4k discount. They'll all laugh.
Well, duh. Some get more, some less based on need. But on average it’s around $7k. In any event, it’s a much better cost position than any of the other gcls schools offer.

Well, duh. Some get more, some less based on need. But on average it’s around $7k.

LOL - ok, factually yes.

But when 100 are paying $10,000 and 100 are paying $4,000, it doesn't quite tell the story you are portraying.

The high income earners are the ones that are looking elsewhere, that's the ironic part of this you don't seem to grasp.

LOL - ok, factually yes.

But when 100 are paying $10,000 and 100 are paying $4,000, it doesn't quite tell the story you are portraying.
First, you’re making up a distribution. But anyway, it tells a better story if that aid is distributed on need and merit. It still puts Elder in a better cost profile than the other gcls schools.

LOL - ok, factually yes.

The high income earners are the ones that are looking elsewhere, that's the ironic part of this you don't seem to grasp.

lol, I like how you make up things like the last parargraph. You have zero evidence to support that statement.

The people that are not choosing Elder are the ones that are actually deciding to pay MORE for St X.

They see more value at X at a higher price point. What's that say?

Every family on the westside would send their kids to Elder if the pricetag was $7,000. At some point, which seems to be the $10-11K mark, value starts to come into question.

Plus, it's probably easy to figure out.

There hasn't been a huge influx of kids that have moved to Taylor or Oak Hills (except the 2-3 kids a couple years ago that chose Taylor). The kids not picking Elder are picking mostly more expensive schools.

Elder would probably know these stats, but unlikely any of us ever would. But how many kids do you know that chose Taylor over Elder vs kids that chose X over Elder? It's not even close.

This is awesome to hear, good on the admissions department getting a good sized class. Not surprised the resident troll hasn’t acknowledged how far off he was, yet again.

I wasn't anticipating the state delaying their vote on voucher changes. That vote/decision is THE most important factor for enrollment growth at Elder.

If the rules change regarding the school report cards, then enrollment will go back to what has been typical. If they continue to allow relatively wealthy districts to utilize vouchers, enrollment will skyrocket.

Plus, it's probably easy to figure out.

There hasn't been a huge influx of kids that have moved to Taylor or Oak Hills (except the 2-3 kids a couple years ago that chose Taylor). The kids not picking Elder are picking mostly more expensive schools.

Elder would probably know these stats, but unlikely any of us ever would. But how many kids do you know that chose Taylor over Elder vs kids that chose X over Elder? It's not even close.
Lolz

That would be a fantastic number. And just like all of Trey’s made up numbers, his whisper number was way off.

It was - but it was also before the state delayed their vote. Once that happened, it became pretty obvious it's likely too late in the game to change anything this year, and those on the fence knew they'd likely get the voucher this year. That's why the number is drastically increasing late in the game.