What Movies Did You Watch in January 2020?

I'd probably go 6/8, but it was certainly one of the better versions of the story...Gerwig is legit.

High point was when Beth died, and this older lady a few rows down from us started absolutely wailing lol.
Yeah, the way she told the story was great. Probably would have been even better if Chalamet and Emma Watson were re-cast. They couldn’t keep up acting wise

Bad Boys (1995) 6/8 It's crazy this movie is 25 years old. My son hasn't watched the first two and we're planning on seeing Bad Boys 4 Life this weekend so we're doing some pregame prep lol. This is one of the few franchises were I thought the sequel was better. Hopefully the third one won't be a let down.

Agree on the sequel. Don’t get why it’s not more loved.

American Son (2019) 4/8 Low budget Netflix original starring Kerry Washington about an interracial couple at the police station seeking info on their missing son. Pretty decent story, almost like a play though. Only four people in the movie and all filmed in one room.

Vantage Point (2008) 2/8 Star studded cast, I recognized almost every person in the movie from something else. Basically the movie replays an assassination attempt on the president from several people's vantage point. Not a good movie, a little disappointing considering the cast.

Open Water 3: Cage Dive (2016) 2.5/8 Don't know why I keep getting forced to watch these movies lol. This one is one of those found footage/home video types along the lines of Blair Witch or Paranormal activity. Two brothers and a girlfriend are filming an audition tape for a game show and they go on a shark cage dive in Australia to show they are extreme. A tidal wave flips the ship while they're in the cage and the rest is history. The water has been chummed, the sharks are near by and they are in the water. I'm guessing you can figure out the rest.

Animal Among Us (2019)

Horror: Merrymaker Campgrounds has been closed for 15 years, ever since the brutal murders of a couple of girls, but is now planning on a re-opening and they want a writer who wrote about the murders to be there for it. Well, things are not all they seem to be and once again their are reports or something lurking on the camp ground. Don't get suckered in thinking this is a creature feature film, no, it decides to go off into another direction which basically destroyed it...... 2.5/8

Open Water 3: Cage Dive (Australia-2017)

Horror: Found Footage!!!!! I am a huge fan of found footage films so alright. Apparently I was not the only watching this this week so see post #69 for the plot. This one actually was not suppose to be part of the Open Water franchise and was originally called "Into The Deep" but that old marketing thing took over and we got Open Water 3. I enjoyed this one and the sharks for the most part were real so none of that crappy are you kidding me CGI in this. The characters were realistic and not annoying that you can get in found footage. Out of the 3 I liked this one 2nd best with the first being the best. To each there own...... 5.0/8

Open Water 3: Cage Dive (Australia-2017)

Horror: Found Footage!!!!! I am a huge fan of found footage films so alright. Apparently I was not the only watching this this week so see post #69 for the plot. This one actually was not suppose to be part of the Open Water franchise and was originally called "Into The Deep" but that old marketing thing took over and we got Open Water 3. I enjoyed this one and the sharks for the most part were real so none of that crappy are you kidding me CGI in this. The characters were realistic and not annoying that you can get in found footage. Out of the 3 I liked this one 2nd best with the first being the best. To each there own...... 5.0/8

Agree on it being 2nd best and I am also a big fan of the found footage films. Agreed on the sharks as well. The chick in the movie drove me crazy, which might be why I gave it a lower rating. Maybe I was a little tougher with my rating than I should have been lol.

Bad Boys For Life: 6.5/8

I’m not sure this is my favorite in the trilogy (I really enjoy #2), but I think it is the best. With Michael Bay out and a new director in, this film trades in a bit of the action for more story. That fits in line with the themes of the movie as Mike and Marcus now must face what life might/should look like if they were to retire. This movie is very different than the first two both thematically and plot wise. Yet at the same time I think fans of the franchise will love it.

Both critics and fans are loving it so far.

1917: 7.5/8 Mendes is a phenomenal director. Thomas Newman’s soundtrack helps set the mood for this riveting tale. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Watching 1917 tonight. I can't believe that the house was almost sold out two hours before the showing. Front row will have to do.

1/8 1917 an epically bad sequencing of manufactured drama points and emoting cliches cut and pasted from the poorest dime story war movies riding the one-trick pony of the camera shot. About the scene where Scholfield gets picked up by the troop movement I was trying to decide if they were going to do a Shyamalan or snowglobe. One point for a single good line and one brief instance of convincing acting which belonged to neither of the asperger performances of the two main.

Last edited:
Gemini Man: 5.5/8

Not the best Will Smith movie I saw today, but still plenty of fun. I’m not sure why critics were down on it. Not overly complex but great action and I’d argue the “bad guy” makes valid points as far as his overall motivation.

Oddly enough, I found some similarities to Bad Boys For Life plot wise.

How To Train Your Dragon: 5.5/8

My kids for whatever reason never had an interest in these movies. I recently saw the trilogy on sale though and picked them up for my nephews. Decided to check them out myself too as I’ve heard high praise for the trilogy. I quite enjoyed it. I’m not sure if I’d put it up there with Toy Story and Shrek, but it was still very good. Looking forward to watching the next two.

Hustlers: 5.5/8

Had no idea this was based on a true story. Follows a group of strippers in New York. When the housing market crashed, a lot of their Wall Street clientele stop coming in, so they start hustling them and basically robbing them. Nice cast.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High: 3.5/8

In this weeks episode of “maybe it was good when it was made”, this movie is a dud. Borderline boring. No plot whatsoever. About the only thing I got out of this was how naturally beautiful Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh were.

I feel like this movie is likely only revered because so much of its cast when on to be stars in bigger and better things.

Bought A LOT of DVDs or just catching up on your reviews?

I buy digital on the cheap. Great deals if you know where to look. Some sites you can buy movies as cheap as 75 cents. Most movies I buy are in the $3-$8 range. One site had a sale this weekend. I grabbed the following for $20:

Rush
Braveheart
Glory
Jumanji
Upgrade

Vudu also has a sale on westerns and grabbed 3:10 to Yuma for $4.99.

To more specifically answer your question, Bad Boys obviously was new in theaters. Gemini Man I bought last week. Fast Times a month or two ago. Hustlers I grabbed the other day for $6.

I have a large digital collection and a large family and friends who use it.

1/8 1917 an epically bad sequencing of manufactured drama points and emoting cliches cut and pasted from the poorest dime story war movies riding the one-trick pony of the camera shot...

1917 - I very much disagree. The single shot concept was well thought out and well executed. I found my heart racing a couple times as we appeared to be with the soldiers on their very daring run. The only "cliche" was the one involving a French civilian (I won't go into details as to not spoil it for anyone). The film would have been better without that interaction and there were plenty of reasons that could have held the messenger back (fatigue, injury, a sense of hopelessness) and the way they did it was unnecessary.

I am a stickler for authenticity and this film nailed it (with the possible exception of the use of the F-word). The uniforms, weapons, tactics and even the minor accouterments were dead on. The inclusion of Common Wealth soldiers was welcome and added a great deal to the story. I know that the producer/director's grandfather was one of those minority.

After watching the trailer I was a bit concerned about the aeroplane (well they were British after all). I thought it might be overly sensational, however, the way it played out was believable while still being dramatic.

The scene with the single soldier singing threw me off a bit as I recognized it as one of my favorite American folk songs and I thought for a minute that they might be Americans. Of course I knew that the American troops would not engage at the front until months later. It was a poignant and moving scene.

It was an outstanding film.

7/8

Last edited:
eastisbest said:
1/8 1917 an epically bad sequencing of manufactured drama points and emoting cliches cut and pasted from the poorest dime story war movies riding the one-trick pony of the camera shot...
1917 - I very much disagree.

It's 100% correct. I asked myself again and yes, that's my opinion. I'm a stickler for authenticity and so I double checked my opinion before posting it. :ROFLMAO:

Oh, while I have your ear; since you're such a stickler can you find me a raging river and a water fall running SE in that part of France? I'm sure you already noticed, being a stickler, that the woods are NW of the village. We all have our sticky points a guess. And those were English rats, not French ones. You can tell by how polite they are.

Last edited:
1917: 6/8

I’ve now watched all the Best Picture nominees. Parasite is by far and away the best of the bunch.

Last edited:
I’ve now watched all the Best Picture nominees. Parasite is by far and away the best of the bunch.

I suck at subtitles, was it hard to hang in? I'd like to see it but really don't want to be waiting for a re-make with hollywoods latest golden boys and girls of the moment.

Ford v. Farrari 4/8 Definitely a story worth making, glad it got made. Reading about the characters after the fact, major points off for what was apparentl a very unfair characterization. Mangold has made some movies I really enjoyed so tis was a disappointment.

The story would have held up on it's own historical merits, even better. I started to think what this would have been as a Ron Howard or Clint Eastwood movie, both who have done well received character driven movies in a technical setting. (Apollo 13, Sully).

I suck at subtitles, was it hard to hang in? I'd like to see it but really don't want to be waiting for a re-make with hollywoods latest golden boys and girls of the moment.

Ford v. Farrari 4/8 Definitely a story worth making, glad it got made. Reading about the characters after the fact, major points off for what was apparentl a very unfair characterization. Mangold has made some movies I really enjoyed so tis was a disappointment.

The story would have held up on it's own historical merits, even better. I started to think what this would have been as a Ron Howard or Clint Eastwood movie, both who have done well received character driven movies in a technical setting. (Apollo 13, Sully).

Well in Howard’s case I imagine it would be similar to Rush.

Saw (unrated): 5.25/8

Picked up the entire 8 Film Saw series awhile back for $7. Not sure if I’ll ever get through all of them but it was too good of a deal to pass up, even if I only watch say two.

Glad I rewatched the first. There were a lot more “out of the room” scenes than I remember, but that may also be because I was watching the unrated version that I’m sure had extra scenes. Forgot it was a James Wan film.