Massillon FOOTBALL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massillon's population has pretty much remained steady since 1970 (even with the loss of Egret). That's when it essentially stopped climbing and leveled out.

However, if you compare Massillon to other similar cities (age,demo,) the stats indicate a small population increase. Those other similar communities have very large population decreases.

Massillon's population has pretty much remained steady since 1970 (even with the loss of Egret). That's when it essentially stopped climbing and leveled out.
However, the devil is in the details.

Yes, Massillon's population is currently estimated at about 32,000, the same as it was in 1970, but the footprint of the city is currently more than TWICE the size of what it was in 1970. From 1970 to 2012, through an aggressive annexation initiative, the size of the city went from 9 square miles to more than 19 square miles. http://massillonohio.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/annex.pdf

Right Maxie?

Didn't mean to leave out the girls:

https://www.indeonline.com/news/20191127/three-charged-in-alleged-assault-in-Massillon

And since someone brought up the Booster Club, it reminded me of this gem:

Once a Tiger....
Again....I was simply posting about the violent crime within the schools, (which Jackson runs away with) but....if you want to compare crimes within each individual city/township....I'm your Huckleberry. But....can we put some $ on it? The only thing better than making you look stupid would be making you look stupid AND taking your money.

https://www.indeonline.com/news/20200102/police-Massillon-man-puts-gun-to-womans-head

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20200101/holiday-thieves-strike-festive-Massillon-house-three-times

I was just driving through Canton on 12th by the parks and noticing how nice it looks. That was Right about 11:30 also. It's a shame that such a once great city has ended up as it is. Ya know, even when they were a thriving city they still couldn't beat our Tigers. Massillon has led the series since 1947.

Last edited:
Any good solid info on the Tigers? Please pm if so.
It's great to see our coach building a house here. Sounds like he may be staying a while. Hope so.

Sad that a guy can’t even take a walk in his neighborhood without getting shot. It’s incredible that they have to say the shooting is unrelated to ANOTHER shooting that happened earlier in the day. Canton = Chicago.

In Cantons defense....the shootings really taper off during the day. Driving through certain parts of Canton is like driving through a war torn 4th world country.

Listening to WKNR's Really Big Show yesterday, they were discussing Josh McDaniels possibly getting the Browns gig. Aaron Goldhammer says to Tony Rizzo, "I've never been to a Massillon McKinley game before, I'd like to go." And Rizzo says, "oh yeah, absolutely we'll go," but then he adds this and I swear this is what he said. "But we have to go when it's in Massillon." "Tom Benson is nice, but there's something about Paul Brown Tiger Stadium with that atmosphere over there."

However, the devil is in the details.

Yes, Massillon's population is currently estimated at about 32,000, the same as it was in 1970, but the footprint of the city is currently more than TWICE the size of what it was in 1970. From 1970 to 2012, through an aggressive annexation initiative, the size of the city went from 9 square miles to more than 19 square miles. http://massillonohio.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/annex.pdf

Right Maxie?

Good info Mack. I just looked at the straight numbers. I wonder how populated those annexed areas were and if they weren't populated whether they were developed residentially after annexation. I also suspect that while the geographic footprint of the City of Massillon expanded, the footprint of the school district shrunk.

Good info Mack. I just looked at the straight numbers. I wonder how populated those annexed areas were and if they weren't populated whether they were developed residentially after annexation. I also suspect that while the geographic footprint of the City of Massillon expanded, the footprint of the school district shrunk.

The district boundaries have not changed. Many of those families attend Perry, Tuslaw school districts etc, and some go to Massillon via open enrollment. And yes I do believe and always have that district boundries should occasionally be updated as population, business, and housing stock shifts over time, but for whatever reason that would take an act from God.

I have attended numerous meetings on the subject and the consensus response is that Ohio OE has rendered that necessity obsolete. Which is true in a sense, but not when you consider OHSAA's efforts on the athletics side of the equation. The argument for OHSAA's ability to in effect undermine Ohio's OE centers on them being a "voluntary" org. It should be challenged but would take some balls and risk.

Listening to WKNR's Really Big Show yesterday, they were discussing Josh McDaniels possibly getting the Browns gig. Aaron Goldhammer says to Tony Rizzo, "I've never been to a Massillon McKinley game before, I'd like to go." And Rizzo says, "oh yeah, absolutely we'll go," but then he adds this and I swear this is what he said. "But we have to go when it's in Massillon." "Tom Benson is nice, but there's something about Paul Brown Tiger Stadium with that atmosphere over there."
Obviously he was not there the day I was a few years back when I almost passed out from the disgusting sewage smell at the stadium. And he obviously has a death wish since the stadium has been deemed unsafe by the Superindentent.

And yet Canton is the most dangerous city in Ohio and Jackson is the most dangerous school system in the state.

Hmmm, tough decision. Guess if I had to choose between well-dressed man walking down Canton's worst neighborhood or in a hoodie walking down Jackson's best, I'd choose Massillon. :)

Seriously all this nonsense over hs football. Namely Massillon's dominance over Stark rivals. Ouch but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.