GWOC 19-20

I don’t get you either Hardcorps. How can you argue with Centerville’s success under Cupps. Facts are facts. I don’t think the Dayton area looks particularly strong at the D1 level this year, but I suspect by season’s end Centerville will be the best D1 team.

This makes him some kind of coaching genius? That’s what the vast majority of coaches do with good freshmen. Unless, they are as good as Cupp’s son. I’ve seen him several times. He’s ready now, but will struggle defensively.

As I have said, I hope that CVille has a strong team by year’s end. It would be nice if Cupps tops out at 6’4” - 6’6” by the time that he is a senior.

relax Pistol Pete! I thought he might start as a varsity role player and earn that starting spot during the season. It will be interesting to see how the Elks do this year.

He earned it in the off season and is easily the best guard on their team.

He earned it in the off season and is easily the best guard on their team.

Yep. They play 30-40 games in June and another 5-6 scrimmages in Nov with 10-12 guys rotating through different lineups. Cupps subs 5 for 5 in all the June & November games/scrimmages. Everyone gets looks and plenty of chances. Has done it this way every off season. Would of thought ElkStrong knew that.

Lol Wow This is great. What about your point guard from the past couple of years? He ran his mouth etc for his entire time being the man. Did anyone ever coach him in that regard? No. The evidence is him being expelled from the last game that he actually played. That was a tough lesson for the program.

The lessons should begin at home. The lessons with the program should begin in the first years. The lessons should continue through each season. I think that is how it should go. The fact that the kid had an attitude every game shows that his final game was not an aberration.

I thought that's where you were going. The re-litigation of last year's PG vis a vis the regional game vs. Springfield.

Man that's a stretch to get in a dig on the program....even for your standards.

To question a 18 year old's character, his parents and how "the program" didn't develop his "character".

I saw it all live. As bad officiating as I've seen. Kid was a fiery player and had an edge, no doubt. But nothing transpired in that game that was worthy of two T's. I didn't think it watching game live nor watching the several videos of it all. Jay Bilas agreed. Or is he simple minded too ?

I thought that's where you were going. The re-litigation of last year's PG vis a vis the regional game vs. Springfield.

To question a 18 year old's character, his parents and how "the program" didn't develop his "character".

I saw it all live. As bad officiating as I've seen. Kid was a fiery player and had an edge, no doubt. But nothing transpired in that game that was worthy of two T's. I didn't think it watching game live nor watching the several videos of it all. Jay Bilas agreed. Or is he simple minded too ?
I dont think he should of been ejected but Bilas seen the clip that was sent out. Not entire game I also agree he is fiery player but sometimes to officials it gets annoying having to tell a player to calm down over and over

This conversation is over. I hope that the Elks improve vastly as the year goes on.

Merry Christmas.

Anyone got any information on Kettering Fairmont?? Know nothing about them, but they play my Spartans on Friday night. Would like a little insight on the Firebirds.

Anyone got any information on Kettering Fairmont?? Know nothing about them, but they play my Spartans on Friday night. Would like a little insight on the Firebirds.

Blowout city for the mighty Spartans.

What is the linebackers name, that I think went to Michigan State, from Lima, in the late 80s?

Last edited:
Fairmont is 2-4 and have lost their last 3 games. Danye Lewis #0 for the Firebirds, listed at 6'0" is averaging 3 blocks a game and currently leading the GWOC in that stat. I thought that was interesting. I would expect the Spartans to cruise with an easy win.

Thanks for the info on Fairmont! Lima Senior, we still are a work in progress. Haven't put together a full game yet. We will explode in quarters, or a half but have yet to do it for a full game. But the boys are working hard, hope if you all make it up they can put on a show for you!

My guy Richard Glover.

I have a buddy that played for Fairfield. He is a couple of years ahead of me. They were up at Lima. At the time he was about 6’2” 180. Glover had a break away and my buddy committed what would be a intentional, very intentional foul and they both fell to the ground. To this day we laughingly retell the story and I always ask, “what in the hell were you thinking? That was the LAST person that should have happened to.” I do not think that it even bothered Mr. Glover.

Itkcman, yes, there were 2 freshman that I know of who played some minutes at the varsity level for the Centerville Elks, Ben Rhoda and AJ Hawk way back in 1999...coach Staley did not believe in putting freshman on the varsity because he believed that by starting them on the reserve team (today they call it junior varsity) the many minutes that they would get would be more beneficial than playing sparingly with the varsity. Rhoda and Hawk were so advanced in their development that they were often inserted into varsity games (even though their jv uniforms were different from the varsity) and were allowed to sit on the bench with the varsity after their games were over. Hawk never played basketball after 10th grade and Rhoda went onto become a 3 year starter, all time leading scorer, first ever Centerville all state basketball player and led them to their first ever regional finals game (lost to Columbus Brookhaven with 6 D-1 players and considered one of Ohio's best ever teams and the school does not even exist anymore) and in 2002 led the Elks in what is thought to be their best ever basketball team...
Thanks for the clarification! The main point of your comment, to me, is that Rhoda and Hawk were "so advanced". I do not believe Gabe Cupps is so advanced but lets keep it real. He is the coaches son thus varsity play time is given.

Itkcman and Hardcorps both need to go see young Cupps play. I saw him in AAU last Spring. He will be one of the best to ever play at Centerville. It’s a little early to start judging, don’t you think.

Itkcman and Hardcorps both need to go see young Cupps play. I saw him in AAU last Spring. He will be one of the best to ever play at Centerville. It’s a little early to start judging, don’t you think.

RedGold I was agreeing with the son of the coach point.

I watched him in the champ game versus Wayne last year. He was very good. Was he the best on the court? I do not know. The claim that originally caught my attention was that he is the next _________. Not even close. I expect that he will be very good and CVille will be a GWOC top tier team. I want CVille to be very good.

RedGold I was agreeing with the son of the coach point.

I watched him in the champ game versus Wayne last year. He was very good. Was he the best on the court? I do not know. The claim that originally caught my attention was that he is the next _________. Not even close. I expect that he will be very good and CVille will be a GWOC top tier team. I want CVille to be very good.
Except that's not why he's playing. He's the best they have at this point, freshman or not. Other than Mo, they return about 40 points scoring from last year and will have to have seniors who didn't play much last year play a lot this year unless and until some younger guys grow up. And Gabe is very good. He's the first coming of Gabe Cupps.

Thanks for the clarification! The main point of your comment, to me, is that Rhoda and Hawk were "so advanced". I do not believe Gabe Cupps is so advanced but lets keep it real. He is the coaches son thus varsity play time is given.

Not true.

ltkcman has a long history on here of being anti-Cupps. Especially during 2016 & 2017 seasons. Hmmmm.

Lot of talk on here about the other big dogs but not much on those Trotwood Rams... I have yet to see them this year but I heard they came out the gate a little sluggish after that championship football season but are starting to round into shape. I can't wait to see young Cupps vs. that pressure they put on you. That should be a delightful one. I still wonder why big Cupps get so much love for so little accomplished. Is it the hope of the Cville folks that he is really that good? Until he beats the man (Staley and his accomplishments) he is not the man. Trust me I am no fan of Staley but I think folks talking like Cupps is the best thing ever in the ville is kind of disrespectful. My thoughts...

Plus the man in that League at least for this last year is Rockhold. Love him or hate him... He got the paperwork to back it up. Heard the Rams are playing well in Louisville. Those type of games vs. top teams may lead them to lights out play in OHIO. Well see. #Ramnation

Lot of talk on here about the other big dogs but not much on those Trotwood Rams... I have yet to see them this year but I heard they came out the gate a little sluggish after that championship football season but are starting to round into shape. I can't wait to see young Cupps vs. that pressure they put on you. That should be a delightful one. I still wonder why big Cupps get so much love for so little accomplished. Is it the hope of the Cville folks that he is really that good? Until he beats the man (Staley and his accomplishments) he is not the man. Trust me I am no fan of Staley but I think folks talking like Cupps is the best thing ever in the ville is kind of disrespectful. My thoughts...

Plus the man in that League at least for this last year is Rockhold. Love him or hate him... He got the paperwork to back it up. Heard the Rams are playing well in Louisville. Those type of games vs. top teams may lead them to lights out play in OHIO. Well see. #Ramnation
It would be nice if Trotwood would post their team's stats to the GWOC website. I have no idea whose responsibility this is or if it is due to lingering resentment to the league, but it is not doing a favor to the players, fans, and others who want to see who their top players are. I would assume they would have leaders in most of the stats, but who knows. I do look forward to seeing the Elks vs Rams game in late January.

Saw Trotwood lost a game 109-99 in Louisville a game where there was 62 combined fouls and Trotwood had to finish the game with 3 players

I think Big Cupps has accomplished as much as Staley at Centerville. Two regional finals and another regional appearance where lost to eventual state champs Wayne (who they beat earlier in the year). This in 7 years I believe. Fill me in on Staley's regional appearances.