SPIRE UPDATE!

It's an outstanding facility but the location doomed this place from the beginning. The closest airport is obviously Cleveland Hopkins but that's still 65-70 miles. Akron-Canton is 80 miles, Pittsburgh is 115 miles, and Buffalo is 150. Those distances to the airports pretty much doom Spire if it's being considered for any type of national event. Some of those B1G teams and Big East teams that competed in the league indoor meets held at Spire had to fly in, no doubt. That could have really been bad for those teams given the unpredictability of the winter weather in that corner of the state. It would be great if a facility like Spire were centrally located.

It does look like the 2020 OATCCC indoor meet will be held at Spire. I'm wondering if moving it back to Akron is being considered at any point in the future?

Where they put that place is just plain dumb. Draw a 200 mile circle around that location. Half of it is in the lake. Now plant that place in Indy or Cinci or Cbus. Draw that same circle. Now you just doubled if not tripled the amount of people that can reach the place in 3 hours.

Where they put that place is just plain dumb. Draw a 200 mile circle around that location. Half of it is in the lake. Now plant that place in Indy or Cinci or Cbus. Draw that same circle. Now you just doubled if not tripled the amount of people that can reach the place in 3 hours.
When you want to throw around $100 million of your own money, you can build one of these things wherever you want.

It's an outstanding facility but the location doomed this place from the beginning. The closest airport is obviously Cleveland Hopkins but that's still 65-70 miles. Akron-Canton is 80 miles, Pittsburgh is 115 miles, and Buffalo is 150. Those distances to the airports pretty much doom Spire if it's being considered for any type of national event. Some of those B1G teams and Big East teams that competed in the league indoor meets held at Spire had to fly in, no doubt. That could have really been bad for those teams given the unpredictability of the winter weather in that corner of the state. It would be great if a facility like Spire were centrally located.

It does look like the 2020 OATCCC indoor meet will be held at Spire. I'm wondering if moving it back to Akron is being considered at any point in the future?
A few years ago I was surprised to see Villanova athletes getting off of a charter bus in our store's parking lot in Boardman, OH. I asked them what they were doing out this way and they said they had been at Spire for the Big East indoor. They were hitting the numerous fast food places nearby on their way back to Philly. I imagine they were stopping for food before they jumped on the nearby Pennsylvania Turnpike. It had to be a couple of long, tedious days coupled with those long bus trips.