Ohio Heritage Conference 2020

There has to be a misprint in the paper possibly leaving Woodruff off the list. Again, one player selected as both 3rd Team and SM does not make sense

Speaking of the all-ohio team for D5, I found it interesting that Madison Plain's QB got 3rd team all-ohio and West Liberty-Salem's Woodruff didn't even get special mention. The only WLS selections on the All-Ohio team were Kyle Wolfe (1st team defense) and Eli McGill (Special Mention offense).

I'm not taking anything away from Jarrett Vallery from MP, but in what realm does Trevor Woodruff not deserve to be all-ohio? I guess it just goes to show how absolutely ill informed the AP voters in Ohio are. ?‍♂️
it’s all politics color! plains had more players on the team than Greenon and WLS.

Color, let em have their day in the sun, after next year, it's back to Greenon as we have known it. Congrats to all those OHC All Ohio players and to Gabe Jones for POTY...well deserved young man!
at least you know how i feel? i’ll enjoy next year but after that i’m expecting nothing. hopefully the coaching staff can get them 1-3 wins seasons a year but i truly hope for the best. the talent pool is dry after the class of 2021. the pee wee program and junior high programs have both struggled very much over the last few seasons. i’ll enjoy the success while it is here, but that doesn’t look like very long.

knightsfan, nothing wrong with you enthusiasm for your team and Greenon is part of the OHC, which this thread is about and if talking about Greenon is the flavor of the day, week or month so be it. It's kind of the responsibility of the other fans to push their team into the discussion. So my hat is off to you for enjoying your team's success.
Now, the one thing that does concern me about GHS next year may be the lack of experience considering they didn't have a JV this year. Granted Friday nights are hugely different than Saturday morning but when the only bridge to playing on Friday night is practice scout team and mop up duty there is going to be a gap. Those kids that have at least eight or nine games of playing high school football under their belt versus those that have watched high school football are going to be the difference and it will show.
I think when you look at the middle schools, its about them learning the fundamentals, the culture and high school philosophy and ultimately learning to compete at a higher level. Its always nice to have that stud middle school team coming into high school but that doesn't relieve the responsibility of the high school coaches to make them better and making them better is ensuring they are able to gain high school experience through a frosh team (pipe dream for most) or JV and not throwing them to the wolves in a varsity game because there aren't enough kids...SCC for example. Pee wees, well have fun with that...usually the coaching knowledge and experience couldn't fill a piss pot and most times they do more harm than good. I have seen way too many pee wee Heisman Trophy candidates, in their parents mind, that never played a down in high school or just lost interest all together. It's great that those youngsters play but I would base the future high school success on the numbers and talent at the pee wee level.
Your playoff future depends on what the team will do in the offseason.

When UK hosted The Vols a few weeks back, I heard he was in attendance. UC emailed him as soon as they could legally this year. He will be going to camps this summer. As far as transferring, I hear he is going to be staying put. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.

knightsfan, nothing wrong with you enthusiasm for your team and Greenon is part of the OHC, which this thread is about and if talking about Greenon is the flavor of the day, week or month so be it. It's kind of the responsibility of the other fans to push their team into the discussion. So my hat is off to you for enjoying your team's success.
Now, the one thing that does concern me about GHS next year may be the lack of experience considering they didn't have a JV this year. Granted Friday nights are hugely different than Saturday morning but when the only bridge to playing on Friday night is practice scout team and mop up duty there is going to be a gap. Those kids that have at least eight or nine games of playing high school football under their belt versus those that have watched high school football are going to be the difference and it will show.
I think when you look at the middle schools, its about them learning the fundamentals, the culture and high school philosophy and ultimately learning to compete at a higher level. Its always nice to have that stud middle school team coming into high school but that doesn't relieve the responsibility of the high school coaches to make them better and making them better is ensuring they are able to gain high school experience through a frosh team (pipe dream for most) or JV and not throwing them to the wolves in a varsity game because there aren't enough kids...SCC for example. Pee wees, well have fun with that...usually the coaching knowledge and experience couldn't fill a piss pot and most times they do more harm than good. I have seen way too many pee wee Heisman Trophy candidates, in their parents mind, that never played a down in high school or just lost interest all together. It's great that those youngsters play but I would base the future high school success on the numbers and talent at the pee wee level.
Your playoff future depends on what the team will do in the offseason.
i agree with you. JH is about learning the system and fundamentals. my issue is with the lack of talent coming up. with experience, i think they will be okay. they lost 7 seniors and none went both ways. the skills are experienced, the line, not so much. i’m a believer that a lot of their success will depend on the weight room.

Look no farther than the Bengals. Their line sucks! They have great skill position players. But the O-line sucks! What's their record again?

Only players who are named 1st team "All District" are eligible for "All-State" recognition. The state takes the 1st team members from the District teams and automatically gives them at least "Special Mention" All State. The voting statewide then adds 1st-3rd placements.

Inaccurate placings at the District level guarantee the same the next weekend in that regard.

Only players who are named 1st team "All District" are eligible for "All-State" recognition. The state takes the 1st team members from the District teams and automatically gives them at least "Special Mention" All State. The voting statewide then adds 1st-3rd placements.

Inaccurate placings at the District level guarantee the same the next weekend in that regard.

vallery wasn't first team all district though.

Oh, he’s central district - so maybe he was. It’s still darn near criminal.

Color I agree that Trevor deserved state level recognition. Sadly he has fallen into the north of I70 east of St Rt 235 D5-7 category. It is very hard for kids in those divisions to get a similar evaluation as the rest of the SW district some of the Cincinnati teams with lots of media close those get the benefit of the doubt and the Dayton writers favor those closer Dayton our area does not fit with any of that even more so as you get to eastern Champaign and Logan counties that are obviously more central. There is bias in everything - a referee even agreed with that on yappi, so to say there is a negative bias against the some of the further away teams is no pretty plain to me. And this is not to sell our local media short they do a good job but their voices are small compared to Dayton and Cincinnati area, also some of our local coverage (at least for Triad and Burg) is by central district voters IE Marysville.

Color I agree that Trevor deserved state level recognition. Sadly he has fallen into the north of I70 east of St Rt 235 D5-7 category. It is very hard for kids in those divisions to get a similar evaluation as the rest of the SW district some of the Cincinnati teams with lots of media close those get the benefit of the doubt and the Dayton writers favor those closer Dayton our area does not fit with any of that even more so as you get to eastern Champaign and Logan counties that are obviously more central. There is bias in everything - a referee even agreed with that on yappi, so to say there is a negative bias against the some of the further away teams is no pretty plain to me. And this is not to sell our local media short they do a good job but their voices are small compared to Dayton and Cincinnati area, also some of our local coverage (at least for Triad and Burg) is by central district voters IE Marysville.
this is all pretty true. also there are less D5 teams in metro columbus than the SW district i believe, so that’s a factor. he was most definitely deserving. it’s all about who you know, and the Plains coach may possibly have some connections.

The all-district team for the central district in D5 only had kids from 8-9 schools. I don't think there was necessarily any inherent bias there, more so a limitation of potential choices that had a trickle up for all-state awards.

The all-district team for the central district in D5 only had kids from 8-9 schools. I don't think there was necessarily any inherent bias there, more so a limitation of potential choices that had a trickle up for all-state awards.
Not saying the central was bias at all. I agree with that assement. More so the SW has a bias that is not in ohc/CBC kids favor. Doesn’t mean anything other than proximity and familiarity favor others.

I
i’ll take Greenon and Mechanicsburg winning the divisions. i don’t foresee Greeneview being a challenge (2021 i think they will be back), and Madison Plains is simply going to be average again in my opinion. Southeastern is losing the seniors so not much to be confident in. Cedarville and Catholic Central should be improved, but not contenders. in the north, West Jeff is losing that MONSTER o-line and of course Jones. but they always reload. West Liberty i think goes 7-3, who do they play in OOC next year?! Fairbanks will be okay, they were senior driven. Northeastern should be better but i don’t see Triad being very great. Burg isn’t losing enough for them to take a step back, i look for them to be just as good, if not better.

I think Burg will be in the finals next year, WLS will go 7-3, I think WJ will simply re load as usual. Maybe not go as deep in the play offs but they will be just fine in the regular season. I think Greenon will have a weaker schedule with Fairbanks graduating a lot as well as Springfield Shawnee and will finish 9-2 (depending on who the OOC games), they’ll end up losing to Burg in the regular season and lose first round of the playoffs (if rice is back). Hope they go 15-0 but I’m trying to be as least bias as possible.

I see all these comments and it makes me think that I'm losing my mind. People predicting Greenon to be 9-1 next year. What in the world am I missing?
Nothing against Greenon, but those are some lofty goals for a team that had an Oline like they had this year. It's not like they were So or Jr. They were Sr's!
Who is going to block?

I see all these comments and it makes me think that I'm losing my mind. People predicting Greenon to be 9-1 next year. What in the world am I missing?
Nothing against Greenon, but those are some lofty goals for a team that had an Oline like they had this year. It's not like they were So or Jr. They were Sr's!
Who is going to block?

Because other than Burg the teams that gave them trouble are all losing great players. Depending on who the OOC schedule is I think 9-1 is possible if the knights get in the weight room. Every team in the OHC South have terrible line play on both sides of the ball. If the Knights were in the north I would not be predicting 9-1. Rice has had his way with the weak competition in the south, nobody has been able to hang with him as a Freshman through junior year what makes you think they will as a senior?

Who is going to block?
hasbeen55 made all the points. a weaker schedule and not losing as many impact players compared to the teams they play. i think they lose to Burg and that’s it, but i’m picking Burg to go to the finals next years.

as for the playoffs, i think their success is solely dependent on who you draw. for example this year, west jeff would have been an awful matchup but a team that is more pass-happy (maybe taft), i would give them a fair shot. i’m hoping they get the luck of the draw and draw a good matchup, which is entirely possible. they could have week 13 potential IF they are firing on all cylinders and get favorable matchups, but before you call me crazy, i’m not predicting that. i’d love to be up guessing after a week 11 win where they would send them to play week 12!

So you're telling me, Greenon, who had no JV this year, is going to have linemen developing over winter, spring and summer will be ready for next fall?

Rice can't do it alone fellas. I just think 9-1 is putting to much pressure on the young man who is probably a better blocker than he has on his line!

Talking playoff right now for Greenon is just mind boggling. Putting so much pressure on Rice. Let Greenon celebrate winning the South this year. You guys are going nuts in here. ROTFLMAO!

Granted I only saw the Burg-Greenon game, but from what I did see, Rice was running for his life 90% of the time. His O-line was bad. His receivers and backs were small. I know a couple of the wrestler kids-Davis and Benson, I don't know what weights they're wrestling at this year but they are not big kids, talented but small. He's not super accurate under pressure and he can run, but he's bottled up quick by a decent secondary. I really wish I'd seen the Greenon-Shawnee game because I watched Shawnee play NW and I was really impressed with Glass and his RBs