Midwest Athletic Conference 2019

2007 ML schedule. Patrick Henry scored 20 on them in the State Semi.

Speaking of GOATs, I believe the greatest player of all time was likely Ross Homan (my fifth cousin!) - probably had more impact on the field in his high school career than anyone.

Obviously the guys who reached the nfl were eventually awesome too - Lachey, Hartings, Wenning. A final guy whose on-field performance in high school did not match his raw physical skills was Jettingoff (sp?) of DSJ - played from 2011-2013. In an nfl-style combine he could probably have put up some serious numbers at 6’2” and maybe 225 lbs. He was amazingly fast for a big kid - I think he still holds the MAC jr high record in the 100 m dash.
Jettingoff sorta faded his last two years...didn't he have some injuries?

Jettingoff sorta faded his last two years...didn't he have some injuries?
He ran in a terrible offense.
DSJ ran the read option with him at RB. It didn't take long to figure out what their read was and always give the "pull" read.

ML did this to DSJ in the State semis his Senior year. Jettinhoff scored a 90 yard TD run on his second carry of the game. ML adjusted and he didn't have another carry until the second half. The read option literally took him out of the offense.

He ran in a terrible offense.
DSJ ran the read option with him at RB. It didn't take long to figure out what their read was and always give the "pull" read.

ML did this to DSJ in the State semis his Senior year. Jettinhoff scored a 90 yard TD run on his second carry of the game. ML adjusted and he didn't have another carry until the second half. The read option literally took him out of the offense.
what year was he a senior

are you sure? I remember him running track as a freshman and a sophomore , but not sure he ran after that? gosh he was a big dude...
Thought he tore his ACL soph. season but it might have been a previous DSJ running back ( might be thinking of Schumacher sp. ). However Jettinghoff was 1st team All - State 2012 and 2013 ( POY on offense ).

Last edited:
To my recollection Jettinghoff never suffered a serious injury. I believe he played the entire football season his sophomore, jr, and sr years.
He had a great game against ML in 2011 state semi - a game DSJ probably should have won. He ran really hard and was a load to bring down.

Former Minster coach Nate Moore has reached the state finals - again - with Massillon. How many times total has he reached the title game since leaving Minster?

Former Minster coach Nate Moore has reached the state finals - again - with Massillon. How many times total has he reached the title game since leaving Minster?
going against his former Lasalle team.....I think he took them twice, and first time with the Tigers team....in Fact when Minster won the title in 2014, they played the next game after us, and they came on the field one of Lasalles assistants , Coach Roddy got hugs from the Minster boys as he was with Moore in Minster.... pretty special moment.....

I was sure it was there QB they lost late 2nd half. And I believe they were actually winning that game at halftime
It was the running back and it happened right in frt. of me, not a pretty sight ( end of 1st half ). ML had 2 line backers that year Luke Homan and Greg Koesters 2 of the best linebackers ML has ever had. Neither very big ( 175 to 185 lbs. ) but both tackling machines ( Koesters no.1 in career tackles, Homan no.2 ).

So I have a question for long time MAC fans that hopefully someone can answer. Don Kemper tweeted out a stat today that since Minster won the first MAC state title there have only been three years without a MAC team in the state finals. That's amazing.

However, my question for MAC fans is what was different before 1989? If you look at the MAC playoff history before 1989 there weren't a lot of teams in the playoffs from the MAC and there wasn't a lot of success in the playoffs. It looks like the MAC was 6-7 in the playoffs pre-1989.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

So I have a question for long time MAC fans that hopefully someone can answer. Don Kemper tweeted out a stat today that since Minster won the first MAC state title there have only been three years without a MAC team in the state finals. That's amazing.

However, my question for MAC fans is what was different before 1989? If you look at the MAC playoff history before 1989 there weren't a lot of teams in the playoffs from the MAC and there wasn't a lot of success in the playoffs. It looks like the MAC was 6-7 in the playoffs pre-1989.

Back then the regions were very small, and I believe only 4 divisions. The MAC school were just too small to accumulate enough points to get into the playoffs. You could go 9-1, or 10-0 as a MAC school then and miss the playoffs. Coach Reed who got Coldwater on track, used to coach parkway back then, and always did well, but even he couldn't get in the playoffs much. As for the 6-7 record, you got me there, I have no clue. Coaching could have been a factor. I mean the kids now are offspring or relatives of the people that played in the 80s and 90s, and even the 70s when the MAC was started, so it's not like the gene pool is much different.

I always thought it had something to do with weight programs. Minster built a weight room in the mid 1980's and had a coach who inspired a few, even at the grade school level, to use it religiously. Minster then hired a coach who took them to the playoffs six straight years (and won it all in 1989) with almost a purely physical running game.

About the same time, Jim Lachey built a weight room in St. Henry so he could work out when he visited his hometown. St. Henry combined that with several college D1 talents (and a couple of NFL players) to start the first real MAC dynasty). The rest seemed to follow suit.

Back then the regions were very small, and I believe only 4 divisions. The MAC school were just too small to accumulate enough points to get into the playoffs. You could go 9-1, or 10-0 as a MAC school then and miss the playoffs. Coach Reed who got Coldwater on track, used to coach parkway back then, and always did well, but even he couldn't get in the playoffs much. As for the 6-7 record, you got me there, I have no clue. Coaching could have been a factor. I mean the kids now are offspring or relatives of the people that played in the 80s and 90s, and even the 70s when the MAC was started, so it's not like the gene pool is much different.

Agree on this take and would add only taking 4 teams from each region also limited MAC school chances to qualify.

Simple coaching. Whiting at DSJ, Reed at Coldwater, Goodwin at Marion Local, Versailles being added to the MAC.

Thanks to the Coldwater girls and their community from the Rockets and from the Flyers also, I'm sure. What a ride for us this year. I certainly hope we can finish the job. Believe me, Anna wants 2 State Titles to come back to MAC land by Saturday afternoon. Best of Luck to the Flyers.

So that was my first thought as well so I went back and looked but the OHSAA went to 5 divisions in 1980. Then I saw that MAC teams weren't having great success when they did get in the playoffs and I wondered if there was some type of cultural change that occurred because the last 30 years have been unreal.

People may not agree with this, but it has a lot to do with the change in farming and the farm culture. Up into the 80’s farming in this area was very manual and required hours upon hours of work. Farm culture in this area has changed dramatically and kids who in the 70’s / 80’s who may not have even been able to play football, and certainly wouldn’t have been able to spends hours at practice/lifting/conditioning can do so now. At that time most kids knew farming would always be their life, but that isn’t the case now. I know people keep wondering when the MAC streak is going to end but honestly I think it’s only going to get stronger. They have the same heritage and work ethic of their ancestors but now have the time to devote to sports. And great coaches to cultivate their talents.