EBC Week 9 games

NBC 1988

Alliance - Minerva: Whiting won’t let them look past Minerva. Minerva’s small roster is taking it’s toll and one of their best players on both sides of the ball left in 1st quarter of Salem game with apparent ankle sprain, hopefully he is healthy this week. That’s a lot to overcome for any team but too much with a 30 man roster which includes freshmen. Alliance will win this one and be ready for week 10 showdown.

Marlington - West Branch: wb will have to put up a lot of points to win this one because Marlington has weapons to score 40+. I don’t think WB can match scores and Marlington wins by a few scores.

Carrollton- Canton South: what a great job Reed is doing at South, Carrollton May not have won yet but seem to be improving. I think South wins a close one.

Salem- Kenmore-Garfield: love him or hate him Johnson’s teams always get better every year- their weak schedule early got them wins and confidence and now they seem to be peaking. Salem should roll in this one.

EBC 1-4 vs the bye week opponents so far

I wonder what the record would be if the bye week were still Louisville?? Maybe 0-5? Conference is down, marlington is only playoff caliber team (alliance is not a D2 playoff team) and it’s likely Salem will be the only team in the playoffs..

I wonder what the record would be if the bye week were still Louisville?? Maybe 0-5? Conference is down, marlington is only playoff caliber team (alliance is not a D2 playoff team) and it’s likely Salem will be the only team in the playoffs..

If Salem loses either of their last 2 that’s not even certain. Every team they’ve beaten has a losing record, and they’ve lost to every team they’ve played that has a winning one. Kenmore-Garfield is .500 (but it’s D2 points if they win). As others mentioned they have benefited from their schedule being very weak this year but it leaves them zero room for error here at the end.

If Salem loses either of their last 2 that’s not even certain. Every team they’ve beaten has a losing record, and they’ve lost to every team they’ve played that has a winning one. Kenmore-Garfield is .500 (but it’s D2 points if they win). As others mentioned they have benefited from their schedule being very weak this year but it leaves them zero room for error here at the end.
Kenmore isn’t good but they have some athletes, and you never know what WB will put on the field. They’re either decent or a jv team

Marlington wins out they have good chance to be 8 seed and play New Philly again. Dukes have gotten better throughout season but not sure if good enough to win a playoff game. Would be nice if Dover beat NP and Dukes played maybe Streetsboro or Aurora instead.

Marlington wins out they have good chance to be 8 seed and play New Philly again. Dukes have gotten better throughout season but not sure if good enough to win a playoff game. Would be nice if Dover beat NP and Dukes played maybe Streetsboro or Aurora instead.
Marlington doesn’t want to play NP again, only team that probably does is Steubenville and those schools are on a whole different level then marlington

Yep- but one thing Salem did is improve, but i don’t think they are a playoff caliber team this year . The EBC is weak but credit to Salem for winning games and being competitive with the “big 2”.. I guess my point is that marlington does have a playoff type team and may not make and Salem May have the best chance

Yep- but one thing Salem did is improve, but i don’t think they are a playoff caliber team this year . The EBC is weak but credit to Salem for winning games and being competitive with the “big 2”.. I guess my point is that marlington does have a playoff type team and may not make and Salem May have the best chance
Fantastic has Salem finishing as the 7 seed against Poland, that would be a rout

According to Pastuer's Fantastic 50;

If Marlington wins out they could be #8 and play New Philadelphia.

If Alliance wins out the could be in playing Akron Hoban, if they beat Minerva and lose to Marlington they could make it as a #8 and play Massillon.

If Salem wins out they could play Indian Creek or Poland.

Of course this all changes on a weekly basis but it is interesting to look at. but the EBC could actually have 3 playoff teams this year which would be shocking!

Last edited:
According to Pastuer's Fantastic 50;

If Marlington wins out they could be #8 and play New Philadelphia.

If Alliance wins out the could be in playing Akron Hoban, if they beat Minerva and lose to Marlington they could make it as a #8 and play Massillon.

If Salem wins out they could play Indian Creek or Poland.

Of course this all changes on a weekly basis but it is interesting to look at. but the EBC could actually have 3 playoff teams this year which would be shocking!
If struthers beats south range this week then Salem will more then likely get the 7 seed at best with winning out

Kenmore isn’t good but they have some athletes, and you never know what WB will put on the field. They’re either decent or a jv team
Wb is in such disarray I don’t think that I have ever seen a warrior team so unprepared ! Confusion within the team and staff is so evident. Bickley returned for 2 carries then re-injured his knee on the third ! You could just feel the drive sucked out of the team as they carried him off the field Friday. The sideline staff appears to be non motivative aside from the Italian looking coach (name ? ). Your spot on you never know what team is going to take the field or play the next set of downs. I have always tried to boast the Branch within my posts throughout the years ,but I gotta say this program is heading for a cliff !
It’s no secret if you want a successful team you need to play your best players on both sides of the ball and We don’t do that. We don’t have the roster to two platoon. The True athlete will rise to the occasion and overcome Anxiety/ fatigue . Craig , Cruz ,Gregory ,Wilson ,Hillyer ,Flickenger ,MCKeiver and Miziner to name a few should be playing both sides of Ball for 4 qts of every game . I feel for the team an I curse the BOE for there lack of support and foresight . They threw a band-aid on the program in lou of supporting the pre- existing Staff.
Best of luck to Alliance ,Marlington and even Salem as they strive to secure their week 11 slots.

Last edited:
Well being a Marlington fan of course the playoffs would be nice but I really want to win the EBC. Win that and then worry about week 11. Dukes please dont look past WB. One week at a time.

Wb is in such disarray I don’t think that I have ever seen a warrior team so unprepared ! Confusion within the team and staff is so evident. Bickley returned for 2 carries then re-injured his knee on the third ! You could just feel the drive sucked out of the team as they carried him off the field Friday. The sideline staff appears to be non motivative aside from the Italian looking coach (name ? ). Your spot on you never know what team is going to take the field or play the next set of downs. I have always tried to boast the Branch within my posts throughout the years ,but I gotta say this program is heading for a cliff !
It’s no secret if you want a successful team you need to play your best players on both sides of the ball and We don’t do that. We don’t have the roster to two platoon. The True athlete will rise to the occasion and overcome Anxiety/ fatigue . Craig , Cruz ,Gregory ,Wilson ,Hillyer ,Flickenger ,MCKeiver and Miziner to name a few should be playing both sides of Ball for 4 qts of every game . I feel for the team an I curse the BOE for there lack of support and foresight . They threw a band-aid on the program in lou of supporting the pre- existing Staff.
Best of luck to Alliance ,Marlington and even Salem as they strive to secure their week 11 slots.
You are absolutely correct Warrior. I've never seen a WB team so poorly coached. There are athletes on this team. Most are not utilized. Crewson (Cruz) is the strongest kid on the team. Meissner (Miziner) is the second fastest kid only behind McKeiver. Add Makcen and Alec Wilson to that list. WB has several players who start who cannot physically handle varsity football, but they have the right last names. Others who are playing positions they shouldn't. Against West Holmes, the defense couldn't even get lined up before the snap. It was the 8th game of the year and the WB offense cannot run a 2 minute offense yet? This coaching staff as a whole has let these kids down. I agree the only coach that seems to give a damn is Davanzo.
Marlington will score as many points as they want this week. Their starters should be done by halftime. Hopefully, they keep everyone healthy and well rested for the Alliance game next week, get the win, and make it into the playoffs. I just think Marlington looks more like a playoff team than Alliance does. I do think the boys will play hard against Salem in week 10. Salem will win due to coaching. As in, they have a football coach, we don't.

That's a shame about Bickley. I hope WB can turn it around but Marlington may be the wrong team to be playing right now. They can put up some points. Here in Minerva we played pretty good football the first half of the season, capped with a win at WB and realistically could have been 3-2, however, the Lions have not been the same team since then, scoring 0 points against the other teams' varsity in the last 3 weeks and really not providing much resistance on defense. I think the boys played with a sense of urgency and fire trying to end the streak and now they are just playing. I hope they can get back the fire over the last 2 weeks. So far they have been relatively healthy other than Common going down with an ankle injury in the first quarter against Salem. Hopefully he is back this week because with a small roster every injury is magnified. The roster is small and a lot of sophomores play so that hurts, but they do have some good football players and should be able to finish the season on a high note. .

Good luck to WB.

I really would like to see Carrollton get a win this week.

Let's go with:

Alliance 45
Minerva 14

Marlington 38
West Branch 14

Carrollton 21
Canton South 20

Salem 30
Akron K-G 21

looks like good picks QCity. I was really impressed by the Quaker's aggressive play last Friday. The Lions just couldn't get any room to run and no time to pass. And our best running back went down early, that didn't help but it would not have made that big of a difference in the final outcome, it was already 22-0 when he got hurt.. The freshman QB was really impressive.

looks like good picks QCity. I was really impressed by the Quaker's aggressive play last Friday. The Lions just couldn't get any room to run and no time to pass. And our best running back went down early, that didn't help but it would not have made that big of a difference in the final outcome, it was already 22-0 when he got hurt.. The freshman QB was really impressive.
Minerva has no grit or toughness like we used too. We are not improving and look worse now then in week one. Every team has injuries, no excuse. A “Freshman QB that looked impressive” and he did. That’s when you know playing varsity is earned not just given because of your name!!! I’ve lost interest and going to Malvern games so just hope Minerva wins and like I said really don’t care about the EBC.

Minerva has no grit or toughness like we used too. We are not improving and look worse now then in week one. Every team has injuries, no excuse. A “Freshman QB that looked impressive” and he did. That’s when you know playing varsity is earned not just given because of your name!!! I’ve lost interest and going to Malvern games so just hope Minerva wins and like I said really don’t care about the EBC.
If you don’t care why do you comment on it?

If you took over the team in May 2019 the Lions would have a 60 man roster, have enough kids to play both Freshmen and JV games, have 4 viable quarterbacks to choose from, would be running a spread offense and putting up 40+ per game and the defense would be giving up 10. We would magically have 20 linemen to choose from and the boys would all be bigger, stronger and faster. You would have also walked the halls and used your charm and we would have 15 seniors instead of 2. You would have done all of this in the 3 months leading into the season. Please tell me where these magic wands are sold because I need one.

Here's the real deal Lion86. This year is all about developing young players for 2020. I had the program out Friday and we not only did Minerva have Sophomores playing early in the game, but they also had Freshmen playing. I saw 6 sophomores and 4 freshmen playing minutes early in the game. So keep telling these kids the are not tough, keep complaining about the quarterback, keep complaining about the offense, keep complaining about the low numbers. How would you have done as a freshman on a Friday night?

Give up, become a Malvern fan, stay away and stop posting if you are going to continually just bash the coaches, kids and program.

I think Hundley is going to turn this thing around and took a step in doing so this year. Of course we all would like to see a 3-5 record right now (that's realistic) and you will see a pretty good team next year. There are some very good players on the field and all are Juniors, it will be a different team next year. So please stay away and don't be part of any turn around.

Alliance wins big
Marlington possibly a running clock at or early 3rd.
Salem by a few TD's
I'm going with Carrollton
All we EBC fans hear nothing but how weak the league is. Ok it's down overall but theres potential for 3 teams to play week 11. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Looks like week 10 will be set up for the EBC championship, plus playoff possibilities. They should move this game to Saturday so other schools could watch. Not looking past week 9 but think Alliance and Marlington both should win handily.
Wow if all 3 make it, it looks like Alliance would face Hoban and Marlington might have round 2 with new Philly. But those could change if theres some upsets. Not sure about Salem.
Ok focus on week 9.
Good luck to all.

Alliance wins big
Marlington possibly a running clock at or early 3rd.
Salem by a few TD's
I'm going with Carrollton
All we EBC fans hear nothing but how weak the league is. Ok it's down overall but theres potential for 3 teams to play week 11. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Looks like week 10 will be set up for the EBC championship, plus playoff possibilities. They should move this game to Saturday so other schools could watch. Not looking past week 9 but think Alliance and Marlington both should win handily.
Wow if all 3 make it, it looks like Alliance would face Hoban and Marlington might have round 2 with new Philly. But those could change if theres some upsets. Not sure about Salem.
Ok focus on week 9.
Good luck to all.

Good picks Wilidcat.
The EBC is down and doesn't have much balance this year. I know there are still 2 weeks to go and it' way too early but a little insight for 2020, But I really think the league as whole will be much better and more balanced in 2020.

Marlington is a quality football team losing to Poland by a point and scoring 22 on the #1 D3 team in the state. They are the real deal. Will lose the most players next year. It will be hard for them to replace this senior class. They will still be good but may be 1 on 2 teams that may take a step backwards.

Alliance plays a pretty good Non League schedule and is a good D3 team but will struggle as a D2 team, if they make the playoffs. I think they are actually a pretty young team and should be really good in 2020, probably the 2020 league favorite.

Salem is really surprising and benefited form a weak scheduled early in the season but has improved and playing good football. Lots of seniors and may take a step backwards in 2020 but Johnson seems to always have them competitive in the league.

Incredible coaching job Reed at Canton South, but only 2 wins but getting the most out of his team. We they have some talent next year? Don't know but he will coach them up.

WB is probably the most disappointing. are they underachieving or did they have too much hype? They have some good skilled kids coming back and should be better in 2020.

Minerva played pretty well the 1st half of the season. Extremely young team and returns just about everyone in 2020. Can Hundley increase the numbers in 2020? Regardless they will have some really good football players in 2020. I am looking forward to see how the kids progress in the off season.

Carrollton has a very good coach and he is a proven winner. They are winless so have this year but the scores indicate that the are improving. He took over so late and next year it will be his team. They should be much better in 2020..

For now, to quote CaptainA, I look forward to "watching the boys play some ball tonight"!!!!