Undefeated Gibsonburg Could Miss OHSAA Football Playoffs...See Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your point, and I kind of understand throwing all the MAC schools in one even though Coldwater should be D5 just my opinion on that. Throwing on LCC and a few others hurt a lot of other teams in this region.
74 kids on their roster. While most division 6 teams have 50-60 maybe?

Anna certainly should be in the SW. CW and Minster could be in either.

Anna High School is like a quarter mile south of Minster High School. Not sure why they should “certainly” go south while Minster could go either way.

Last edited:
Minster has gone south every year since at least 2005. This is the first year going north that I remember.

To address another post about the state creating this. They most assuredly did. When creating the regions each year, they have the ability to move counties north/south or east/west. As long as they have about the same amount of schools in each region. They try not to split counties, but have done it in the past.

In my opinion, it would not have been that difficult to move, at least Anna (Shelby County) south.

While the state did indeed create this, it’s a pretty large leap to assume they did it as part of some grand plan to keep too many MAC teams out of the final four. I’m not saying you said this, but someone earlier did.

I see your point, and I kind of understand throwing all the MAC schools in one even though Coldwater should be D5 just my opinion on that. Throwing on LCC and a few others hurt a lot of other teams in this region.
Coldwater and Anna just missed being D5. Marion Local is barely D7 and Minster is barely D6. Not sure what OHSAA was competitively balancing. Lots of missed opportunities to do so. They hurt everyone- including the MAC conference IMO. There are kids working their butts off in all these programs and it will be for not in some of these regions for post season. There is no balance putting the majority of the MAC conference in the same division and region.
Why should fear / or lack of competition mean the balance is placing all the teams together? MAC teams don't know how good or not good they are if all they get to play is their conference teams post season. Who else does this? Other teams in other areas find out how good or not good they are playing competitive games and not blow outs.

Last edited:
I live in the SE district and have seen/heard the schools here complain for years about having to play MAC schools all the time in week 11 and 12 while Northern schools get to in week 14. Everyone around here is of the mind of "finally, the Northern schools get to deal with the MAC and not us for once."
So maybe every 4 years they could be moved back and forth to give each district a chance not to deal with them?
Not sure I understand your comment. Complain, why? Deal with what? Because they don't want to play competitive football? Its post season, not time for participation trophies. You have a choice to work to play to a higher level (not saying that only MAC is a high level) and rise up or not. 10-12 years ago Minster had seasons of 0-10, 1-9 and I believe 5-5. When looking for the next coach it was a large discussion on which direction to take the program. They chose to work to be compete.
There have been many years when the the bottom half of the seeds in a region barely or didn't even have a winning record. Is that good football or balanced?

Coldwater and Anna just missed being D5. Marion Local is barely D7 and Minster is barely D6. Not sure what OHSAA was competitively balancing. Lots of missed opportunities to do so. They hurt everyone- including the MAC conference IMO. There are kids working their butts off in all these programs and it will be for not in some of these regions for post season. There is no balance putting the majority of the MAC conference in the same division and region.
Why should fear / or lack of competition mean the balance is placing all the teams together? MAC teams don't know how good or not good they are if all they get to play is their conference teams post season. Who else does this? Other teams in other areas find out how good or not good they are playing competitive games and not blow outs.
The regions are geographic, it has always been that way. Check out the D1 central region track sometime. Lots of kids who run top 8 times in the state, never make it to state because it is so difficult to get out of the central. What you are dealing with is not any different than other regions.

Being from. state where pretty much every school gets in (Ky is severely less populated than Ohio though) it’s probably tough to take my playoff talk seriously. But, why not just get with the 21st century (20th even) and do what the majority of states do and go to district play for playoffs? As stories as Ohio high school football is, it truly seems to be slow to adapt to modernization for whatever reason. No state playoff until 1972 and even then it was two teams per region. They didn’t expand to 8 teams per region until the 90s.

I get you have historic rivalries with the conferences, but you also have how many conferences that have teams in multiple divisions.

Go to district play for playoffs and there would be zero chance an undefeated team missed the playoffs and talk of “schedule tougher” would cease to exist.
Our system is fine. A team has to challenge themselves to be in week 11 at least some. This team, didn’t.

There was a time when the MAC had 3 teams in the state title game from 2014-2016, with 2014 having all three becoming state champions. The state had to create disparity and bring Coldwater down to D6. If Coldwater had stayed D5, there might have been another 3 division sweep in 2017.

Being from. state where pretty much every school gets in (Ky is severely less populated than Ohio though) it’s probably tough to take my playoff talk seriously. But, why not just get with the 21st century (20th even) and do what the majority of states do and go to district play for playoffs? As stories as Ohio high school football is, it truly seems to be slow to adapt to modernization for whatever reason. No state playoff until 1972 and even then it was two teams per region. They didn’t expand to 8 teams per region until the 90s.

I get you have historic rivalries with the conferences, but you also have how many conferences that have teams in multiple divisions.

Go to district play for playoffs and there would be zero chance an undefeated team missed the playoffs and talk of “schedule tougher” would cease to exist.
What is "district play"?

Can we stop acting like their out or conference schedule was so weak

They beat a 6-2 and a 5-3 team they also can’t control
How weak their conference is

Based on projections they would be the 8 seed in region 21, it's not just region 23, had Kirtland not moved to DV, they would be out there as well. It would be a shame to be 10-0 and miss the playoffs but it is what it is.

Based on projections they would be the 8 seed in region 21, it's not just region 23, had Kirtland not moved to DV, they would be out there as well. It would be a shame to be 10-0 and miss the playoffs but it is what it is.

They'd also be the 5 seed in region 22 and the 4 seed in region 24...perhaps their schedule could be better, but this is far more a function of region geography as opposed to them playing a crappy schedule.

The massive cluster of high-end teams in region 23 is not normal. 6 of the top 8 D6 teams by the Fantastic 50 algorithm are in region 23. Fantastic 50 has Gibsonburg as the 18th highest rated D6 team but only 8th in region 23.

The state will split a division or class into leagues. Your playoff qualification is based on district play.
So it increases the chances you will play someone in the regular season and then see them again in the playoffs? Also could likely eliminate neighboring schools being rivals?

Can we stop acting like their out or conference schedule was so weak

They beat a 6-2 and a 5-3 team they also can’t control
How weak their conference is

Pretty sure they dropped out of the old Suburban Lakes League when Lakota left and there was an opening for Rossford. Gibsonburg, Woodmore and Elmwood did not want to see another "large" school brought in. Gibsonburg chose to leave and created a second opening for Fostoria.

Elmwood and Woodmore decided to stay and have struggled to be competitive in football most years, although they do compete in other sports.

Gibsonburg also left the TAAC, so I'm not sure I'd give them too much credit for "not being able to control how bad their league is." Seems like they chose it for competitive reasons.

The state will split a division or class into leagues. Your playoff qualification is based on district play.

Michigan lets in anyone who goes 6-3 or better (they only play 9 regular season games) and then decides on divisional assignments to even out the brackets. A handful of 5-4 teams get in every year to fill out the field. There are a lot of mismatches in the first round, but every team with a decent record gets a shot. It also theoretically might preserve traditional rivalries because larger schools wouldn't be afraid of dropping points when scheduling a smaller neighbor. If Maumee ever left the NLL, for example, they could still schedule Perrysburg without either school's playoff chances being affected.

First off, they need a better OOC schedule. Second, if they would happen to make it, they would have a running clock on them just like you spoke of in your response.
so last year they were in the playoffs with a 9-1 record..this year might be undefeated.... and not get in....can someone ask Snodgrass what the heck they were thinking when they put region 23 together?

i think this is an overreaction. i agree it will be a shame if Gibsonburg doesn’t get in at 10-0, they just had some bad luck. but i’m not very upset the MAC schools are in R23 this year. personally i would like to see them in R24 as they generally get Dayton area news coverage. but let’s be real, Coldwater is closer to Findlay than Cincinnati. in comparison to R24, Worthington Christian and Lucasville Valley High school are both closer to Cincinnati than Coldwater is, both by time and miles. Coal Grove Dawson Bryant is an equal distance to Cincinnati as Coldwater is. the farthest drive in R24 would be Arcanum to Dawson Bryant, which is probably the worst travel of any potential regional playoff matchup across D6. there are bigger problems.

Schedule the teams that are ahead of you in the region.
Also could schedule up. D5,6,7 that get at least 2 games up 1-2 divisions have a huge advantage. Protection from a bad league year.

R17 Sandy Valley in same boat. Will finish 9-1 but do not control their own destiny. Bad league & mediocre OOC really hurt them.

Last time I looked, 10-0 Gibsonburg is projected to have enough points to make the playoffs in Division 3, Region 12.

Region 23 is just a monster, We all saw it before teh season started. It is too bad the OHSAA did not.

So it increases the chances you will play someone in the regular season and then see them again in the playoffs? Also could likely eliminate neighboring schools being rivals?
You say that like it's a bad thing. Also it depends how the playoffs are bracketed. We're just talking qualification. Not bracketing. Texas crosses their first round with another district so first round games aren't against district foes.

You could also split Ohio D2-D7 into four regions with 4 districts in each. That's about 7 teams per district. Take the top 2 in each district and then put all 8 into a bracket using Harbin for seeding. It doesn't have to be a hard bracket.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Also it depends how the playoffs are bracketed. We're just talking qualification. Not bracketing. Texas crosses their first round with another district so first round games aren't against district foes.

You could also split Ohio D2-D7 into four regions with 4 districts in each. That's about 7 teams per district. Take the top 2 in each district and then put all 8 into a bracket using Harbin for seeding. It doesn't have to be a hard bracket.
your proposal is interesting. i’ll look into it. you could play 6-7 district games then the rest OOC games

your proposal is interesting. i’ll look into it. you could play 6-7 district games then the rest OOC games
Correct. Just like any league currently. But your league may change with each cycle. But you can schedule your non league games any way you want.

There was a time when the MAC had 3 teams in the state title game from 2014-2016, with 2014 having all three becoming state champions. The state had to create disparity and bring Coldwater down to D6. If Coldwater had stayed D5, there might have been another 3 division sweep in 2017.

Um.
No. The 2017 version of CW football was its weakest since probably 1996. They had a less than 6 point OFF and DEF average.

OTher years, yeah the league was a def threat to win 3 like in 2014, but not in 2017

Not a fan. I dont want to give up league play and go against our friends, families, coworkers, relatives, etc. I am not sure how you would build league rivalries. Plus one of the great things about HS sports is going aginst the same opponents in different sports nd watching some kids excel in multiple, or own you in one sport and then you own them in a diff sport.

Um.
No. The 2017 version of CW football was its weakest since probably 1996. They had a less than 6 point OFF and DEF average.

OTher years, yeah the league was a def threat to win 3 like in 2014, but not in 2017
2017 was not a banner year for the Cavs. That's for sure. Did the best we could with the talent we had though.

Status
Not open for further replies.