Undefeated Gibsonburg Could Miss OHSAA Football Playoffs...See Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Eitel currently has them 8th. I think they will get in because Fairview has two tough games remaining while Gibsonburg's are far easier.

It would be a absolute shame if the Bears go undefeated and don’t make the playoffs. It is not there fault they play in a weak conference so strength of schedule hurts them. The blame goes on OHSAA and the hose job they put on region 23. They put all the MAC schools and a few other small school powerhouses in there to try and have them knock each other off and get more teams in the playoffs that probably don’t belong in them. No disrespect to some other regions but you will probably see teams out of region 23 with 2 loses or no loses miss the playoffs when they would be in the top of other conferences. Then other teams with .500 records get in. Nobody wants to see running clocks in the playoffs the first week on a widespread basis. It’s comically called the MAC rule and all those changes started after they had 3 teams in the Title games in D5-D6-D7 back in 2014. Silly OHSAA spread the talent out abit over the regions, and then you will have better turnout and competition in the first 2 rounds instead of blowouts. I understand competitive balance idea but your making it ridiculous. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah the region is an overloaded joke but Gibsonburg should be having crossover games with the Bay division of the SBC. Playing those higher division teams would have gotten them into the playoffs.

It would be a absolute shame if the Bears go undefeated and don’t make the playoffs. It is not there fault they play in a weak conference so strength of schedule hurts them. The blame goes on OHSAA and the hose job they put on region 23. They put all the MAC schools and a few other small school powerhouses in there to try and have them knock each other off and get more teams in the playoffs that probably don’t belong in them. No disrespect to some other regions but you will probably see teams out of region 23 with 2 loses or no loses miss the playoffs when they would be in the top of other conferences. Then other teams with .500 records get in. Nobody wants to see running clocks in the playoffs the first week on a widespread basis. It’s comically called the MAC rule and all those changes started after they had 3 teams in the Title games in D5-D6-D7 back in 2014. Silly OHSAA spread the talent out abit over the regions, and then you will have better turnout and competition in the first 2 rounds instead of blowouts. I understand competitive balance idea but your making it ridiculous. Just my 2 cents.
First off, they need a better OOC schedule. Second, if they would happen to make it, they would have a running clock on them just like you spoke of in your response.

I don’t disagree but it’s hard for some of the weaker schools to crossover, But you have to schedule a few hard NC games. As long as you can find them.

I live in the SE district and have seen/heard the schools here complain for years about having to play MAC schools all the time in week 11 and 12 while Northern schools get to in week 14. Everyone around here is of the mind of "finally, the Northern schools get to deal with the MAC and not us for once."
So maybe every 4 years they could be moved back and forth to give each district a chance not to deal with them?

First off, they need a better OOC schedule. Second, if they would happen to make it, they would have a running clock on them just like you spoke of in your response.
I think you are right on clock but still if you go undefeated and didn’t play the system to do it and win your conference you should probably get a 8 seed at least. I see it both ways, but if they hadn’t played games in region 23 this wouldn’t even be a issue.

Were Gibsonburg to miss playoffs at 10-0, they would be on both the good and bad ends of two OHSAA notable postseason “quirks”: only team to miss football playoffs at 10-0 in the current 7-division format but also the only school to have won a team state title with a losing record (Baseball, 2005.)

I live in the SE district and have seen/heard the schools here complain for years about having to play MAC schools all the time in week 11 and 12 while Northern schools get to in week 14. Everyone around here is of the mind of "finally, the Northern schools get to deal with the MAC and not us for once."
So maybe every 4 years they could be moved back and forth to give each district a chance not to deal with them?
I see your point, and I kind of understand throwing all the MAC schools in one even though Coldwater should be D5 just my opinion on that. Throwing on LCC and a few others hurt a lot of other teams in this region.

For out of conference, they should schedule Toledo City League, Cleveland Senate League, or Akron City Series teams. They are all larger schools than Gibsonburg but are probably on equal footing program-wise.

To be fair, that hose job has been on Region 24 for years. Region 24 is thankful for the reprieve. Haha. Regardless, you can't blame the MAC for being located where they are and for being good at football. If you want to make the playoffs, you have to schedule solid opponents and win games. It's a simple formula that most of Region 24 (and 20/28) have had to adapt to for years.

Ottawa Hills was an upgrade over Elmwood, and Antwerp won 6 games last year. More than anything, Gburg is a victim of circumstance.

To be fair, that hose job has been on Region 24 for years. Region 24 is thankful for the reprieve. Haha. Regardless, you can't blame the MAC for being located where they are and for being good at football. If you want to make the playoffs, you have to schedule solid opponents and win games. It's a simple formula that most of Region 24 (and 20/28) have had to adapt to for years.

The MAC schools are just in no mans land when it comes to geography. I can see both points....They go a million different ways and it just depends on sport. I think they should clarify which district they are in and then keep that for each sport.

My proposal:

Anna- SW Ohio in every other sport, but get pushed to NW Ohio in Football.
- They should be in region 24 for football

Coldwater- NW Ohio in every other sport
- They should be in region 23 or the old region 22

Minster- NW Ohio in Every Sport other than baseball and girls basketball.

If they keep the district/regions the same then you have less crossover. LIke SH won the SW Regional last year in basketball, they should be in region 24. Marion Local won the SW Regional the year before that, if they were D6 they should be in region 24.

Joe Eitel currently has them 8th. I think they will get in because Fairview has two tough games remaining while Gibsonburg's are far easier.
You also need to factor in the week 9 & 10 games for teams that Gibsonburg has beaten. What are the chances that the teams they've beaten continue to win?

Drew Pasteur is usually pretty accurate. http://fantastic50.net/team516.html

More conditional playoff info
(based on number of wins)
9W: 14.28 (13.25-16.18) 2% in, 0% home, proj. out
10W: 16.27 (15.60-17.77) 27% in, 0% home, proj. out

Last edited:
I see your point, and I kind of understand throwing all the MAC schools in one even though Coldwater should be D5 just my opinion on that. Throwing on LCC and a few others hurt a lot of other teams in this region.
I believe Coldwater and Anna would both be DV if competitive balance did not exist.

The MAC schools are just in no mans land when it comes to geography. I can see both points....They go a million different ways and it just depends on sport. I think they should clarify which district they are in and then keep that for each sport.

My proposal:

Anna- SW Ohio in every other sport, but get pushed to NW Ohio in Football.
- They should be in region 24 for football

Coldwater- NW Ohio in every other sport

Minster- NW Ohio in Every Sport other than baseball and girls basketball.

If they keep the district/regions the same then you have less crossover. LIke SH won the SW Regional last year in basketball, they should be in region 24. Marion Local won the SW Regional the year before that, if they were D6 they should be in region 24.
Over the years CW has teetered from NW to SW district.

No one did anything to the region. It is that way in every sport. They need to play better schools pre conference. One of my kids teams went 9-1 one year, and didn't make it. Their point total would have had them in at 8th in every year prior or since. It's just the way it goes. Our preconference that year was crap.

No one did anything to the region. It is that way in every sport. They need to play better schools pre conference. One of my kids teams went 9-1 one year, and didn't make it. Their point total would have had them in at 8th in every year prior or since. It's just the way it goes. Our preconference that year was crap.
I don't know about that.
Anna certainly should be in the SW. CW and Minster could be in either. I know CW has gone north some years, and south some years. Maybe bigkat can fill us in on Minster.

I don't know about that.
Anna certainly should be in the SW. CW and Minster could be in either. I know CW has gone north some years, and south some years. Maybe bigkat can fill us in on Minster.
Minster has gone south every year since at least 2005. This is the first year going north that I remember.

To address another post about the state creating this. They most assuredly did. When creating the regions each year, they have the ability to move counties north/south or east/west. As long as they have about the same amount of schools in each region. They try not to split counties, but have done it in the past.

In my opinion, it would not have been that difficult to move, at least Anna (Shelby County) south.

Schedule up in your OOC. If you are good enough teams will play you to get the points if they beat you. If you schedule up it covers gaps if your league is having a down year.

Minster has gone south every year since at least 2005. This is the first year going north that I remember.

To address another post about the state creating this. They most assuredly did. When creating the regions each year, they have the ability to move counties north/south or east/west. As long as they have about the same amount of schools in each region. They try not to split counties, but have done it in the past.

In my opinion, it would not have been that difficult to move, at least Anna (Shelby County) south.
I thought they usually did but we were never in their division so I couldn't recall. I know CW has gone back and forth over the years

Being from. state where pretty much every school gets in (Ky is severely less populated than Ohio though) it’s probably tough to take my playoff talk seriously. But, why not just get with the 21st century (20th even) and do what the majority of states do and go to district play for playoffs? As stories as Ohio high school football is, it truly seems to be slow to adapt to modernization for whatever reason. No state playoff until 1972 and even then it was two teams per region. They didn’t expand to 8 teams per region until the 90s.

I get you have historic rivalries with the conferences, but you also have how many conferences that have teams in multiple divisions.

Go to district play for playoffs and there would be zero chance an undefeated team missed the playoffs and talk of “schedule tougher” would cease to exist.

I don't know about that.
The regions cannot be perfect. Some will be fairly confined others will stretch for 100 miles. D3 11 goes from Zanesville in the east, to Bellbrook in the west and Jackson in the south, it's huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.