Westen Buckeye League Prediction Contest & Discussion, Week 3

Nash

Totally forgot about this, I will post last week's results by Tuesday, hopefully.

(2-0) Wapak at Van Wert (2-0)
(0-2) Elida at Bath (0-2)
(1-1) St. Marys at O-G (1-1)
(2-0) Shawnee at Defiance (0-2)
(1-1) Kenton at Celina (1-1)

Game of the week is Wapak at Van Wert. 2 of the 3 undefeated teams left play this week, the winner could be the heavy favorite to at least win a share of the title. Hard to believe there will only be two undefeated teams left in week 4. On paper it looks like there could be competitive games this week, but then again, many years the puzzle doesn't fall into place until late in the season.

EDIT:
The favorites went 4-1, with Celina losing. No one picked Kenton or O-G to lose, only one person picked Van Wert to lose, Wapak was a 12-4 favorite and Celina was a 10-6 favorite. Most people got 4 out of 5, but two people finished 3-2 last week. There's still a big tie for first place, one more than last week.

11-4 Beezer70
11-4 buckeye1689
11-4 Cavman96
11-4 cknights
11-4 Nash
11-4 StateChampion 2012
11-4 tucson

10-5 CougarDad52
10-5 Shoeless Joe
10-5 Union County Fan

7-8 dhsdog06
7-8 snoopdog3

8-7 LICKING COUNTY FAN

9-6 ex_dc_atc
9-6 HighSchoolFB45

Others:
7-3 Michael Hirn
4-1 BlessEmAll

Last edited:

(2-0) Wapak at Van Wert (2-0) Upset of the year in the WBL. Van Wert is just playing really sound ball right now.
(0-2) Elida at Bath (0-2) Elida rights the ship. Still a chance to win their next three
(1-1) St. Marys at O-G (1-1) I almost gave this to OG. Their fan base will be out in full force.
(2-0) Shawnee at Defiance (0-2) Shawnee is on a roll. Surprise of the WBL so far this year.
(1-1) Kenton at Celina (1-1) I see this as being a battle. Celina's running game will show up but Kenton will have too much firepower

(2-0) Wapak at Van Wert (2-0) - Total Homer. I believe in the Cougars for the upset at home!
(0-2) Elida at Bath (0-2) - I hear Elida is playing with back up QB. Second upset called!
(1-1) St. Marys at O-G (1-1) - Interesting game. Believing in the Rough-riders to bounce back.
(2-0) Shawnee at Defiance (0-2) - Defiance can't get out of their own way.
(1-1) Kenton at Celina (1-1) - I want to believe in Celina but can't.

(2-0) Wapak at Van Wert (2-0) - Van Wert is better than people thought they would be, but Wapak has something different about them this year
(0-2) Elida at Bath (0-2) - The team that is slightly less worse than the other one
(1-1) St. Marys at O-G (1-1) - OG is going to prove itself as one of the best teams in DIV by week 10
(2-0) Shawnee at Defiance (0-2) - Shawnee will win this week and next week will face off against Wapak as the only other team in the WBL.
(1-1) Kenton at Celina (1-1) - I’m not sure what this Kenton team is, but this week will prove a lot.

(1-1) Kenton
at Celina (1-1)

This is a really competitive week within the WBL. Really good match-ups and difficult to predict. Wapak seems to be the overall favorite in the WBL, so going with them here. Van Wert has a beautiful stadium though, and there's a chance they could pull it out at home. Elida over Bath and Kenton over Celina seem like the most likely wins of the week even if they do have similar records. The real toss ups for me are SM-OG and Shawnee-Defi. SM is down this year and OG is a formidable foe. OG seemed sharp against a not so great Elida team. Even though last year doesn't matter, SM did blow the barn doors off OG. I'm a bit torn there between what should be two really good teams this year. And then with Shawnee-Defi... I'm not sold on Shawnee yet. I don't think the 2-0 vs 0-2 record matters here. Both have largely been below average teams in the WBL in recent years. I expect some upsets in what looks to be an exciting Friday of high school football.

Tough road trips for Wapak and St. Marys after a classic battle last Friday. Do both avoid letdowns? I think so but both close games IMO

(2-0) Wapak at Van Wert (2-0) - Total Homer. I believe in the Cougars for the upset at home!
(0-2) Elida at Bath (0-2) - I hear Elida is playing with back up QB. Second upset called!
(1-1) St. Marys at O-G (1-1) - Interesting game. Believing in the Rough-riders to bounce back.
(2-0) Shawnee at Defiance (0-2) - Defiance can't get out of their own way.
(1-1) Kenton at Celina (1-1) - I want to believe in Celina but can't.

Attachments

• 2017129221220907_image.JPG
    2017129221220907_image.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 12

Wapak - Appear to be solid as usual. Not sold on VW yet.
Elida - Tough year again for Bath
OG - My upset special of the week.
Shawnee - Could go other way, if Defiance plays to their talent level.
Kenton - Not sure about this one. Celina seems to give up a lot of points.

A few people still need to get in their picks.

Wapak - favorites yet again...
Elida - finally someone Elida can beat.
St. Marys - man this could go either way it feels like, but as usual, I side with the favorite.
Shawnee - Defiance will never take a step up.
Kenton - still too early to get a read on these two teams.

Wapak- No one is touching them this year
Elida- Could be the only win of the season for the Dogs
St. Marys- Total toss up, but I just can't see the Riders losing back to back
Shawnee- At their best, Defiance probably outplayed Napoleon and hung with VW for a half. Unfortunately, the stupid penalties and turnovers just won't stop. Winable game, but they won't win it.

Wapak- No one is touching them this year
Elida- Could be the only win of the season for the Dogs
St. Marys- Total toss up, but I just can't see the Riders losing back to back
Shawnee- At their best, Defiance probably outplayed Napoleon and hung with VW for a half. Unfortunately, the stupid penalties and turnovers just won't stop. Winable game, but they won't win it.

I felt like Defiance was in that Van Wert game all game, they just couldn’t stop beating themselves.

I felt like Defiance was in that Van Wert game all game, they just couldn’t stop beating themselves.
Wapak has some tough games ahead and actually a little nervous about tonight's game with Van Wert. Who did Wapak pick up for next years first game heard Bradford was open.

Who did Wapak pick up for next years first game heard Bradford was open.
Bradford?? ? Someone on here commented that Wapak picked up Holland Springfield (D-2 R-7). That same thread mentioned there were also preliminary discussions with Dresden Tri-Valley (D-3 R-11)

Van Wert was up all game and up two scores at halftime. They went up three scores early in the 3rd, and put another one on before pulling their starters when up 4 scores. If they would have hit their PATs or started going for two, it would have been more lopsided. I wasn't there and it does sound like Defiance had a blocked punt and a few turnovers, but Van Wert did the same to Bryan the week before.

From what I hear, Defiance is better than they are playing. However, I would put Van Wert a solid top 3 team in the WBL right now and tonight should tell us alot more about both teams.