Beaver Local (1-1) At Minerva (0-2)

Thoughts on this match up that will be played in Minerva. Both teams are in D4, Region 13. Seems to be setting up as a competitive game.

Beaver defeated D6 LaBrae but lost to D2 Kenmore- Garfield. Both were relatively low scoring games. Beaver has scored 29 pts and allowed 33.
Minerva has lost to D6 United and D5 Sandy Valley. Both were relatively high scoring games. Minerva has scored 46 pts and allowed 69.

Please comment on the GAME with class and respect. If you only want to bash coaches, schemes, players or elaborate on Minerva's losing streak then please go somewhere else. Good luck to both teams.

Beaver local by 14 but Minerva keeps it close for 3 quarters.

Minerva needs to get out of that conference and start playing schools like Edgewood and Jefferson

Minerva needs to get out of that conference and start playing schools like Edgewood and Jefferson

Minerva competes in most other sports, both boys and girls- they are not going anywhere. It’s time to get off the streak and discuss this year’s team. I don’t know much about Beaver Local- but The Lions are improving, averaging about 350 yards per game, defense actually showed improvement and got beat by one of the best quarterbacks in the area if not the state but were in the game for 4 quarters. The Lions have good football players on this team. I would pick Beaver Local - the Lions have to learn how to close out games- they had leads late in both games and made costly mistakes, have to get better in that area/ if we play a clean game we should be competitive in most games

If Beaver Local plays how they played against Kenmore, Minerva will get off their losing streak. Beaver looked like a completely different team last week, compared to what they looked like in week 1 against Labrae. How's Minerva's line look?

If Beaver Local plays how they played against Kenmore, Minerva will get off their losing streak. Beaver looked like a completely different team last week, compared to what they looked like in week 1 against Labrae. How's Minerva's line look?
Minerva has a few extremely good linemen but not much depth. The have to play both sides of the ball.

6'2" 285 Jr
6'3" 260 Jr
6' 250 Jr
6' 250 Sr
6' 190 frosh

Tight end is 6' 225 Jr

I think this is the week. Lions late in a close one. Good luck lions. Its time.
we hope so Old Wildcat. We were in the first 2 games, and ahead late in 2nd half. We just have to learn how to close out games. Although, Sandy Valley has a great QB and he made big time plays with his feet and arm (he is only a Junior!). They have an explosive offense, they deserved to win and will get at least 8 or 9 wins. If they can beat Indian Valley they could be 10-0 in the conference they are in. So being in games and competing for 4 quarters is a big step. We do have some good football players this year and talent sure does help!

This is a very winnable game for Minerva. Kenmore-Garfield is a struggling program and beat Beaver by 2 scores. Good luck to the Lions.

I see that the Minerva candy coating has a hold on these threads too, no opinion unless it’s what we want to hear. Funny stuff, your right Buckeye I have said it since the NBC didn’t go 2 tier. Minerva has no business in the EBC. We just have enough JV to field a team, no extra. What does that say for the future. Numbers are where they are, we can’t and will not have success in the EBC, so kids won’t go out and play for a losing program with no chance of advancing to playoffs or winning more than a few games. We can stay in the EBC but Lions fans are in for years of losing. I think a new league would benefit our program immensely and give the kids a chance to be successful. How about a 2 tier EBC? I think the Wing T is to predictable and outdated but with some changes on the Defensive side we could have a chance to win this game. I like more play action (pump fakes) and motion on offense. Common at QB and Costea at RB or WR.

I said the same thing about Orrville a number of years ago. Much the same as the current situation in Minerva minus the “streak”.
They finally went into a conference more their size and it paid huge dividends.
The fans and teams will eventually adjust.
I distinctly remember Struthers leaving the old SVC. It was a bitter pill to swallow at the time. But it had to be done. And we’ve never looked back.

There’s no reason Minerva should be trying to complete with D2 Alliance and D3 Marlington. Plus many of the others.
Numbers just aren’t there. And they do have options.

When people on here say not to speak about the streak and then go onto say they have great players etc, something just doesn’t add up there. Players win games.

Problem with the IVC is the IVC DOESNT Need a change and although there is one or two the size of Minerva doubt they want a 240 Boys school that is pretty far from most schools in league

Minerva probably does need a change of scenery for their sake, but no way IVC wants them. They are doing just fine. Minerva would be biggest school with Claymont.

This is a thread About Friday’s game but I can give an opinion on the EBC- Minerva, canton south, Carrollton and Salem are all in the same situation. They all have similar enrollments and If you look at historical records, these 4 schools are all very similar in all sports and should be playing each other. They are good matchups. West Branch isn’t too far off- alliance and marlington are going to be the cream of the crop in most sports most of the time in the current EBC - so yes of would be nice to get into a perfect conference that includes Minerva, Carrollton, Salem and Canton South but in 2019 we have a schedule to play and we need improve to compete. And there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to compete with the 4 schools mentioned and our non-league schedule on a yearly basis, that is what coach Hundley and staff are after.

Problem with the IVC is the IVC DOESNT Need a change and although there is one or two the size of Minerva doubt they want a 240 Boys school that is pretty far from most schools in league

Minerva probably does need a change of scenery for their sake, but no way IVC wants them. They are doing just fine. Minerva would be biggest school with Claymont.
If anything Alliance and Marlington need to team up with Louisville, Dover and NP And form a league. The remaining teams on the EBC are good matchups

When people on here say not to speak about the streak and then go onto say they have great players etc, something just doesn’t add up there. Players win games.

You are right-Players win games, unfortunately Minerva didn’t have the players to win games over the last 4 years. Expect 2 years ago losing 2 overtime games and not being able to get one in last seconds- other than that it’s been pretty much 4 years of continuous clocks-but the Lions do have some good football players this year, mostly juniors and sophomores - that is why the 1st 2 games were winnable. That is why the next 2 games are winnable, at least on paper.

I said the same thing about Orrville a number of years ago. Much the same as the current situation in Minerva minus the “streak”.
They finally went into a conference more their size and it paid huge dividends.
The fans and teams will eventually adjust.
I distinctly remember Struthers leaving the old SVC. It was a bitter pill to swallow at the time. But it had to be done. And we’ve never looked back.

There’s no reason Minerva should be trying to complete with D2 Alliance and D3 Marlington. Plus many of the others.
Numbers just aren’t there. And they do have options.
Louisville and Alliance both left the Federal League a long time ago because the could not compete. I don’t think finding a perfect league is that easy. Alliance is definitely growing out of the EBC and Marlington mat be too.

You are right-Players win games, unfortunately Minerva didn’t have the players to win games over the last 4 years. Expect 2 years ago losing 2 overtime games and not being able to get one in last seconds- other than that it’s been pretty much 4 years of continuous clocks-but the Lions do have some good football players this year, mostly juniors and sophomores - that is why the 1st 2 games were winnable. That is why the next 2 games are winnable, at least on paper.
The point is the OOC games are a lot weaker then then most league games that’s why they should find a conference that fits them for football, football brings in the most money for any school I’ve ever seen.

The point is the OOC games are a lot weaker then then most league games that’s why they should find a conference that fits them for football, football brings in the most money for any school I’ve ever seen.

United and Sandy Valley will be big gates ($$$) when they are home games for the Lions. That isnt an issue. I agree with 1988... Marlington and Alliance have outgrown the league. If Minerva, CS, Salem, WB, and Carrollton could team up with the likes of Beaver, EL, or go west and lure Northwest, Tuslaw, Fairless, etc that would be best .

5 Teams are same size in the current EBC, 2 arent. Minerva competes in a lot of sports in the EBC, football is almost an outlier.

United and Sandy Valley will be big gates ($$$) when they are home games for the Lions. That isnt an issue. I agree with 1988... Marlington and Alliance have outgrown the league. If Minerva, CS, Salem, WB, and Carrollton could team up with the likes of Beaver, EL, or go west and lure Northwest, Tuslaw, Fairless, etc that would be best .

5 Teams are same size in the current EBC, 2 arent. Minerva competes in a lot of sports in the EBC, football is almost an outlier.
I meant schools bring on the most money through football rather then any other sport so they should go where they can get some football success

Not sure what Tuslaw & Fairless would bring. They had state champ in their league last year (Orrville) and were already rumbling about trying to vote them out during basketball season.

Minerva had some quality teams in other boys sports during the span of the 42 game losing streak. There is really no reason to leave the EBC. They just had some classes that didn’t have enough athletes for 4 fall sports over the last few years. Some of the best athletes in the school won the NBC golf titles in the last 2 years of its existence. Add some phenomenal athletes that played soccer and were very successful. We have a solid wrestling program, had some very good basketball teams, very good cross country and track teams and pretty good run in baseball under Rocky Bourquin. We happen to have 3 or 4 classes in row that never had a lot of football players or if they did, they quit or couldn’t stay eligible. They cycle may be changing with the junior class, hopefully they get some wins and excitement back in the program- the numbers will come it that happens.

I do think that Alliance and maybe Marlington should look to move but the others are fine,

As far as the game. I like Minerva’s chances this week and next week. They have to limit mistakes and finish games off when they have a lead. I will not predict wins or losses, but I think the Lions can be competitive in 5 or 6 of the remaining 8 games.

As far as the game. I like Minerva’s chances this week and next week. They have to limit mistakes and finish games off when they have a lead. I will not predict wins or losses, but I think the Lions can be competitive in 5 or 6 of the remaining 8 games.

Agree on all accounts Lions Guy! Cant assume they will win, but are encouraged that they can win. Its a different feeling in Lion Country than last year. There is belief and if they can, as you said, limit our mistakes and get a few stops on D, they will be in position the next 2 weeks and about half of the rest of the games

Minerva had some quality teams in other boys sports during the span of the 42 game losing streak. There is really no reason to leave the EBC. They just had some classes that didn’t have enough athletes for 4 fall sports over the last few years. Some of the best athletes in the school won the NBC golf titles in the last 2 years of its existence. Add some phenomenal athletes that played soccer and were very successful. We have a solid wrestling program, had some very good basketball teams, very good cross country and track teams and pretty good run in baseball under Rocky Bourquin. We happen to have 3 or 4 classes in row that never had a lot of football players or if they did, they quit or couldn’t stay eligible. They cycle may be changing with the junior class, hopefully they get some wins and excitement back in the program- the numbers will come it that happens.

I do think that Alliance and maybe Marlington should look to move but the others are fine,

and agree on most of these points as well Lions Guy... alliance and Marlington should be looking to move up to a different league.
Minerva has competed well in other sports. CC is fantastic, soccer has been at top of league until this year, golf won 2 nbc championships in last 3 seasons, girls basketball won 16 or so games last year, and according to pitman website/stats boys basketball went 16-8 in the NBC in its final 2 season (not including removed Louisville).

Football is king in most schools, so most posters are basing their decision on the losing streak. I wold love for the sake of the EBC to keep 5 smallest and add 3 more, removing Marlington and Alliance. I have to think those schools would better suit themselves playing bigger league competition.