Stephen Curry sponsors Howard's first D-I golf program after inquiry from student

hubman

surprised they never had a team. It's a historically mismanaged school though.
I believe they had a D 2 or D 3 team from the 50's to the early 70's. I believe the school is more historically underfunded than mismanaged, but neither has stopped it from producing outstanding trailblazers and alumni in all walks of life ( a few I'm related to)!!

I believe the school is more historically underfunded than mismanaged,

Any school as old as Howard has produced "trailblazers," but in Howard's case, they're strongly in entertainment and politics, which are personality cults. They're a numbers game. Relatively few in cream rising to the top areas of the sciences or business or even academia (from their own wiki).

As for "underfunded," it's a private school. They have relied heavily on the "HBCU" designation for corporate welfare as opposed to earned revenue. They attract a bright student because of their historical designation, then underserve them on the Administrative side. With proper leadership they wouldn't be referred to as a "Black Ivy." They'd be referred to as an "Ivy."

Over half a billion endowment to serve an enrollment of only 10,000. That's not "underfunded."

Over $40,000 per year to attend Howard. On average, for a family making poverty - $50,000 the net cost after schollies is $23,000. But if you make over $110,000 your net cost is only $17,000.

Howard and HBCUs in general were created to SERVE the disenfranchised. ?

The graft and mismanagement on the money side is public, similar to what almost doomed Central St but on a bigger scale. They have underachieved and rely more on their name than on performance.

Last edited:
I believe they had a D 2 or D 3 team from the 50's to the early 70's. I believe the school is more historically underfunded than mismanaged, but neither has stopped it from producing outstanding trailblazers and alumni in all walks of life ( a few I'm related to)!!

splitting hairs here but the designation D2 and D3 did not exist prior to the 1970s. Before 1973 these schools belong to what was simply referred to as the "College Division" of the NCAA.

Any school as old as Howard has produced "trailblazers," but in Howard's case, they're strongly in entertainment and politics, which are personality cults. They're a numbers game. Relatively few in cream rising to the top areas of the sciences or business or even academia (from their own wiki).

As for "underfunded," it's a private school. They have relied heavily on the "HBCU" designation for corporate welfare as opposed to earned revenue. They attract a bright student because of their historical designation, then underserve them on the Administrative side. With proper leadership they wouldn't be referred to as a "Black Ivy." They'd be referred to as an "Ivy."

Over half a billion endowment to serve an enrollment of only 10,000. That's not "underfunded."

Over $40,000 per year to attend Howard. On average, for a family making poverty - $50,000 the net cost after schollies is $23,000. But if you make over $110,000 your net cost is only $17,000.

Howard and HBCUs in general were created to SERVE the disenfranchised. ?

The graft and mismanagement on the money side is public, similar to what almost doomed Central St but on a bigger scale. They have underachieved and rely more on their name than on performance.

Granted it was chartered to educate freed slaves so of course it would have a social engineering bend, hence the large number of politically active alum, As most know their law school led the push to destroy separate but equal in the courts. As for the proliferation of so many outstanding entertainers, i don't know they are just cool like that. The wiki page probably didn’t do their Business and Science alum justice more so out of the fact that politicians and entertainers are easier to name and are more likely to be famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Howard_University_people

That being said HU has had a decent impact in other fields also

Over the last decade Howard University was the number one producer of Black Grads that went on to get STEM PH.D.s

Forty percent of the black dentists in this country are produced by two schools—Howard and Meharry.

Howard has probably produced more African American women surgeons than any other institution in this country.

First Black Woman Doctor to receive a patent for a medical invention (pioneer in Cataract surgery) Patricia Bath

First Black admitted to Johns Hopkins

2018 number 1 undergrad school in sending Black Applicants to Medical School

First Black to graduate Harvard Business school

Ed Welburn at one time the highest-ranking African-American in the global automobile industry

https://www.theverge.com/2016/4/7/11383754/gm-ed-welburn-global-design-retirement-michael-simcoe

Or Eddie Brown the Oracle of Apopka one of Wall Streets greatest untold stories

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoin...streets-greatest-untold-stories/#3ccf87ae60c0

Not too long ago they were the number one producer African American Generals in the United States Military.

I see you mentioned Central State, do you have a problem with Wilberforce also, I happen to be closely related to a couple of graduates of that school also, as I tell folks if there was no Wilberforce there would be no me.

As for funding when James Cheek took over as president he conducted a study comparing Howard to 11 Historically White College Universities (HWCU) with similar characteristics including having a teaching hospital and Howard was dead last in funding in every category even Federal funding even though Howard was created by Federal Charter and was the only one of the 12 schools actually authorized to receive federal funding.

https://www.thehistorymakers.org/biography/james-cheek-39

Of course funding at Howard isn’t the only HBCU to suffer this fate

https://diverseeducation.com/article/73463/

Funding at HBCUs Continues to be Separate and Unequal

As for cost
The smallest Ivy league endowment is at least 6 times as large as Howard’s. Case Western here in Cleveland has an endowment 2 times as large and cost almost $30,000 more a year. Housing at Howard will cost you about the same amount as it would at Akron U, even though the Dorms in DC are next door to homes with property values 7 or 8 times that of the homes near Akron U dorms.

I see you mentioned Central State, do you have a problem with Wilberforce also, I happen to be closely related to a couple of graduates of that school also, as I tell folks if there was no Wilberforce there would be no me.

I do not "have a problem" with Wilberforce or Central St or with Howard. I just mentioned some facts. And if I hadn't, this thread would have died after one post.

;)

I do not "have a problem" with Wilberforce or Central St or with Howard. I just mentioned some facts. And if I hadn't, this thread would have died after one post.

;)
Good because I am not really sure what my Wilberforce response would have been,,,,, :)

As for cost
The smallest Ivy league endowment is at least 6 times as large as Howard’s. Case Western here in Cleveland has an endowment 2 times as large and cost almost $30,000 more a year. Housing at Howard will cost you about the same amount as it would at Akron U, even though the Dorms in DC are next door to homes with property values 7 or 8 times that of the homes near Akron U dorms.

What? You're punishng those schools for having large endowments? That's private money. Not their fault Howard grads are cheap. Probably realized they were underserved and Admin was grafting money. No private college should expect to have federal funding. If Howard had weaned itselves off the pity our diversified poor black azzes deserving it historically, they would have put themselves in the position of getting it the old fashioned way; political pork.

At over half a BILLION, they are not "underfunded" for the size and the offerrings of the school and no way a family making over $110,000 should on average be paying less than a families making under $30,000. That's people handing money to friends and friends of friends. Place needs a house cleaning.

Went down to Central St about 20 years ago, first time. Really liked the layout, the wide promenade between sharp red brick buildings. Didn't know at the time the things were built shoddy and barely standing. HBCUs are open to incompetant leadership because the policitians don't have the balls to risk what opposition would bring, the racial accusations. Black political leadership is playing good'ol boy. Without the risk of economic closure, these schools will never rise to what they could be. The herd needs a little thinning.

At over half a BILLION, they are not "underfunded" for the size and the offerrings of the school and no way a family making over $110,000 should on average be paying less than a families making under $30,000. That's people handing money to friends and friends of friends. Place needs a house cleaning.

Those averages were more than likely driven by their Merit based scholarship system they use and not friends handing friends money. Up until maybe 2 or 3 years ago scholarships were strictly given out using the criteria below with small differences (Capstone didn't include room and Board, Founders didn't include Board). You and I both know the closer your family income is to 110,000 and over the closer you are going to be to meeting the criteria for the scholarships listed below. Which can definitely lead to the numbers you cite, if those higher income families are snatching up full rides based on "Merit".

Howard University

Presidential, Laureate, Founders, and, Capstone

Howard University offers a number of full ride scholarships. The difference between them is the amount offered in book waivers. Additionally, the Presidential scholarship gives a laptop to recipients. All of these scholarships cover tuition, fees, and room and board. They are automatic scholarships, meaning that all successful applicants to the university who meet the additional requirements will get the scholarships. However, they are available only on a first-come, first-serve basis, until funds run out, meaning that not all who are eligible will receive the scholarships.

Requirements:

Only the Critical Reading and Math sections of the SAT are considered.

Presidential- SAT of at least 1500 or ACT of at least 34. GPA of a least 3.75. Once enrolled, a 3.5 GPA must be maintained. Includes a $950 book voucher and laptop.

Laureate- National Achievement Finalist Scholars who designate Howard as their first choice. Must maintain a 3.3 GPA. Includes a $950 book voucher.

Founders- SAT between 1400 and 1499 or ACT between 32 and 33. GPA of at least 3.5. Must maintain a 3.3 GPA. Includes a $500 book voucher.

Capstone- SAT between 1300 and 1390 or ACT between 29 and 31 and a GPA of at least 3.25. Must maintain a 3.3 GPA.