Open Enrollment

effit

What is everyone’s thoughts on schools with open enrollment. And kids that transfer to power teams. I guess it happens in other sports across the state. But for us small D3 schools with a limited amount of kids to work with, it really makes it tough to compete against good teams that get better when a good runner from another town decides to transfer to the dark side.

What is everyone’s thoughts on schools with open enrollment. And kids that transfer to power teams. I guess it happens in other sports across the state. But for us small D3 schools with a limited amount of kids to work with, it really makes it tough to compete against good teams that get better when a good runner from another town decides to transfer to the dark side.

In the case of Fort Loramie, which school would be the "dark side"? Minster? Anna? Somewhere else?

What is everyone’s thoughts on schools with open enrollment. And kids that transfer to power teams.

Open enrollment transfers not that big of a deal now that OHSAA requires sitting out half of the following season(including tournament) at the new school.

^^^^Come on.......you know that if some kid is participating and living in some other school district....and they show up somewhere else as a freshman and actually didnt move its pretty much a trasnfer

^^^^Come on.......you know that if some kid is participating and living in some other school district....and they show up somewhere else as a freshman and actually didnt move its pretty much a trasnfer
The family of the 8th grader you're talking about is in the process of building house in the WLS school district. Her former school is having financial problems. Your original post said WLS has a "transfer girl" on its current varsity which is incorrect. I'm sure the WLS coach wouldn't mind having the 8th grader on her team right now. ;)

It's not fair to call someone a "transfer girl" when she never attended any other high school. People need to get over their hurt feelings. My kids' team could have won a state title with kids that lived in our district but went to other schools. We never cried about it or called them transfers. It's just the way it is.

Our area is composed of a bunch of small communities. There is typically a school district for each community and a student attends the same school for 12 years (i.e. – you go to school where you live). What I’m seeing is a talented kid from one community attend a different school in a different community primarily because they have a very good XC team. Simply adding one good runner to an already good XC team shifts the balance of power for D3 schools.
Maybe our AD should open a recruiting department if it doesn’t matter where you live and it’s just the way it is?

Our area is composed of a bunch of small communities. There is typically a school district for each community and a student attends the same school for 12 years (i.e. – you go to school where you live). What I’m seeing is a talented kid from one community attend a different school in a different community primarily because they have a very good XC team. Simply adding one good runner to an already good XC team shifts the balance of power for D3 schools.
Maybe our AD should open a recruiting department if it doesn’t matter where you live and it’s just the way it is?
Don't move to a city or pay any attention to other sports then, you'll be very disappointed. The OHSAA has rules about this but are leaning more now toward allowing players some freedom to attend school where they want to. The AD doesn't have to open a recruiting office (whatever) the students do all the recruiting.

If Woodridge hadn't lost kids to other schools, they could have won ...errrr...ummmm...uhhhh...

I can't imagine having my children make friends in a school and then send them somewhere else for HS for any reason. If the sports programs were not that good, I would expect me and my children to make them better. If academics were an issue, I'd expect myself to help make that better not only for my kids, but for every one else in the community. It's how I'm wired. Other people are different than me and my family. If for whatever reason someone doesn't want to be somewhere, then you are better off without them. you just work with the kids you have and make them as successful as you can make them.

At Medina High School we have the opposite of open enrollment. We allow students to transfer to adjoining school districts. However, we do not let students from adjoining districts to enroll in our district. We have lost a few wrestlers over the years to a nearby school system.

If Woodridge hadn't lost kids to other schools, they could have won ...errrr...ummmm...uhhhh...

I can't imagine having my children make friends in a school and then send them somewhere else for HS for any reason. If the sports programs were not that good, I would expect me and my children to make them better. If academics were an issue, I'd expect myself to help make that better not only for my kids, but for every one else in the community. It's how I'm wired. Other people are different than me and my family. If for whatever reason someone doesn't want to be somewhere, then you are better off without them. you just work with the kids you have and make them as successful as you can make them.
"Humility" Look it up. You are welcome.