Division II Poll Voting Discussion (2019 Preseason)

1. Hoban
2. Massillon Washington
3. Toledo Central Catholic
4. Avon
5. Anthony Wayne
6. Maple Heights
7. Winton Woods
8. Troy
9. Toledo St. Johns
10. Massillon Perry

1. Hoban
2. Toledo CC
3. Winton Woods
4. Avon
5. Massillon Perry
6. Anthony Wayne
7. Massillon
8. Maple Heights
9. Troy
10. Barberton

1. Hoban
2. Toledo CC
3. Winton Woods
4. Avon
5. Massillon Perry
6. Anthony Wayne
7. Massillon
8. Maple Heights
9. Troy
10. Barberton
I would love to see Barberton crack the top 10 this year. Very tough schedule this year with Massillon, Stow, Norton, Aurora and Highland.

1. Hoban
2. Massillon Washington
3. Toledo Central Catholic
4. Avon
5. Anthony Wayne
6. Maple Heights
7. Winton Woods
8. Troy
9. Barberton
10. Massillon Perry

I think Toledo Central Catholic will be down a little this year. They are good, to be sure. But they lost a ton. Toledo St. John's is probably the most likely winner of the TRAC. I think TCC could be as low as 6-4 this year. I hope not, being a CCHS alum. But I'm not feeling it this year.

It's interesting that anyone thinks R8 teams belong in the top 10 at all.

Troy is losing a once-in-a-decade athlete/RB and couldn't even make the regional final last year despite it being INCREDIBLY weak (and they didn't lose to WW either). List them as one of the top 10 teams is absolutely laughable. They won't be anywhere near as good as they were last year.

WW has a once-in-a-generation RB who is a one-man team, but the other 21 players and coaching are not worthy of any kind of exceptional praise. Listing them 7 or 8 as some ppl have done is probably appropriate. That said, they are going to absolutely cruise into the final 4 because R8 became an even bigger joke than it was last year with the way the region was re-drawn this year.

WW doesn't have to worry about any of the non-SWO schools they have so much trouble with, like the watered-down 5-5 Olentangy team that rung up over 600 yards on them last year, or a team like Dublin Scioto, who is going to be improved this year, until they make the final 4, so the season leading up to then is going to be an absolute laugher for them.

R7 is far more balanced with teams like AW, Scioto, SJJ there to at least provide SOME depth and challenge to TCC. Olentangy will likely continue their decline after graduating a ton of very talented offensive players and being diluted from the introduction of the 4th high school, I would watch out for that 4th High School, Olentangy Berlin, who has their entire team back (no senior class 1st year) and has a QB that should throw for 3,000 yards this year (unless it rains 6 games out of 10 like it did last year) and a fireplug running back who benches 385 and missed the second half of the season last year with an ankle injury. They have some mediocre D1 teams on their schedule and could qualify for the playoffs simply based on superior point potential.

I would watch out for that 4th High School, Olentangy Berlin, who has their entire team back (no senior class 1st year) and has a QB that should throw for 3,000 yards this year (unless it rains 6 games out of 10 like it did last year) and a fireplug running back who benches 385 and missed the second half of the season last year with an ankle injury. They have some mediocre D1 teams on their schedule and could qualify for the playoffs simply based on superior point potential.
And with Mark Nori at the helm, it’s definitely possible the Bears will be a huge improvement this year.

1.Hoban
2. Massillon
3. WW
4. Avon
5. Perry
6. Barberton
7. Wadsworth
8. Maple Heights
9. Anthony Wayne
10. Hoover

Interesting. Seems I should pay more attention.

That said, it's interesting that only Winton Woods listed from R8. :unsure:
This preseason Yappi poll has not been released. What you are looking it is one persons (chowe8857 whom is a new poster and maybe a Troy supporter) personal opinion poll. 23xTigers poll is probably about right.

I would look to try to throw LaSalle on my personal rankings based on 1. Playing in a good conference and playing a tough schedule. Only Hoban and Winton Woods has a tougher schedules than LaSalles. It will have the Lancers post season ready. 2. Having a healthy Jacob Siebert back. I think that young man is a heck of an athlete. Everyone knows him as a placekicker but he is a heck of a receiver too. IMO LaSalle should look at him at QB if he can throw at all.

But the Lancers have more questions than answers. 1. LaSalle happens to have the best QB in the city walking the halls, but he doesnt play because he is one of the top baseball players in the state, Devin Taylor. So that leaves LaSalle with a QB that didnt take a varsity snap last season. And karma has touched the LaSalle coaching staff because of how wrong they did Drew Nieman last season. 2. IMO the Lancers appear to have no running game at all returning. I dont know how the Lancers can have a Big Ten commit at RB and he only rushed for 362 yards all over the course of 9 games and he was completely healthy. He had 6 yards against Colerain, 30 against Moe and -2 against Elder. It might be more of an oline problem (my opinion is its a combination of things) but LaSalle better figure it out in two a days. Im talking old school, physical, Oklahoma drill, water withholding type of two a days. And finally LaSalle graduated every LB and every kid in the DL rotation except the LB Thieman. That is 9 out of 10 players that were contributors in the defensive front 7. I suspect the Lancers will move their two starting Safeties (Hildenbrand and Johnson) to linebackers and play Cam Porter and Tay Smith both ways. So more questions than answers.. And something for you to ponder Mickey Mantle.

This preseason Yappi poll has not been released. What you are looking it is one persons (chowe8857 whom is a new poster and maybe a Troy supporter) personal opinion poll. 23xTigers poll is probably about right.

I would look to try to throw LaSalle on my personal rankings based on 1. Playing in a good conference and playing a tough schedule. Only Hoban and Winton Woods has a tougher schedules than LaSalles. It will have the Lancers post season ready. 2. Having a healthy Jacob Siebert back. I think that young man is a heck of an athlete. Everyone knows him as a placekicker but he is a heck of a receiver too. IMO LaSalle should look at him at QB if he can throw at all.

But the Lancers have more questions than answers. 1. LaSalle happens to have the best QB in the city walking the halls, but he doesnt play because he is one of the top baseball players in the state, Devin Taylor. So that leaves LaSalle with a QB that didnt take a varsity snap last season. And karma has touched the LaSalle coaching staff because of how wrong they did Drew Nieman last season. 2. IMO the Lancers appear to have no running game at all returning. I dont know how the Lancers can have a Big Ten commit at RB and he only rushed for 362 yards all over the course of 9 games and he was completely healthy. He had 6 yards against Colerain, 30 against Moe and -2 against Elder. It might be more of an oline problem (my opinion is its a combination of things) but LaSalle better figure it out in two a days. Im talking old school, physical, Oklahoma drill, water withholding type of two a days. And finally LaSalle graduated every LB and every kid in the DL rotation except the LB Thieman. That is 9 out of 10 players that were contributors in the defensive front 7. I suspect the Lancers will move their two starting Safeties (Hildenbrand and Johnson) to linebackers and play Cam Porter and Tay Smith both ways. So more questions than answers.. And something for you to ponder Mickey Mantle.

I don't know much, but I've been told that LS is going to be just fine at QB and the offense is loaded. You're right about Seibert ... having him back at WR will be big. I think the OL will be better.

But I never have any idea myself about the team until I see them play.

It's interesting that anyone thinks R8 teams belong in the top 10 at all.

Troy is losing a once-in-a-decade athlete/RB and couldn't even make the regional final last year despite it being INCREDIBLY weak (and they didn't lose to WW either). List them as one of the top 10 teams is absolutely laughable. They won't be anywhere near as good as they were last year.

WW has a once-in-a-generation RB who is a one-man team, but the other 21 players and coaching are not worthy of any kind of exceptional praise. Listing them 7 or 8 as some ppl have done is probably appropriate. That said, they are going to absolutely cruise into the final 4 because R8 became an even bigger joke than it was last year with the way the region was re-drawn this year.

WW doesn't have to worry about any of the non-SWO schools they have so much trouble with, like the watered-down 5-5 Olentangy team that rung up over 600 yards on them last year, or a team like Dublin Scioto, who is going to be improved this year, until they make the final 4, so the season leading up to then is going to be an absolute laugher for them.

Well, where should I start? To say WW is a one man team is ludicrous. With a number of players verbally committed to D1 colleges, WW will be very good this year. Many weapons returning on offense and defense, will allow WW to compete and attempt to get back to the state semi's!

Yes, WW doesn't have to worry about the upper Northern Ohio teams but they do play one of the toughest schedules in the state. They play this type of schedule on a yearly basis. Check our the schedule on joeeitel Region 8. www.joeeitel.com

My Top 10
1. Hoban
2. La Salle
3. Winton Woods
4. Washington
5. Avon
6. Barberton
7. Wadsworth
8. Troy
9. Toledo Central Catholic
10. Harrison
HM: Perry, Maple Heights, Avon Lake, Toledo St. Johns Jesuit, Anthony Wayne

I know wadsworth is good but I don’t know anything about them I think lasalle is good to be dangerous if you want to know why go see my thread on 2019 La Salle Lancers that and the lancers would beat most teams in D2

Hard hitting defensive scrimmage yesterday between Hoban and Central Catholic.
Because of the nature of the calendar this year, and the fact that there is a 3rd scrimmage next week for almost everybody, I know that Hoban sat most of their starting offensive skill players. I'm guessing TCC did some of the same.

Troy has not looked good in preseason. They are not anywhere close to a top 10 team. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they have a transition year. Let’s not forget what all they lost. The only thing helping them out is they have a pretty weak schedule and might be favored in every game going into week 1

Well, where should I start? To say WW is a one man team is ludicrous. With a number of players verbally committed to D1 colleges, WW will be very good this year. Many weapons returning on offense and defense, will allow WW to compete and attempt to get back to the state semi's!

Yes, WW doesn't have to worry about the upper Northern Ohio teams but they do play one of the toughest schedules in the state. They play this type of schedule on a yearly basis. Check our the schedule on joeeitel Region 8. www.joeeitel.com

Im aware of how to find schedules, thanks. There are only 3 good games on that schedule, not sure what you are so proud of there. Moeller, LaSalle, UA, and Trotwood were all significantly poorer last year, with no indication that I'm aware of that they should be any better this year. You have lots of BIG NAME schools on that schedule, for sure, if we were playing this season 5 years ago maybe it would be impressive, but neatly managed to schedule several of these big name schools while they are way down.

There are teams all over Ohio that have 1 couple D1 athletes but can't gel as a team due to poor coaching, happens all over the place. If Rutgers is offering anyone in that secondary based on play last year, it has to 100% be due to future coaching potential as opposed to performance to date. Your defense was an absolute wreck last year, you played 2 5-5 public schools from the Columbus area (who don't have open enrollment) and gave up a combined 84 points and over 1000 yards.

You will see how good this team actually is when they play St Eds (but won't learn much prior). I'll reserve judgement until we actually see some games in the books this year, but suffice it to say, there needs to be a massive improvement across the board in many areas if WW is even going to remotely compete with them on the defensive side of the ball.