Eastern Buckeye Conference News, and Rumors

BensDad55

Any interesting news out of the EBC? How is the dog days of summer practices going? Early predicitions this season?

1. Marlington 6-4 (5-1)
  2. Alliance 7-3 (4-2)
  3. West Branch 5-5 (4-2)
  4. Carrollton 6-4 (4-2)
  5. Salem 4-6 (2-4)
  6. Canton South 2-8 (1-5)
  7. Minerva 1-9 (0-6)

I think that there are alot if things going on with the EBC both on the field and in the background:

My Predictions
1. Alliance is clearly the front runner for the league title, the questions are will being bumped up to D2 affect their ability to make the playoffs? Can anyone in the league knock off Alliance in the regular season, they are riding a 12 game winning streak in EBC play.
2. Marlington, lost three games last season to teams that had a combined winning percentage of nearly 80%. Big question is can Gulling maintain or improve on the foundation that Balderson put in place?
3. West Branch, closed the last two season with 3 and 4 straight losses, they have shown they can beat the weaker teams, but struggle when they play the better teams.
4. Salem, program has definitely made improvements over the past few few years, is there room for future growth, or have they peaked? Tough to explain three straight years of losses to Canton South
5. Carrolton,Mauro is out and Tsilimos is in as the HC for the Warriors. Hard to argue with Tsilimos background, winning a state title at Lisbon. Warriors seem to be stuck in that rut of winning 4 or 5 games a year, is there enough talent on hand for 65 year old coach to coach up?
6. Canton South, have been hearing good things about the talent on hand at South this year, but outside of Salem, they have only beaten 1 team with a winning record in the past 3 years. Could be a spoiler and snakebite someone this year.
7. Minerva, it's been 1747 days since the Lions last won a football game, they are riding a 40 game losing streak, gotta be tough for the kids and the Lions fans. Hundley is the new HC, he definitely has a nice resume, but the numbers for the program are still not good, but I hope they get a W this year.

The Elephant in the Room: What becomes of the EBC if or should I say when, Minerva and South depart the league? South has made no bones about it, that they would jump at the first chance. Minerva needs to be realistic, Im sure someone is already looking at a viable switch to another league that gives the Lions more opportunity. If this happens, do the eastern schools: Alliance, Marlington, West Branch and Salem stick together and look for additions, which might be tough to find. What happens to Carrolton, they are out on an island location wise if South and Minerva leave, is there a league that would even be an option based on location? Would the remaining schools, consider bringing back the old band and uniting with Louisville in a league.

Good Luck to all the teams and fans in EBC country

I think that there are alot if things going on with the EBC both on the field and in the background:

My Predictions
1. Alliance is clearly the front runner for the league title, the questions are will being bumped up to D2 affect their ability to make the playoffs? Can anyone in the league knock off Alliance in the regular season, they are riding a 12 game winning streak in EBC play.
2. Marlington, lost three games last season to teams that had a combined winning percentage of nearly 80%. Big question is can Gulling maintain or improve on the foundation that Balderson put in place?
3. West Branch, closed the last two season with 3 and 4 straight losses, they have shown they can beat the weaker teams, but struggle when they play the better teams.
4. Salem, program has definitely made improvements over the past few few years, is there room for future growth, or have they peaked? Tough to explain three straight years of losses to Canton South
5. Carrolton,Mauro is out and Tsilimos is in as the HC for the Warriors. Hard to argue with Tsilimos background, winning a state title at Lisbon. Warriors seem to be stuck in that rut of winning 4 or 5 games a year, is there enough talent on hand for 65 year old coach to coach up?
6. Canton South, have been hearing good things about the talent on hand at South this year, but outside of Salem, they have only beaten 1 team with a winning record in the past 3 years. Could be a spoiler and snakebite someone this year.
7. Minerva, it's been 1747 days since the Lions last won a football game, they are riding a 40 game losing streak, gotta be tough for the kids and the Lions fans. Hundley is the new HC, he definitely has a nice resume, but the numbers for the program are still not good, but I hope they get a W this year.

The Elephant in the Room: What becomes of the EBC if or should I say when, Minerva and South depart the league? South has made no bones about it, that they would jump at the first chance. Minerva needs to be realistic, Im sure someone is already looking at a viable switch to another league that gives the Lions more opportunity. If this happens, do the eastern schools: Alliance, Marlington, West Branch and Salem stick together and look for additions, which might be tough to find. What happens to Carrolton, they are out on an island location wise if South and Minerva leave, is there a league that would even be an option based on location? Would the remaining schools, consider bringing back the old band and uniting with Louisville in a league.

Interesting and a lot of great information. I also heard of possible teams not being happy in the league. I feel that if Minerva would part ways, I feel where ever they go Carrollton may be along for the ride. Long time rivals may stay together. Not sure where there best fit would be though. then I also read at one point that all the schools are happy with the league. Look out for Carrollton to make some runs in the future very strong underclassman classes, and actually have a large freshman group with great athletes! Things are looking up in Carrollton New School, New Coach, and some good classes! Overall I feel that the EBC can be a very competitive conference this season! Looking forward to August 30th!

I think the EBC comes down to week 10 when Alliance and Marlington square off. I like Marlington this year due to a very strong senior class. But week 10 is aways off. Both teams have to take care of business. Good luck to all the EBC squads, play hard and smart.

I’m hearing that marlington has added a big athletic weapon at wide receiver ...could be the breakaway threat the Dukes were lacking, someone to take the top off the defense...really looking forward to seeing how the EBC plays out this year...should be some battles

1. Marlington 6-4 (5-1)
  2. Alliance 7-3 (4-2)
  3. West Branch 5-5 (4-2)
  4. Carrollton 6-4 (4-2)
  5. Salem 4-6 (2-4)
  7. Minerva 1-9 (0-6)

Not trying to nitpick, but those league standings don't balance. In your scenario, there are a total of 20 league wins but 22 league losses. There should be 21 of each. Someone needs to trade a league loss for a win.

Not trying to nitpick, but those league standings don't balance. In your scenario, there are a total of 20 league wins but 22 league losses. There should be 21 of each. Someone needs to trade a league loss for a win.
Thank you for pointing that out
  1. Marlington 6-4 (5-1)
  2. Alliance 7-3 (5-1)
  3. West Branch 5-5 (4-2)
  4. Carrollton 6-4 (4-2)
  5. Salem 2-8 (2-4)
  7. Minerva 1-9 (0-6)

Can Minerva get one this year?
Can Alliance replace those they lost to graduation
Can Marlingtons Greiner and a strong senior class dethrone the Aviators
Does Carrollton play the tough teams tough and let some easy ones slip threw their fingers
Canton South rebound from a very disappointing season.
What's Salem have coming back
Will West Branch surprise some teams this year and get Mckeiver be a bigger part of the offense
I've said before I think it comes down to week 10 and Marlington makes it happen this year in a high scoring game.
What's your thoughts

Looking at the schedule there is no reason Salem doesn’t start 3-0, Crestview lost everything they are going to be horrible week 1

Thank you for pointing that out
  1. Marlington 6-4 (5-1)
  2. Alliance 7-3 (5-1)
  3. West Branch 5-5 (4-2)
  4. Carrollton 6-4 (4-2)
  5. Salem 2-8 (2-4)
  7. Minerva 1-9 (0-6)

Just so I get this right, you have the Dukes going 1-3 out of conference? No chance, they play Poland (potential L), Kent (W, new coach, and a defense that was gashed for nearly 400 points last year),New Phil (W, at Marlington, and Quakers will struggle this year) and Miami Trace (W, they have won a total of three games in the past two years....I have the Dukes at 8-2 this year

My Predictions

I disagree with you on the demise of the EBC, there is no league that will take Canton South, period! Same goes for Minerva, ask yourself where are they going to go? The schools in the EBC know that they all need each other because for the most part, there are no leagues available that are alternatives for them to go to if the EBC folds. The only school that could potentially leave is Salem, they do have some options if they choose to leave. As far as bringing Louisville back, zero percent chance that happens, both West Branch and Marlington would be NO votes!

Just so I get this right, you have the Dukes going 1-3 out of conference? No chance, they play Poland (potential L), Kent (W, new coach, and a defense that was gashed for nearly 400 points last year),New Phil (W, at Marlington, and Quakers will struggle this year) and Miami Trace (W, they have won a total of three games in the past two years....I have the Dukes at 8-2 this year
New philly will be pretty good actually, better then what poland brings back

I feel like NP or Dover would win the EBC the way Louisville did if they joined

NP has its ups and downs, but Dover always seems to be good 9 out 10 years. I think they would win the league most years. I think adding another D2 and D3 team would just make things harder for the Lions and Wildcats. I have heard zero chance of Dover ever getting into a league with West Branch again, either because of travel or because of the smashing of the cars. Minerva would be a good fit for teams like East Canton and Malvern.

NP has its ups and downs, but Dover always seems to be good 9 out 10 years. I think they would win the league most years. I think adding another D2 and D3 team would just make things harder for the Lions and Wildcats. I have heard zero chance of Dover ever getting into a league with West Branch again, either because of travel or because of the smashing of the cars. Minerva would be a good fit for teams like East Canton and Malvern.
Smashing of the cars?

Speaking of New Philly, would they and their neighbor Dover be a future fit for the EBC? The Twin Cities schools are in conference limbo.

Dover would just be another Louisville in every sport, it makes no sense to add them now. I never thought i would say this but perhaps it's time for Minerva, Carrollton and Canton South (and possibly Salem) to start looking for a new opportunity. It's highly unlikely that Minerva will be competitive with their 33 man rosters (including Freshmen) in the near future. Carrollton and South rarely put multiple successful seasons together and Salem may be in the same boat, although they have bee pretty good lately.

Not to sure, heard Chaney was to be pretty good this year .Had a lot of speed, size and numbers last night . I thought West Branch played them very well . That being said i don't know who or what they weren't showing ,but i know 3 of our real dudes were standing on the sidelines for 80% of the scrimmage and a lot of substitution were being made in our secondary .
SCORE 13-12 . WB didn't have their kicker ,soccer game .

Last edited:
Not to sure, heard Chaney was to be pretty good this year .Had a lot of speed, size and numbers last night . I thought West Branch played them very well . That being said i don't know who or what they weren't showing ,but i know 3 of our real dudes were standing on the sidelines for 80% of the scrimmage and a lot of substitution were being made in our secondary .

Sounds like WB is headed in the right direction.

Minerva really struggled with East Canton. East Canton has a really good football team and may be highly ranked this year, but they are a D7 team and probably wouldn't be favored in the EBC. This Lions have a lot of work to do to get ready for week 1.

Minerva really struggled with East Canton. East Canton has a really good football team and may be highly ranked this year, but they are a D7 team and probably wouldn't be favored in the EBC. This Lions have a lot of work to do to get ready for week 1.

Enrollment puts EC in D6 this year, but I caught your drift.

Enrollment puts EC in D6 this year, but I caught your drift.
[/QUOTE

there are a very good football team, but do compete in a conference with D2, D3 and D4 schools you need to hang with D6 or 7 schools. How did Canton South do against East Canton in their 1st scrimmage? Anyone know?