Best All-time Cincinnati Area Running Backs

OUcats82

The Cincinnati Enquirer recently released this list of their all-time greatest running backs from the Cincinnati area.

Who are Cincinnati's best all-time high school running backs?

I've given you the towpic, now talk amongst yourselves......

#1 Bainum? He carried the ball 40-50 times a game to rack up those numbers didn't he? Snow sat out the second half of most games. I'll take him.

1. Jason Bainum - Williamsburg
2. Carlos Snow - C.A.P.E.
3. Richard Hall - Wyoming
4. Shaun Alexander - Boone County
5. Marc Edwards - Norwood
6. David Montgomery - Mt. Healthy
7. Andre Barkley - Cincinnati Country Day
8. Donald Johnson - North College Hill
9. Casey McGinness - Covington Catholic
10. Jordan Scanlon - Clinton Massie

#1 Bainum? He carried the ball 40-50 times a game to rack up those numbers didn't he? Snow sat out the second half of most games. I'll take him.
Bainum was also a QB. But he may as well be a running back. He carried the ball pretty much all the time.

Not a traditional QB though. The article says "Wildcats coach Ken Osborne recognized that he had such a special talent in the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Bainum that he installed the single-wing offense to maximize his impact. It paid off as Bainum rushed for an astonishing 8,216 yards – the state career record when he graduated and still third all-time. Bainum’s 104 rushing touchdowns are tied with Snow for sixth all-time in the state. He also gained 100 or more yards rushing in 27 consecutive games, which ranks second all-time in Ohio.
Some observers might suggest that Bainum’s records are tainted because of the mostly smaller-school competition he faced, but he was the focal point of Williamsburg’s offense and every opposing defense knew it. Going 1-on-11 for most of each game is challenging on any level. He was prolific, durable and had tremendous stamina."
“Anyone who can play both sides of the ball, get a direct snap and carry the ball 40 times a game and still run the ball down the opponent’s throat carry after carry is superhuman,” former teammate and nominator Brandon Jacobs said

SWO/Cincinnati area fans,

Where do you personally feel Mister Simpson stands against that list?

Raveion Hargrove should be above most of these guys on the list. Rushed for 3,000 yards his sophomore year. 3x Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year. Not to mention he was only 5’6”
Isaiah Bowser was also a beast
Jeremy Larkin was no slouch either

SWO/Cincinnati area fans,

Where do you personally feel Mister Simpson stands against that list?

If you were compiling a list of Top 25 Cincinnati-area all time backs, I would maybe include him on a longer list like that.

He put up some good numbers in high school but was by no means the feature back for Colerain as no one really is in their style of offense. Was the fullback in their triple option attack. Plus during his time at Colerain they were rarely playing 4 quarter games unless it was against the GCL teams and maybe a handful of tight GMC games so he sat out a lot of second halves.

If you look him up on some of the CHS record lists he is in the top 10 for some single-season stats but there are several others ahead of him.

That being said he was a fine player and there have not been many Colerain running backs matriculate to the Big Ten since-if any?

Kelton Lindsay of Lebanon
PJ Pope of Wyoming
Deshawn Wynn of Reading

Three of the best during my high school years! PJ Pope and David Dupee filled in Richard Hall's spot pretty well!

Kelton Lindsay was a man among boys in most of those old FAVC games.

I believe there was a season where Wynn and Mike Daniels were in the same backfield for Lockland?

We faced both Pope and Hall.
Great backs but didn't take to kindly to the physicality and by the middle of the third were getting up and heading to the huddle V E R Y slowly.

Three of the best during my high school years! PJ Pope and David Dupee filled in Richard Hall's spot pretty well!

Kelton Lindsay was a man among boys in most of those old FAVC games.

I believe there was a season where Wynn and Mike Daniels were in the same backfield for Lockland?
Yea it was Daniels sophomore year and Wynn was a freshman. I believe Jason Krause was the head coach at Lockland that year too.

Lebanon also had Nick Singleton who was a year younger than Lindsay. Also speaking of the FAVC days, Wilmington also had a run of great backs. Marcus, Dennis and Desmond Nance and Marque Jones.

Carlos Snow/Cape
Jeff Cothran/Middletown
Mike Gayle/Princeton
Mike Hakrader/Fenwick
DWan Francisco/Moeller
Mark Edwards/Norwood

Banium shouldn't be on the list. If you take any above-average athlete and throw them in that offense (QB dive from the shotgun every play) against low level comp, they should get 200 yards/game in their sleep.