Weird stadiums

Here's a unique stadium in Union City, New Jersey that doubles as both a football and baseball stadium:

HSstadium.jpg

1421440691009Union_City_High_School_-_III-2_-_Prof._LR_Photos.jpg

unioncityhsbanner.jpg

What makes them so unique is that the stadium and field are on the roof of the school.

Did Trimble rebuild their stadium. I remember a couple years ago it was pretty much condemned.

Trimble is one of the only communities I've seen that truly shuts down on gameday.

45360644_10218445282942617_1031195555843276800_n.jpg

They put in bleachers last year. This year they are upgrading their lights and putting a crown in the field with better drainage.

Someone from Trimble has a helicopter so they used it to dry out the field before their week 11 playoff game

Edgewood in Ashtabula you can literally touch the scoreboard while walking to the away side. Sits about 6 ft off the ground

Edgewood in Ashtabula you can literally touch the scoreboard while walking to the away side. Sits about 6 ft off the ground

When Ashtabula Harbor was around they played in a stadium where the upstairs booth for the visiting team's coach was basically a crows nest on a light pole and there was no head set but an old school telephone used to talk to the sideline.

When Ashtabula Harbor was around they played in a stadium where the upstairs booth for the visiting team's coach was basically a crows nest on a light pole and there was no head set but an old school telephone used to talk to the sideline.

Ellet High School had the same setup every time Lake played up there....the thing would sway when the coaches were in it. Also when Carrollton played in the Carroll County fairgrounds, they put the opposing team's coaches on four boards nailed up in the fairgrounds canopy....had to walk out on a gang plank of one board and not hit your head on any of the beams. Halftime was underneath the grand stand and the chalk board was on a boat...they stored boats for the winter

Last edited:
could be in the river?

Harding Stadium is on top of the hill a few miles from the river. But it's very compact. The visitors side is right up against Union Cemetery, hence the nickname 'Death Valley'. The stands are also right up against the sidelines

Harding Stadium is on top of the hill a few miles from the river. But it's very compact. The visitors side is right up against Union Cemetery, hence the nickname 'Death Valley'. The stands are also right up against the sidelines

Also, the Big Red Faculty sit on the visitors side. From 40yd line to 40yd line is fenced off from rest of bleachers on that side, the Faculty have the best seats. I'm willing to guess no other stadium in Ohio have their Faculty sitting on visitors side of the field.

Ellet High School had the same setup every time Lake played up there....the thing would sway when the coaches were in it. Also when Carrollton played in the Carroll County fairgrounds, they put the opposing team's coaches on four boards nailed up in the fairgrounds canopy....had to walk out on a gang plank of one board and not hit your head on any of the beams. Halftime was underneath the grand stand and the chalk board was on a boat...they stored boats for the winter

The visitor side bleachers at Ellet has also seen better days.

Very Cool!!!

I've posted about this one before.

Bristol Municipal Stadium in Bristol, Tennessee. Home of the Tennessee Vikings. Also, at one time, home of Virginia HS located just across the border in Bristol, VA.

Stadium better known as "The Stone Castle".

Plaque:

Main entrance on north side / visitor side:

Visitor stands from the road, right at 50 yard line:

Southwest corner:

Southwest corner from inside:

From southwest corner to visitor stands:

Home/south stand from southwest corner:

50-yard-line on home side, and press box:

Northwest corner from inside:

East endzone from home stands, complete with band filing in:

Visitor side full of Dobyns-Bennett fans:

It's an amazing venue. And I'm not sure how it never got listed in one of those 'ten stadiums to see before you die' lists that MaxPreps kept putting out. For instance, I'd put this stadium on way before I put the Wolvarena on the list.

I think New castle Pa in similar, but not as elaborate?

Also, the Big Red Faculty sit on the visitors side. From 40yd line to 40yd line is fenced off from rest of bleachers on that side, the Faculty have the best seats. I'm willing to guess no other stadium in Ohio have their Faculty sitting on visitors side of the field.

Hmmm...I know some Big Red supporters sit on that side but in all my years going there 8-10 times a year, I can honestly say I have never noticed that the 40-40 is fenced off.

I think New castle Pa in similar, but not as elaborate?

New Castle's Taggart Stadium isn't enclosed like that.

All they have is some privacy banners up around the chain link fences to keep people watching from the street.

You might be thinking of another stadium.

Hmmm...I know some Big Red supporters sit on that side but in all my years going there 8-10 times a year, I can honestly say I have never noticed that the 40-40 is fenced off.

Well, the fence is there. It was up for the Buchtel playoff game last year because I sat on the visitors side. It's been fenced in for Faculty there since the early 80's at least.

Well, the fence is there. It was up for the Buchtel playoff game last year because I sat on the visitors side. It's been fenced in for Faculty there since the early 80's at least.

I'll say it again..."Is there ANY high school stadium in Ohio that reserves the best seating of visiting bleachers for the home teams' Faculty?"...I'll wait.

Last edited:
I'll say it again..."Is there ANY high school stadium in Ohio that reserves the best seating of visiting bleachers for the home teams' Faculty?"...I'll wait.

I will say, unless its Dover, New Philly or Massillon (which hasnt happened in a while) the amount of actual visitors at the games is sparse. I have sat on the home side 20 yard line for years

Massillon has sold the best seats on the visitors side to season ticket holders for 50 years. I am sure a couple teachers sit there.

Massillon has sold the best seats on the visitors side to season ticket holders for 50 years. I am sure a couple teachers sit there.

the polo grounds in new York was the strangest stadium. hyzdu would have 360 yards against a bad team there. could you imagine playing there?

if you have a bad lb core like Massillon circa 1987 to 1989 they keep scoring. at least in the orange bowl in Miami you had the palm trees in backround on nfl film. watching a bad lb core in 1989 against iggy is different.

You are right

I was corrected by some people who said it has been that way. I have never actually sat over there and thought you were making it up

Apologies

Years ago when ursuline traveled to Steubenville with Akise Teague, and the rest of that loaded team the ursuline fans were told to sit in the corner in a small spot, they went onto destroy big red, I thought it was odd how they made the fans sit in such a small area

I am sure there are a few more, but Massillon and WGH were the two stadiums I've been to that reserved the 50 yardline prime seats on the Visitor side for their home fans. It ended up splitting the visiting fans into 2 parts, perhaps that was part of the strategy.

I'd say having the problem of having so many fans that you have to move them to other side is a problem other schools would love to have.

Years ago when ursuline traveled to Steubenville with Akise Teague, and the rest of that loaded team the ursuline fans were told to sit in the corner in a small spot, they went onto destroy big red, I thought it was odd how they made the fans sit in such a small area

That's the first time I've ever heard of a school's fans being told where to sit at the high school level. Most naturally gravitate to the visitor's side/section but I've been to games with friends of the opponent and we sat together wearing our respective colors on both sides.