Division III State Final 4

bsee54321

24-4 Cincinnati Purcell vs 26-2 Harvest Prep
19-8 Lutheran East vs 24-3 Oregon Cardinal Stritch

Thursday afternoon games. Harvest Prep faces another tough draw as they did last year in losing to Africentric in the State Semi-Finals. Cincinnati Purcell comes from the GCL with fellow member Moeller playing in Division I. Lutheran East returns for the 3rd straight year to the Final 4. Oregon Cardinal Stritch is the new kid on the block and hope they can win the State Championship because they knocked out the team I follow.

Should be some small crowds if Lutheran East is any indication. At Canton Fieldhouse there might have been 150 total fans and very few students. Wonder if the other 3 have followings. OHSAA looks to lose $ on this division.

Cardinal Stritch will have nice numbers for the size of the school. All in all it probably will be low numbers just for the fact that most of schools shouldn't even be D3 anyway only because of competitive balance and they're small private schools with not a lot of tradition or history.

Cardinal Stritch will have nice numbers for the size of the school. All in all it probably will be low numbers just for the fact that most of schools shouldn't even be D3 anyway only because of competitive balance and they're small private schools with not a lot of tradition or history.

Purcell doesn't have a lot of tradition or history? :confused:

Don't entertain this dude, he is obviously being general and has no clue of what he speaks of.

Guess I personally named Purcell right? Plus Purcell last went in 2000. Other than that 1985. Its not like they're VASJ or something. Also Stritch have they ever been to States? Ahh No. HP has been to states several times but their history is not that long. Lutheran East had a state given to them and a D4 championship but following is not strong. So to say I don't know anything is to say you don't know me. I have seen all these teams play this year and in years past.

Once again another all star team tourney. Basketball tournament is all about who you recruit. We need a separate private school and a separate public school tourney.

Once again another all star team tourney. Basketball tournament is all about who you recruit. We need a separate private school and a separate public school tourney.

No its about the best basketball teams. Public schools will win 2 of the 4 state tourneys. They gave the public schools and rural schools a chance with competitive balance and transfer rule but still the best teams show up. Ask all of the D3 schools who should be D4 probably and SVSTM in D1.

You'd not accomplish much, particularly now with the lower divisions getting into the game. Stritch best I can see it was a coach looking for a place to put a team. If Stritch hadn't accomodated, some public would have. :shrug: I'm sure there's someone on this board could fill in the details, though I think there'd be some bias but perhaps also some correction.

It's about the best teams that can be recruited . The same private schools year after year are advancing. Makes the tournament boring when you know who is going to win before the teams even suit up. You need Cinderella teams like you get in the ncaa tourney to get the general public interested.

I'm always amazed at how the only African Americans at Catholic schools are good basketball players?

CB has made D-3 a very difficult division for public schools. HP, LE, and Stritch would all be D -4 I believe if it was not for CB.

Thank God they are not playing D4 then.

CB was designed with football in mind and it has worked very well. They probably need to tweak basketball to some degree just because unlike football 2-3 kids in basketball can make an extreme difference.

I could make a strong argument that all four D3 semi finalists should be playing DI. How you justify putting them there as opposed to another school with less talent but just as many out of district kids? That is the hard part.

I'm always amazed at how the only African Americans at Catholic schools are good basketball players?

This isn’t even close when pertaining to Purcell. They are 50/50 as far as white to black. Also this whole team started at Purcell as freshmen except 1 player sat out the first half of his season last year. So stop pigeon holing schools when you have no idea what you are talking about.

C’mon—some of the AA student athletes there play football & run track ?

Definitely true at a couple of the Northeast Ohio parochial Sports powerhouses

This isn’t even close when pertaining to Purcell. They are 50/50 as far as white to black. Also this whole team started at Purcell as freshmen except 1 player sat out the first half of his season last year. So stop pigeon holing schools when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry..I was kind of talking about Stritch...but of course there are many others. The student census doesn't quite relate to what is on the basketball floor.

I picked 3 out of this final four in division III. The team I did not pick may win it. The Oregon Cardinal Stritch team has a kid going to Michigan and they may win it. Harvest Prep is the clear favorite but Purcell could pull the upset. Cleve. Lutheran East has been here before and could win it.

I picked 3 out of this final four in division III. The team I did not pick may win it. The Oregon Cardinal Stritch team has a kid going to Michigan and they may win it. Harvest Prep is the clear favorite but Purcell could pull the upset. Cleve. Lutheran East has been here before and could win it.

You are thinking Maumee Valley and Zeb Jackson going to Michigan.

Same league wrong team. Stritch beat Maumee Valley by a large margin both games.

Y'all are killing me calling it "States." There's Sectionals, Districts, Regionals. But only ONE STATE. It's STATE. Alright that's all goodbye.

So instead of taking away from all the hard work these kids and coaches have done to get here let’s talk about actual basketball. Who do you guys have to win this thing ?
Harvest prep vs Purcell is a awesome match up. Both super athletic, both can play fast paced. Prep loves to fire it and Purcell plays serious D. Purcell gets the size advantage but prep has the state expirence. Should be a great game
Lutheran East vs Stritch also a good match up. Good size and athleticism for Lutheran. Advantage might be Stritch being more experienced with Lutheran east being very young. Tomorrow will be fun

Should be some small crowds if Lutheran East is any indication. At Canton Fieldhouse there might have been 150 total fans and very few students. Wonder if the other 3 have followings. OHSAA looks to lose $ on this division.

Willing to bet the 4 schools don't bring 1000 total

Throw in SVSM, Trotwood, South, Buchtel and Richmond Heights and 9 of the 16 teams playing this weekend likely won't crack 300 fans

Stritch sold 150 student tickets in a school with 180 students and over 600 general admission. So that is a good start toward the 1,000.