UCF and making the playoff.

I still don't buy that one more game will break these kids. If high school kids, D3 players, D2 players, and FCS players can play 15 then FBS players can play 16.

But then the question becomes do those first round guys start leaving their teams towards the end of the year to stay healthy for the draft? If college sports are truly about the student athletes, an extended playoff is counterproductive. Now we know college sports are not all for the student athletes, instead are money cows. In this case they make more money not expanding the playoffs and they can argue rather convincingly its in the student athletes best interest as well.

Most schools are finished with exams the first or second week in December - have those Quarterfinal games during the 2nd weekend and you'd have 2 weeks to prepare for the Semifinals. The losers of the Quarterfinals matchup in the leftover New Years 6 Bowls - two for Semifinals, two for Consolation, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl.

Spit the bit when matched with a quality opponent. No passing game

40-32 is "spit the bit?" With their second string QB? And out scored LSU in the 4th, which if I understand the term, hardly constitutes spit the bit.

I think they made a very good case for what they were before their QB went down and they're certainly quality even now.

I wonder what they could have done with Milton at QB in this game. I periodically watched this game, and it seemed to me that the backup missed a few crucial throws that Milton would not have likely missed on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

40-32 is "spit the bit?" With their second string QB? And out scored LSU in the 4th, which if I understand the term, hardly constitutes spit the bit.

I think they made a very good case for what they were before their QB went down and they're certainly quality even now.

East, the final score was very misleading as to how completely LSU dominated UCF. After falling behind 14 - 3 LSU outscored UCF 37 - 10 before UCF got their last TD. The Tigers kept shooting themselves in the foot with several 1st & goals that turned into FG's.

While stats aren't everything they were pretty eye opening for this game:

Total Yards: LSU = 555 UCF = 250

First Downs: LSU = 32 UCF = 17

Time of Possession: LSU = 44:31 UCF = 15:29!

I wonder what they could have done with Milton at QB in this game. I periodically watched this game, and it seemed to me that the backup missed a few crucial throws that Milton would not have likely missed on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

To be fair the same could be said about the LSU defense which at one point was missing 9 starters with #6 serving a first half suspension.

My sense after watching the game was that if BOTH teams were fully stocked LSU wins going away.

East, the final score was very misleading as to how completely LSU dominated UCF....
While stats aren't everything they were pretty eye opening for this game:!

Ok, if team A DOMINATES the stats and team B wins by a point, guess what that means? Team B was better. ;)

Coaches call the game based upon the score, not the stat line.

Ok, if team A DOMINATES the stats and team B wins by a point, guess what that means? Team B was better. ;)

Coaches call the game based upon the score, not the stat line.

I get that but rightly or wrongly a team like UCF is being judged across a spectrum of criteria. For them to have a realistic shot at the playoffs they'll need to convince folks that they truly can play with the big boys week in and week out.

The most important stat of course is the score but when UCF loses by only 8 points a lot of folks are going to do what I think you did which is to look at the score and say "hell they played LSU tough". But did they? My answer would be that after watching the game from start to finish they did not.

Sure, I'm making an objective assessment here but UCF just didn't pass the eye test for me. And this is where the stats come in which clearly show that UCF was over matched. But let's say the game was tied 32 - 32 and LSU won it 40 - 32 by scoring a late TD. And in the game UCF had out gained LSU by 300 yards. Then you could say that despite the loss UCF more then held their own.

And I get they were missing their QB which hurt them but they also showed how many starting defenders were out for LSU and it more then made up for the loss of the UCF QB IMO.

Silly to think they were a top 4 team or had a shot last year. At 6 it is likely they were overrated very likely

Silly to think they were a top 4 team or had a shot last year. At 6 it is likely they were overrated very likely

Why ? Last year they went undefeated and def. Auburn who beat Bammy at the end of season. This year has no bearing on last year. UGA is going to lose to Texas does that mean UGA should have not been in the play offs last year.

LSU should be tough next year

I think they might be the best hope in the SEC to dethrone Bama. The Tigers were a young team this year, especially at WR & on the O-line. Burrow came in over the summer and had to learn an entirely new offensive scheme and try to mesh with inexperienced receivers. Next season will be completely different as Burrow will have a whole off season to mesh with the offense.

I think UCF should be taken seriously after that good showing vs LSU.

Granted, they had a few weeks to work in that new QB, but for them to lose the main guy and still come within an onside kick of having a chance to tie it late was pretty impressive.

Hoping they can reload at the QB spot and go undefeated again next year.

Here's all we need to know regarding if UCF deserved a playoff spot:

LSU offense scored 40 on the Knights.
LSU offense scored 0 on Alabama.

Here's all we need to know regarding the solidness of that logic.

UCF's offense scored 32 on LSU.
Ala's offense scored 29 on LSU.

:shrug:

If the P5 isn't going to give UCF OOC, then they're saying by their definition, UCF doesn't deserve a play-off spot, ever. Likewise, UCF should make a clear record of attempting to get those contests against top P5 schools.

Here's all we need to know regarding the solidness of that logic.

UCF's offense scored 32 on LSU.
Ala's offense scored 29 on LSU.

:shrug:

If the P5 isn't going to give UCF OOC, then they're saying by their definition, UCF doesn't deserve a play-off spot, ever. Likewise, UCF should make a clear record of attempting to get those contests against top P5 schools.
Actually they didn't. UCF had a pick-6 - so 25 points. Additionally the LSU defense was missing at least half their secondary - maybe the entire secondary by the end of the 1st Qtr due to the punch and targeting. UCF was playing without their QB, the backup wasn't the best passer. Wouldn't necessarily call that even, but had UCF made it to the Playoff, I'd expect a similar result as Notre Dame against either Clemson or Alabama.

Actually they didn't. UCF had a pick-6 - so 25 points. Additionally the LSU defense was missing at least half their secondary - maybe the entire secondary by the end of the 1st Qtr due to the punch and targeting. UCF was playing without their QB, the backup wasn't the best passer. Wouldn't necessarily call that even, but had UCF made it to the Playoff, I'd expect a similar result as Notre Dame against either Clemson or Alabama.

Stop it.

UCF scored 32 on LSU. It doesn't matter how it comes.

OSU tansfer Burrow showed that he was a pretty fair QB for LSU.

Better then fair arizonawildcat!

A good friend of mine is a BIG LSU fan and said that with the crop of QB's they had before Burrow arrived they would have been lucky to win 7 games this year including a nondescript mid December bowl named after a toilet cleaner. While Burrow didn't have Haskins like numbers he had a LOT less to work with at LSU - a LOT less.

On top of that when it's all said & done for the 2018 college football season LSU will have likely played the toughest schedule in the country. Combine that with LSU's clear lack of big time offensive play makers and an O-line devastated by graduation, injury and suspension and nobody could accuse Burrow of taking the easy way out.

Heck, Burrow's going to UC, where he probably would have starred and run up big numbers, would have been taking the easy way out. Going to LSU under the circumstances showed moxy IMO.

You're wasting your time, thavoice. ads is nothing but a P5 ELITIST!

:laugh: Safe enough to come out I guess now that it's nearly 10 days later. I'm not a Power 5 Elitist, but I am realistic. LSU didn't score against Bama. LSU put up 40 on UCF. Could you imagine the Knights against that Clemson DL? Or how about the Alabama offense against the Knight defense. They didn't belong this year, they had a case last year when they were a better team.

Max did you have the same 4 playoff teams as the committee? Curious to see the final rankings and how it all played out. Do you do a rankings post bowl season or just at the end of the regular season

First, UCF was not the same UCF that played before losing their QB.

Second , can't take a score from one game and apply it to another.

You actually could argue based on scores from the playoffs Alabama didn't belong either. I would bet if Alabama played Clemson ten times we viewed the only game with Clemson winning by such a margin.

I still believe UCF with their original QB deserved a shot. It turned out they were offensively challenged with the backup qb.

Max did you have the same 4 playoff teams as the committee? Curious to see the final rankings and how it all played out. Do you do a rankings post bowl season or just at the end of the regular season

Here's how it turned out:

s6pe1jA.png

Too many teams put forth a poor effort in bowl games for me to consider them for the rankings.