The 2018 Jaylon Smith Players Skipping Bowl Games List

Auggie

A good place to keep a running list on which players are skipping their team's Bowl Game to avoid injury oops... get ready for the 2019 NFL Draft.

- Nick Bosa: Actually skipped the majority of the season after getting injured.

- Ed Oliver: Basically announced last spring he was leaving early and he never really gave the 2018 season his full effort. Got into a fight with his HC because of it.

- Rashan Gary: Yet another with an injury that curtailed his 2018 season.

More to come...

Some new names to add:

- LSU cornerback Greedy Williams
- Iowa tight end Noah Fant
- Arizona State wide receiver N’Keal Harry
- NC State receiver Kelvin Harmon
- NC State linebacker Germaine Pratt+
- South Carolina receiver Deebo Samuel
- Oklahoma State running back Justice Hill.

Greedy Williams, Noah Fant, and N'Keal Harry are all considered the best players at their positions for the 2019 draft.

I don’t like them sitting out.
I don’t think I would sit out.
I know I’ll never have to make that decision.
I support their decisions.

The Bowl game culture/economy focused on certain dates is what is holding back playoff expansion. Preserving it is a significant "political consideration" for NCAA leadership.

These kids bailing on the lesser games may hasten the transition to an expanded playoff format.

The Bowl game culture/economy focused on certain dates is what is holding back playoff expansion. Preserving it is a significant "political consideration" for NCAA leadership.

These kids bailing on the lesser games may hasten the transition to an expanded playoff format.

Nah.

$$ will be the top 10 reasons why it gets expanded

I don't blame the kids one bit, if you're not in the playoffs what's the purpose?
We don't have potentially million dollar futures on the line.

A couple more not listed above that are maybe not 1st rounders but still are going to blow off their team's lesser bowl game:

Minnesota offensive tackle Donnell Greene
South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel
West Virginia offensive tackle Yodny Cajuste

The tsun, ttun, Xichigan, M*chigan garbage is so incredibly lame

No it not!!!! It just adds to the fun and rivalry. OSU has beat them how many times in a row? If it was not for words the rivalry just might fade away because that team up north is having a hard time keeping up their end of the rivalry on the field.

Some more names to add>

- Stanford RB Bryce Love
- Michigan State CB Justin Layne
- Memphis RB Darrell Henderson

The only issue I’d have is if kids sat out the playoffs. Otherwise, I’d support their decision entirely. My (unrealistic) hope is this eliminates all of these stupid god dam Bowl Games.

Pretty much my feelings.

It will be interesting to see if schools start adding scholarship language that you must play if healthy? Something to that effect?

Currently watching Harbaugh's career go down the toilet. UM is spending way too much money for him to have a juvenile offense. Especially in today's game with so many talented offensive minds out there.

If any school did that they would get wrecked in recruiting....

If kids start sitting out the Playoffs, that’s an issue. Not crazy about kids missing NY6 Bowls, but who cares about the Camping or Pinstripe Bowl?

Plus, Will Grier has a family and I’m sure a lot of these other kids come from lower income backgrounds with parents that need help.

This is the main reason the bowl games should be done away with. If the stars that will make a good game are not going to play, than why go to the game? UM got smashed by Florida, but seeing how five guys with NFL potential didn't play, it's no wonder why they got killed. If I was a UM fan thinking about going to the game, I wouldn't go. I was shocked by the small WVU turnout until I found out that Will Grier didn't play. A playoff system needs to be created. There should probably be a change in the FBS FCS format. There should be an extended version of FCS that goes to 70 or 75 scholarships. Teams in the Sun Belt, MAC, and Conference USA should drop down to that level. FBS should then be able to put all of the champions in the playoffs plus some at large teams. The playoffs should be sixteen teams. The regular season should drop to eleven games. The bowl games will lose a lot of luster if the stars stop playing.

This is the main reason the bowl games should be done away with. If the stars that will make a good game are not going to play, than why go to the game? UM got smashed by Florida, but seeing how five guys with NFL potential didn't play, it's no wonder why they got killed. If I was a UM fan thinking about going to the game, I wouldn't go. I was shocked by the small WVU turnout until I found out that Will Grier didn't play. A playoff system needs to be created. There should probably be a change in the FBS FCS format. There should be an extended version of FCS that goes to 70 or 75 scholarships. Teams in the Sun Belt, MAC, and Conference USA should drop down to that level. FBS should then be able to put all of the champions in the playoffs plus some at large teams. The playoffs should be sixteen teams. The regular season should drop to eleven games. The bowl games will lose a lot of luster if the stars stop playing.
Already have.

I think this is the worst bowl season I have watched in my life in terms of match-ups, game times, etc... Could be just me.

If a kid is on full scholarship and quits, his scholarship is revoked. I understand many of these kids who are foregoing bowl games are done with school anyway but I could see language stating you owe X amount of dollars if you do not fulfill your obligation.

There's no obligation otherwise you're asking for 20+ years worth of money from players who left after their junior season

Ok, so to put some realistic perspective on this silliness. If you blow out a knee, it's what 9-12 months recovery, realistically?

So if you are a player who's "supposedly" a top 10- top 20 draft pick, why not just skip the whole flippin season?? I mean if you wreck your knee in July, you won't be able to be in the combine and work out for teams???

My point is this is absurd. These guys - at least most of them - starting playing sports because....(all together) they LOVE the sport. They didn't get paid or get a scholarship to play pee wee football, pop warner or high school.

It's ridiculous for these kids to sit bowl games. Yes, there is a risk of injury, but there is always a risk, and it's low. You've just spent 2-3 years with a group of guys who it's continually preached we're all in this together, and team, team, team, then you go out on a selfish note?? Are you kidding me??

And no, I've never had to make that decision, and I won't ever, but you'd have to drag me off the field to not play one more game with my teammates. This is a sad indication on the mindset of today's young people.

If kids start sitting out the Playoffs, that’s an issue. Not crazy about kids missing NY6 Bowls, but who cares about the Camping or Pinstripe Bowl?

Plus, Will Grier has a family and I’m sure a lot of these other kids come from lower income backgrounds with parents that need help.

Nobody cares about the bowl games, except the teams that play in them. Two huge plusses...

A. An extra month of practices. Those freshman, sophomores, juniors, through 4-5 years at the school get an extra 4 / 5 months of practice.
B. Recruiting. Bowl games are used to recruit and keep coaches jobs safe. If you are at most schools, and the qualify for a bowl game, even though there are so many, it's good for your future with that school.

Ok, so to put some realistic perspective on this silliness. If you blow out a knee, it's what 9-12 months recovery, realistically?

So if you are a player who's "supposedly" a top 10- top 20 draft pick, why not just skip the whole flippin season?? I mean if you wreck your knee in July, you won't be able to be in the combine and work out for teams???

My point is this is absurd. These guys - at least most of them - starting playing sports because....(all together) they LOVE the sport. They didn't get paid or get a scholarship to play pee wee football, pop warner or high school.

It's ridiculous for these kids to sit bowl games. Yes, there is a risk of injury, but there is always a risk, and it's low. You've just spent 2-3 years with a group of guys who it's continually preached we're all in this together, and team, team, team, then you go out on a selfish note?? Are you kidding me??

And no, I've never had to make that decision, and I won't ever, but you'd have to drag me off the field to not play one more game with my teammates. This is a sad indication on the mindset of today's young people.

This says all you need to know. It isn't your decision and you've never had to make one. What do you like to say on the Reds forum - it's easy saying spend money when it isn't yours? This isn't your potential money sitting on an NFL contract - how many millions is an acceptable amount to risk playing in a meaningless bowl game.

Nobody cares about the bowl games, except the teams that play in them. Two huge plusses...

A. An extra month of practices. Those freshman, sophomores, juniors, through 4-5 years at the school get an extra 4 / 5 months of practice.
B. Recruiting. Bowl games are used to recruit and keep coaches jobs safe. If you are at most schools, and the qualify for a bowl game, even though there are so many, it's good for your future with that school.
The bowl game results don't matter. I almost wonder if coaches not in NY6 Bowls don't mind when their stars don't come out for the bowl game - like Will Grier. WVU gets essentially an exhibition game to see what they have at QB against another Power 5 team. For the programs/coaches/returning players yes it is meaningful, but if you're not coming back those 4-5 weeks of practices and that game is unnecessary risk.

The bowl game results don't matter. I almost wonder if coaches not in NY6 Bowls don't mind when their stars don't come out for the bowl game - like Will Grier. WVU gets essentially an exhibition game to see what they have at QB against another Power 5 team. For the programs/coaches/returning players yes it is meaningful, but if you're not coming back those 4-5 weeks of practices and that game is unnecessary risk.

That is one fantastic point, especially for a position like QB. Most any positions it is easy to float guys in and out throughout the game and season but for a QB like this I believe it really helps the coaching staff.

Getting beat wont be held against them too much if the big time QB sits so yes, I concur, coaches privately likely don't mind it.

This is totally different, but still somewhat relevant.

Buddy of mine is in the police academy. We have an event at his part time job that can be dangerous but since it is on a weekend he said that he would like be there.

I talked to him about the risks/rewards of it and he changed his mind that this one event that can be dangerous even if you do everything right cannot trump what will be his livelihood so he is sitting it out.

Not the same, but not entirely different so I can sort of see the point of these guys