Urban to retire after Rose Bowl

End of an era. I’ll always remember the 24-0 start to his tenure and obviously the 2014 title run. As frustrating as they were to watch at times this season, they’re still a 12-1 team with a conference title. Could be a heck of a lot worse. Big shoes to feel for Ryan Day.

Tressel did fine with recruiting but it was not on the level of Meyer who got players from all over the country including So. Cal to play for the Buckeyes. Meyer recruited players who could compete with teams like Alabama, and the Clemson's of the College football world.

Not many understands this. You think Bama would be what they are if Saban left? NO WAY!

If Saban left I don't think they'd miss a beat if Dabo left Clemson to go back to Bama like I think he would.

I think Ryan Day will be fine. He basically gets Meyer's guys for a couple years as he tightens up his own game philosophy and recruiting strategy. If they continue to score a ton of points and put up huge numbers, he'll get guys from just about anywhere to play in his offense.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not many understands this. You think Bama would be what they are if Saban left? NO WAY!

Harbaugh recruits at the level of Tressel ( difference being Tressel got more out the talent he had ), Meyer recruits at the level of Saban and Swinney. I mean just look at the no. of OSU players starting in the NFL the Saints entire secondary is made up of ex Buckeyes.

Good trip down memory lane.

I remember watching the gator bowl 1977 I was 7. Woody punched the kid who picked off the pass. Woody gone. A legend 20+ year HC and the soul of the buckeyes. At that point Woody had not won a out right Mythic Title since 68.

In comes Bruce, he played for a title with in the first 3 years. 1980 Lost to UCS and Charles White (Browns drafted White but he could not stop snorting white lines).
After that what did Bruce do.... 8-3 most years and lost to Wisconsin almost every year it seems when Whisky was not near as good as of late.
Then comes COOP.... what great player he could get.. cant beat TTUN.

Tresses.. wins Title with COOP players as most would probably criticize. Then gets roll in two BCS games by dreaded SEC teams. Players sell their trophy’s and get free tattoos BAM your gone. But hey Tressel erased the disasters against TTUN from COOP.

There were 3 schools on his out clause at Utah. ND, OSU and Michigan. At Florida the clause was for ND and OSU. He had 1 of his 2 dream jobs. He left it. If I had to guess, he only returns for ND.

Surprised he had Florida listed when at Utah. What was his tie there or reasoning for that? Must have had "feelers" sent his way.

Did he have ND as a "no buyout" team while at OSU

Does he go back to ESPN after their former reporter McMurphy tried to railroad him?

Would be surprised if ND moved on from Kelly but I guess Meyer is one of 2 guys they might do it for.

If not ND, and he actually wants to coach again, I wouldn't be shocked of he goes to USC in 2020

Tressel did fine with recruiting but it was not on the level of Meyer who got players from all over the country including So. Cal to play for the Buckeyes. Meyer recruited players who could compete with teams like Alabama, and the Clemson's of the College football world.

Oh, I agree and he got guys who fit his system.

The point I was making was that OSU will not have a problem with recruiting because....its is Ohio State and I used Pryor as an example because there is no way in hell he went to OSU because of the style that best suited his play and skill set, he went because it was Ohio State (and JT promised the job and to hell with Todd B.)

Oh, I agree and he got guys who fit his system.

The point I was making was that OSU will not have a problem with recruiting because....its is Ohio State and I used Pryor as an example because there is no way in hell he went to OSU because of the style that best suited his play and skill set, he went because it was Ohio State (and JT promised the job and to hell with Todd B.)

I disagree their is a difference between recruiting players that are good enough to win a league title and winning national titles ( I know Tressel won a national title) Tressel did the former Meyer did the latter. Tressel was a good recruiter but not on the level of Meyer.

Will be interesting to see if Day sticks with Martell at QB or goes with Baldwin or Mathis. Another aspect of Meyer that completely gets overlooked is his ability to win whether he has a pro style QB at the helm or a read option QB. I remember when OSU hired Meyer critics were saying he never had a 1000 yd. running back, than before this season critics were saying Meyer could not coach pro style QB's fact is Meyer knows talent and uses that talent to the best of its ability.

They won the 2014 Title in spite of Meyer's influence on the offense.

Haskins wanted to be the Buckeye QB before Meyer had the job. Without Day, there's a chance Martell would have started.

Meyer is a great recruiter and leader/motivator. Let's not get confused about his talents, though.

Is there any chance that Haskins stays and foregoes the draft BECAUSE Ryan Day is getting the job ?

Haskins has wanted to be the Buckeye QB since he was 6 years old. Does he stay to contend for a National Title ?

I disagree their is a difference between recruiting players that are good enough to win a league title and winning national titles ( I know Tressel won a national title) Tressel did the former Meyer did the latter. Tressel was a good recruiter but not on the level of Meyer.

True, but it also takes a bit of balance. tOSU needs to be sure which in-state players are the best - and recruit them. Almost every good Ohio player who feels they were 'shunned' by tOSU ends up having a career game against them. But, if you don't recruit the best national talent you risk them going to one of the other elite teams.

When Urban's wife showed so much emotion after the M game I mentioned that I thought they had already decided this was his last year.
Urban obviously loves coaching. I hope he can find something he enjoys but doesn't produce all the stress.
Thanks - and good luck!

Haskins wanted to be the Buckeye QB before Meyer had the job. Without Day, there's a chance Martell would have started.

Meyer is a great recruiter and leader/motivator. Let's not get confused about his talents, though.

Haskins was at one time a Maryland commit, Meyer flipped him to the good guys.

With all the distractions Meyer had to go through this year it probably his best coaching job. LOL Gerry DiNardo says he is a friend of Meyer, after the way he and other BIG commentators roasted him during the ZS situation.

IMO would not be surprised if Gene Smith leaves OSU in the near future. Think the devil Mike Drake wants to put his own stamp on OSU and make OSU football as mediocre as possible.

I know all those 9 losses in 7 years.....not a very good coach...:shrug:

Author sounds like one of the biggest drama queens ever.

But if you're USC, Auburn, Florida State or any other major program, are you willing to sell your souls for championships, knowing full well the future collateral damage?

Sell your soul :laugh:

Yeah, OSU is truly disgraced. Will probably have difficulty even filling the Freshman class next year

He doesn't fly down to Florida in the middle of the season to make a deal with a backup freshman wide receiver who has three career catches. He travels to Florida to comfort a sick mother.

The kid and his mother have literally begged the media to stop running with this, since it was spread by his absentee father who, among other things, told the media that the woman has been faking cancer the whole time.

It's tough to think of anything Meyer could have possibly done that would be worse than exploiting a single mother's struggle with cancer for clicks.

He seems to have a bad locker room now (why else would star defensive end Nick Bosa not even hang around to support his teammates while recovering from a core injury

Christ :laugh:

If Penn State can bounce back from a child rape scandal, I don't know if anything could actually disgrace a program enough to kill it. It would take the SMU death penalty to cause the sort of damage that might hurt a program for 4 or 5 years.