Urban to retire after Rose Bowl

Michael Bluth

This deserves its own thread.

Ryan Day will take over as head coach on Jan 2.

Thank you for an incredible run Urban. Found this gem on ElevenWarriors:

VvMXEpt.gif

I wonder how much money Day will get.

Also will be to interesting to see where Matt Campbell goes. If the chatter about the NFL wanting Lincoln I wonder if he goes to OU

Hate to see him go. It really was something to lose Tressel and end up in better shape by getting Meyer. It will be interesting to see if this has any negative influence on recruiting.

Been said for MONTHS that he was going to be gone, just didn't believe it!

Wells, this one way to ensure the team wont overlook and be disinterested in the Rose Bowl, which I think I heard is being sponsored by the #metoo movement this year

From my post in the other thread, it sounds like Day is going to be keeping all of the off-field major organizational guys the same which is a huge positive IMO. Marrotti, Pantoni, etc. are major cogs in the recruiting and player development machine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Based on the limited sample size of being acting head coach, I can't say Day will be great, but I am confident he's not going 8-4/9-3 every year.

In the event he does well, I wouldn't be shocked if he's off to the NFL within a few years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You just made a prediction that Ohio State will one day lose three to four games, with no timetable. Congrats on such a bold statement

I said soon. Did not say 1 year between 2 to 100 years from now. Since I also said not in the next 2 year that soon would mean 4 or 5 years away.

A loss to Michigan is coming. Maybe not in the next 2 years, but it is coming.

Well........all good things come to an end.

However, the passing of the baton at OSU has usually been met with good results. I see no reason why that can't continue. The rest of the Big Ten will see this as a opportunity to beat up on the Buckeyes. I would say to them, "Don't hold your breath." ;)

Will be interesting to see how Day recruits. Do you think he recruits Ohio harder or goes more national like Urban.

In regards to UK they may not be getting as many players from the state if he recruits OH hard

Just like the were supposed to win this year at the Shoe?

I get it but one of the huge psychological barriers has been removed. In a game like this when you have 1 coach who had never lost and every time they played you had no answer on how to beat them. That gets stuck in the heads of everyone.

3 to 4 loss seasons coming soon. Maybe not in the next 2 years but it is coming.

After the man that called plays for a Heisman Finalist - a QB that out-performed the probable winner, who will win because the media has humped his leg all year - takes over ?

Day will be just fine. Defensive recruiting will need a boost, but they all know it. The Program will pick up the slack. No worries.

Thanks so much, Urban. It's been great.

Will be interesting to see how Day recruits. Do you think he recruits Ohio harder or goes more national like Urban.

In regards to UK they may not be getting as many players from the state if he recruits OH hard

To me that is the number 1 issue. Will Day be able to recruit like Meyer? I just dont think so.

I think he has to set the bar high. He has to go after the best.

Meyer is as good as it gets easily could have had 2 or 3 national titles at OSU, 15 team and his 1st OSU team which was undefeated. 82 - 9 overall ( 7 - 0 vs TTUN ) no way next coach will be as good who ever it is, Okie was just plain lucky with their hire. Would not be surprised if Meyer ( who is only 54 ) will be on the sideline again maybe a USC or FSU. Michael Drake can burn in hell.

I mentioned to my OSU buddy this weekend that with everything that's been reported about his health this season, it wouldn't shock me if news like this came out.

The (small) silver lining for OSU fans is that I think Urban has probably had some idea this was coming. Should help make it as smooth of a transition as possible.

I get it but one of the huge psychological barriers has been removed. In a game like this when you have 1 coach who had never lost and every time they played you had no answer on how to beat them. That gets stuck in the heads of everyone.

Michigan is 4-16 in the last 20 games against Ohio State, 1-14 in the last 15. Urban was only the coach for 7 of those games.

Meyer is as good as it gets easily could have had 2 or 3 national titles at OSU, 15 team and his 1st OSU team which was undefeated. 82 - 9 overall ( 7 - 0 vs TTUN ) no way next coach will be as good who ever it is, Okie was just plain lucky with their hire. Would not be surprised if Meyer ( who is only 54 ) will be on the sideline again maybe a USC or FSU. Michael Drake can burn in hell.

There were 3 schools on his out clause at Utah. ND, OSU and Michigan. At Florida the clause was for ND and OSU. He had 1 of his 2 dream jobs. He left it. If I had to guess, he only returns for ND.

To me that is the number 1 issue. Will Day be able to recruit like Meyer? I just dont think so.

When has OSU had issues in recruiting? Even during the Tressel scandal they were able to get/keep guys who then went 12-0 in Meyer's early season.

Even when Cooper couldn't beat Michigan he was getting great classes.

Hell, even Tressel and his infamous Tressel-Ball style of play was able to lure Pryor where he fit in like a square peg in a round hole.

They wont have any issues in recruiting. The coach who just ran the most prolific offense in the history of the school is taking the reigns.

Recruitment will be JUST FINE>

When has OSU had issues in recruiting? Even during the Tressel scandal they were able to get/keep guys who then went 12-0 in Meyer's early season.

Even when Cooper couldn't beat Michigan he was getting great classes.

Hell, even Tressel and his infamous Tressel-Ball style of play was able to lure Pryor where he fit in like a square peg in a round hole.

They wont have any issues in recruiting. The coach who just ran the most prolific offense in the history of the school is taking the reigns.

Recruitment will be JUST FINE>

Tressel did fine with recruiting but it was not on the level of Meyer who got players from all over the country including So. Cal to play for the Buckeyes. Meyer recruited players who could compete with teams like Alabama, and the Clemson's of the College football world.

Will be interesting to see if Day sticks with Martell at QB or goes with Baldwin or Mathis. Another aspect of Meyer that completely gets overlooked is his ability to win whether he has a pro style QB at the helm or a read option QB. I remember when OSU hired Meyer critics were saying he never had a 1000 yd. running back, than before this season critics were saying Meyer could not coach pro style QB's fact is Meyer knows talent and uses that talent to the best of its ability.