“A Radical Pitch to Save Baseball.”

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I'm sure everyone will love this idea...

The Wall Street Journal posted an article today entitled “A Radical Pitch to Save Baseball.”

To save you a click, the main takeaway is that in order to move the game along more quickly and try to avoid blowouts, they propose a change to the game that would remove one out per inning from a team when they take the lead. So when the score is tied, the game is played as normal. However, when one team takes the lead, they only get two outs per inning, instead of three.

Meaning that if there were two outs while the game was still tied (including 0-0) and then the batting team scored the go-ahead run, the inning would then be over. They describe this as a “Catch-Up” rule and they claim to have run the numbers for 100,000 games and it reportedly makes the games a “whopping” 24 minutes shorter on average.

Read more:
https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2...-eliminating-one-out-per-inning-save-baseball

I'm sure by "Save baseball" they are talking in terms of TV. When I am at a game, I love the pace of the play. Part of the charm of the game is that you can have conversations while the game is going on.

I have to admit though, that I rarely watch an entire nine inning game on TV any more. Too many commercials, including those annoying "in game" commercials, and it does move too slowly. Admittedly part of the problem is my Reds just haven't been in the race for several years, and listening to blowhard Thom Brennaman preach gets old also.

Two-out rule equals 24 minutes. Go to a one-out rule and they may be on to something.

Nothing sensible can be done to significantly shorten games. Doing away with all reviews would be most welcome, though.

I'm almost always doing something else when a game is on, for example, Yapping.

I don't know about all-you-all, but I'm probably hardly alone when I say I LOVE the pace of baseball. I've reconnected with the game this year in a way I could've hardly imagined a few short years ago.

With seemingly almost everything we do today as a society and every sport geared toward making things faster-timed-go-go-go all the time, I truly and completely appreciate the one major sport I get to watch that doesn't have a clock and has its own natural pace of play (I love golf too- but that's not the same thing).

Appreciate baseball for what it is and be glad for it, I say.

I never watch the clock when I'm watching the game. I honestly don't get the whole pace of play complaining.

Neither do I. When I attend games, even as a kid many moons ago, I felt cheated when it lasted less than three hours. I had it down to how long an inning would last and if they went fast I felt like I was not going to get the full experience.

But on TV.....yeah, the pace, more than the length, gets grueling to watch and that is what they are aiming at for the big money contracts they aer getting from providers.

This year in going to MiLB games and MLB games I feel a bit 'anxious' I guess when I look at the pitch and inning clock. Just doesn't seem or feel right and makes me even as a fan that it is being rushed.

iWith that said, any tinkering of the game itself like taking away outs is ridiculous.

A radical change that would speed up the pace of the game.

Once a batter gets in the box, he does not come out unless he fouls the ball off his foot, strikes out or hits the ball, period.

equip the pitcher with an ear piece or a tiny speaker clipped to the side of his cap, next to the ear. This will speed the game up alot because you now don't have the whole signal process. The NFL put speakers in quarterbacks helmets years ago, so the technology is there. The manger or pitching coach can just verbally state the pitch they want. No more signals to the catcher/ then to the pitcher with variances.