Would getting rid of the one-and-dones help make college basketball great again?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Would getting rid of the one-and-dones help make college basketball great again? Does college basketball need a similar type of rule that college baseball has?

Yappi, you seem rather uninformed on the topic, if I'm correct in assuming you mean go pro or stay 3 when you say "similar type of rule that college baseball has?" That's an MLB rule and would have to be an NBA rule. It is not a college baseball rule and college basketball could not enforce that, either.

College basketball is already great, so getting rid of one and dones would not make it great again. I am in favor of the NBA setting up a rule like the MLB does though. Even if it's just go pro or stay 2, as opposed to 3.

I'm not sure what incentive the NBA would have to change anything. In an ideal world, I would like them to adopt something like the college baseball rule. But that would require allowing straight to the pros from HS again which it doesn't seem they have any interest in.

For some reason i thought Silver wanted to end the one and done rule. I would think NBA teams like it so they can see them play in a system and get good tape on players. Still a crapshoot but i would think it is easier selecting college players as opposed to high school AAU ball

For some reason i thought Silver wanted to end the one and done rule. I would think NBA teams like it so they can see them play in a system and get good tape on players. Still a crapshoot but i would think it is easier selecting college players as opposed to high school AAU ball

I believe he does, but just requiring guys to stay 2 years. Which seems like an even worse idea.

I think the solution is allowing straight from HS guys, but if they choose to go to college then they need to stay 3 years. I'd also like the NCAA to throw in an exemption that even if a guy declared for the draft, if he wasn't selected in the 1st rd he could retain his eligibility.

That would mean all the elite guys who are more than capable of going straight from HS to the NBA could do so. But everyone else would actually have to have a "normal" college career.

I believe he does, but just requiring guys to stay 2 years. Which seems like an even worse idea.

I think the solution is allowing straight from HS guys, but if they choose to go to college then they need to stay 3 years. I'd also like the NCAA to throw in an exemption that even if a guy declared for the draft, if he wasn't selected in the 1st rd he could retain his eligibility.

That would mean all the elite guys who are more than capable of going straight from HS to the NBA could do so. But everyone else would actually have to have a "normal" college career.

This would be the best solution, IMO. The college game is but a shell of what it once was, and the NBA just doesn't have the time to really develop fundamentals as well as college, Euro-pro or G-league can. The very few straight from HS guys who would make the jump if this rule was enacted would be the very special players...or the guys who know they cannot handle college. The latter should be steered to the G-league and not waste time on an NBA roster.

All levels of basketball would be better as a result.

I doubt it happens, but I'd love to see it tweaked to where you could go straight from high school again, with college bound guys having three year commitments. It would take a lot of guess work out of scouting and the draft on the NBA side. For the college game, it would probably result in a greater spread of high-end talent across power five conference teams.

The con IMO would be that it would hamper parity in the sense of mid-majors and less glamorous power five schools being highly competitive. "Parity" in the current model exists with such schools having veteran experience and quality coaching as a counter balance to one and done players.

I'm not sure what incentive the NBA would have to change anything. In an ideal world, I would like them to adopt something like the college baseball rule. But that would require allowing straight to the pros from HS again which it doesn't seem they have any interest in.

this

With the progress of AAU basketball, college basketball has as much raw talent as ever before. The one and done i feel is a good rule for the NBA. Remember the days when we had a bunch of guys who went straight from high school to college. No one talks about it, but alot of those guys never made it, or never made it big.
Yes, you know the big names, Kobe, Darryl Dawkins, Tracy McGrady, LeBron...
But do you remember these guys?? Bill Willoughby, Al Harrington, Korleon Young, Jonathan Bender, Leon Smith, Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, DeSagna Diop, James Lang, Ndudi Ebi, Robert Swift, Josh Smith, Dorrell Wright, Martell Webster, Andrew Bynum, Andray Blatche..just to name a few.

I mean, do we really want guys like Caleb Swannigan, Miles Bridges, even a guy like Lonzo Ball coming right out of high school? Swannigan and Bridges would have surely came right in, and they clearly struggled early in their college careers.

I like the way things are in college basketball now, I'd like to see the baseball rule applied, but I just don't think you'll ever see that in basketball. The NBA is as young as it ever was. Call me old school, but I think as adults, we need to provide a safety net for these kids who just automatically think they are going to be NBA stars and have no backup plan.

A lot of the guys you mentioned played in the league for years. Andrew Bynum played in the league for 9 years, 400+ games and made $72M. Eddy Curry played over 8 years and made $70M. What a cautionary tale! Lol.

Swannigan and Bridges wouldn't have been drafted right out of high school so I'm not sure why he'd even mention them. Kwame Brown, one of the biggest busts of all time, still played 13 years and made $64 million. Give me $5million a year for 13 years and call me a bust, I'll sign up for that every day of the week. Andrew Bynum made an All Star and 2nd Team All NBA while being a major player for 2 title teams and part of a runner up team. Terrible example to use. Another post by 14Red where he's wrong on every front.

Josh Smith is still playing and made over $100M in his career. Too bad he doesn’t have that old school safety net 14red regrets not giving him. LOL

Swannigan and Bridges wouldn't have been drafted right out of high school so I'm not sure why he'd even mention them. Kwame Brown, one of the biggest busts of all time, still played 13 years and made $64 million. Give me $5million a year for 13 years and call me a bust, I'll sign up for that every day of the week. Andrew Bynum made an All Star and 2nd Team All NBA while being a major player for 2 title teams and part of a runner up team. Terrible example to use. Another post by 14Red where he's wrong on every front.

THEY think they would get drafted out of high school, and it only takes one goofy team to think that. Look at Lonzo and the Lakers.

I'm not looking at it from the money standpoint. Maybe Andrew Bynum becomes and all time great if he goes to college and matures instead of being a goofball. Part of the reason the straight out of high school and the one and done's don't work is because these guys are not able to be a professional basketball player yet. They immature millionaires and 3-4 years of college would allow them to grow up.

THEY think they would get drafted out of high school, and it only takes one goofy team to think that. Look at Lonzo and the Lakers.

I'm not looking at it from the money standpoint. Maybe Andrew Bynum becomes and all time great if he goes to college and matures instead of being a goofball. Part of the reason the straight out of high school and the one and done's don't work is because these guys are not able to be a professional basketball player yet. They immature millionaires and 3-4 years of college would allow them to grow up.

Please provide proof Caleb Swannigan and Miles Bridges thought they would be drafted out of high school.

The money standpoint is just as significant as any nutty aspect you are basing this off of. Maybe Andrew Bynum never makes a dollar in the NBA because he goes to college and tears his ACL every single year. Straight of high school and one and done's work pretty well, you're clearly watching a different NBA/college basketball than everyone else in the world.

Last edited:
Honestly, One and Done's have been great for college basketball. First, it ensures nearly all the best players in the game play one year of college basketball. Secondly, one I bet no one ever thought would happen, it has leveled the playing field and made college basketball much more competitive with numerous teams each year having a chance to win it all.

Honestly, One and Done's have been great for college basketball. First, it ensures nearly all the best players in the game play one year of college basketball. Secondly, one I bet no one ever thought would happen, it has leveled the playing field and made college basketball much more competitive with numerous teams each year having a chance to win it all.

There’s no doubt this is absolutely true. Also, at least one year in college gives the nba an opportunity to see a player play against upper level talent in meaningful game scenarios vs mopping up terrible high school talent and increasingly meaningless aau tournaments. Getting rid of 1-and-dones would be bad for the nba and the ncaa.

I think it would depend how many guys went straight from HS to the NBA. You'd lose all those guys playing in college at all, but everyone else would be required to play 3 years(under the proposed scenario.)

So you may lose one year of Bagley, Ayton, and Bamba. But maybe you then get 3 years of Sexton, Jaren Jackson, and Trae Young instead of just one.

I think it would depend how many guys went straight from HS to the NBA. You'd lose all those guys playing in college at all, but everyone else would be required to play 3 years(under the proposed scenario.)

So you may lose one year of Bagley, Ayton, and Bamba. But maybe you then get 3 years of Sexton, Jaren Jackson, and Trae Young instead of just one.

That rule seems punitive to the athlete.

More than likely you would see those fringe guys, who do not want to be stuck in college playing three years play in Europe or a development league. It will just not work, forcing guys to play three years.

If that is the direction this goes, you will see a larger G-League, or at least another NBA development league begin, with kids being signed to play in these leagues as opposed to college. I think even with the one and done, there is the potential that something is created similar to Europe, in terms of signing younger players earlier and having a developmental system.

After all, all those argueing for the three year rule, point to College Baseball, which the MLB has a much larger developmental system than the NBA has. The NBA virtually has Triple A basketball right now with the G-League, if they started an even lower league for Teens teams can draft and sign, then goodbye to any of the top 25 to 50 guys each class playing in College.

Agreed. I was coming at this strictly from a "how to make college basketball better that's somewhat realistic" standpoint.

I think the most likely thing is in a few years the NBA just goes back to allowing straight from HS guys, which from a fairness to the players perspective seems to absolutely be the right decision.

I think Cincy football guy brings up a good point. 3 mandatory years might drive guys away from the college game instead of staying in it.

I think Cincy football guy brings up a good point. 3 mandatory years might drive guys away from the college game instead of staying in it.

I believe that it would - especially if a year or two in the G League is an option.

There are few sports for which it would be simpler to create a "farm system" than basketball. Kind of a shock that it hasn't gone that way sooner. I guess that the universities have been so cooperative that there hasn't been a need.