Xavier Musketeers 2016-2017

What was Mack's salary at XU? I'd rather coach at Xavier than Louisville personally, but if salary difference was humongous it'd be tough to turn down (including assistant coach salaries as well)

$1.6ish million vs. $4 million. Apparently XU upped it to $3.2 million, but there's more to pay than the salary as Turpin pointed out. He'll likely get another $1 million a year.

What's the guarantee at both schools ? What is the buy out potential ?
Why did XU sit back and wait to offer more unless they were content with how well there business model has been working ?

Looks like both XU and Mack made good business decisions.

Re: assistant coach salaries, I recall reading an article awhile back about highest paid assistants in college basketball and Louisville had two of the top-10. I believe that only UK has been shelling out more for the rest of the staff the past few years than Louisville has.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think Xavier is looking at HTFF, Cronin, or Pitino as the next coach.:)

Seriously, though it looks like Steele is the most likely followed by others such as the assistant from Villanova, Brannen, Kelsey, and Matta has been mentioned but he is a long shot. Some fans are calling for Sean Miller to return but that is doubtful.

I think Xavier is looking at HTFF, Cronin, or Pitino as the next coach.:)

Seriously, though it looks like Steele is the most likely followed by others such as the assistant from Villanova, Brannen, Kelsey, and Matta has been mentioned but he is a long shot. Some fans are calling for Sean Miller to return but that is doubtful.

I’d say there’s almost no chance for Matta or Miller. I’d say the %s are:

Steele: 90%
Kelsey: 5%
Brannen: 5%

So if Steele gets the job who would be the next person in the system to be groomed for later ? With Mack taking a couple guys with him what does this do to the bench and to recruiting ? XU is a good gig now and you would think there are some good young outside candidates wanting to coach in the Big East.

Alford would be horrible. Given their recent history, I can't imagine Xavier would consider anyone other than Steele or Kelsey.

Yeah I'm surprised UCLA is still going with Alford. They might still be a blue-blood(maybe debatable), but they're far less relevant than the other ones(Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.), who are consistently in the Elite 8, Final 4, and National Championship. I think we've seen Alford's ceiling and UCLA will continue to slip with him.

Some posters on the Xavier forum claim that the Purdue head coach might be interested in the Xavier job. It looks like the grad transfer from Dartmouth who was supposed to be a pretty good player is not coming to Xavier now since Mack left. He was the leading rebounder in the Ivy League and the second leading scorer too.

Alford would be horrible. Given their recent history, I can't imagine Xavier would consider anyone other than Steele or Kelsey.

Yep. I would be shocked if X turned to anyone other than those 2. Both have been indoctrinated into the "Xavier way", which I think is a very important factor in understanding the role of the basketball program as part of the university as a whole.
Steele may have the edge as far as short-term factors go (returning players and current recruits). It's hard to turn down Kelsey's head coaching track record of success, though.

I feel for Xavier fans, and it's no surprise that Mack is gone. It's happened to that program so often. Guillen, Prosser, Miller now Mack. It's just unfortunate that a guy can get get comfortable somewhere, have the success that the X program has had, yet still feel the need to bolt at the next best job.

He has the potential to double his salary if he does well at U of L.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ract-details-louisville-basketball/467779002/

Here are the details of his contract .

From the article:

Mack will be paid $4 million in annual salary in a seven-year agreement. He will be due a $250,000 raise in 2021 and again in 2023, unless he guides the Cardinals to the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16 before those years. His buyout clause starts at $6 million before 2019 and decreases by $500,000 each year through the 2023-24 season.

Mack's contract could be extended to an eighth year if Louisville's basketball team is placed "on a postseason ban, or receives a scholarship reduction penalty resulting in the availability of fewer than 11 scholarships."

Mack's contract also includes bonuses that could add up to $475,000 in one season.

$25,000 for ACC coach of the year
$50,000 for national coach of the year
$50,000 for an ACC regular-season title
$50,000 for an ACC Tournament title
$50,000 for a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA Tournament
$50,000 for a Final Four appearance
$100,000 for a national title
$50,000 for his team earning a 3.0 grade-point average in the spring semester
$50,000 for his team attaining a 990 academic progress rate each academic year

This is all before any adidas bonus, radio deals, endorsements etc. Easily looking at an extra million on top of that. If he has success, U of L has already sjown they will pay over 7 million for a coach and big money for assistants.

Have seen people on twitter say he left for an extra million. Thats extremely short sighted.

I understand the dissapointment in him leaving for Xavier fans but it is hard to be upset at someone who is taking a job that sets up his grandkids. Being an alumni probably stinks but who is going to pass on an opportunity to potentislly double salary?

Another interesting thing about his contract is the 3.0 for the spring semester. No mention of fall semester.

It almost seems as if they are trying to influence him not to go after one and done players because they would inevitably affect the spring semester GPA. (Unless they drop out and it doesnt count for the team GPA) it would be interesting to see if players who leave early are accounted for in that. Pitino didnt really get a ton of one and done talent, and the last one he got screwed the university. Maybe they dont want to play that game anymore.

I feel for Xavier fans, and it's no surprise that Mack is gone. It's happened to that program so often. Guillen, Prosser, Miller now Mack. It's just unfortunate that a guy can get get comfortable somewhere, have the success that the X program has had, yet still feel the need to bolt at the next best job.

It’s more $ at a more prestigious program. The reality is Xavier will always be a stepping stone, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. You can still be an incredibly succesful program if you make intelligent hires.

The only possible scenario where a guy would stay despite achieving massive success is if Kelsey is hired. However, Steele is a better candidate at this point.

It's just unfortunate that a guy can get get comfortable somewhere, have the success that the X program has had, yet still feel the need to bolt at the next best job.

This is not even close to the next best job. This is an opportunity no sane perfect could pass up. The timing for Mack and Louisville is perfect for both.

This is not even close to the next best job. This is an opportunity no sane perfect could pass up. The timing for Mack and Louisville is perfect for both.

The risk / reward is off the charts though. He has a bad year or two at Xavier, he's ok and can keep coaching. He has a couple of bad years at Louiville, and he's gone.

Well worth any perceived risk at $4 million a year + incentives and endorsements with a buyout of up to $6 million on the back end if you washout.

A terrible run that looks like essentially being a caretaker through the worst of theoretical sanctions would be three years ($12 million base salary) and a $5.5 million buyout for a total of $17.5 million plus extras that probably run it above $20 million. His grandkids are set for life at that figure.

The risk / reward is off the charts though. He has a bad year or two at Xavier, he's ok and can keep coaching. He has a couple of bad years at Louiville, and he's gone.

Nonsense. If he manages to scrub the stench Pitiino left on the program
he can come back and buy the Cintas Center. Again this is no stepping stone job. He already has his reward in the bank. He can't lose in this situation. The question now is how much higher the reward will be.

Well worth any perceived risk at $4 million a year + incentives and endorsements with a buyout of up to $6 million on the back end if you washout.

A terrible run that looks like essentially being a caretaker through the worst of theoretical sanctions would be three years ($12 million base salary) and a $5.5 million buyout for a total of $17.5 million plus extras that probably run it above $20 million. His grandkids are set for life at that figure.

Exactly. He can't lose and Mama gets to go home for a while.

Mack has also said he wants to retire somewhat young for a coach, like 55/60, something like that. I did not think he would leave, but hard to pass up all that cash. I think he will do well there.

As for Xavier, I think Steele will be the next coach, and I see him staying a long time. You know, Mack was the HC for 9 seasons, that is pretty long. I am not sold on Kelsey, he has done somewhat well but only to the NCAAs once in six years.