Evidence of a coverup in the Comey/Russian/Clinton Email/Lynch investigations?

The abuse of power stemming from misuse of surveillance authority for political purposes is a grave danger. If indeed the FBI and DoJ are complicit in committing these crimes, many many people need to go to jail. This dwarfs Watergate by an immeasurable magnitude.

I tend to agree. These are old Soviet-type government dynamics. A monster at work.

Did Russia push any fake stories or was it releasing facts that were hidden from Americans that has you so upset? If Donald won because info was fake then that's a problem, but if he won because the voters were educated on Hillarys corruptness then "oh fking well".

Did Russia push any fake stories or was it releasing facts that were hidden from Americans that has you so upset? If Donald won because info was fake then that's a problem, but if he won because the voters were educated on Hillarys corruptness then "oh fking well".

Have you seen the facebook BS they pushed? The Russians will do their thing I am sad that people are not willing to educate themselves on the truth. We have an attack on facts. People believe Sandy Hook was a hoax, Obama was a muslim imposing sharia law, 911 was an inside job, the deep state is pushing a coup.... The bots want chaos and many people are useful idiots including Devin Nunes.

Timing.

To allow a buzz to build up, and then release them for max effect/deflection value.

I understand the importance of timing, but if they are waiting until Mueller delivers a knockout punch then it is far too late. I would think this is the perfect time to drop their bombshell and completely discredit Mueller and bury the Democrats after the shutdown of the government. If they decide to release this information after something more significant from Mueller and his team, they look like the kid who got caught punching his sibling telling his mom "well he hit me too!"

Additionally, if you allow a buzz to build and the report is nothing more than the suspicions of Nunes, which may not be corroborated by anyone else, that may be even worse! If this memo is as explosive as they are saying, the GOP has a small window to act and it is closing very quickly in my opinion.

Have you seen the facebook BS they pushed? The Russians will do their thing I am sad that people are not willing to educate themselves on the truth. We have an attack on facts. People believe Sandy Hook was a hoax, Obama was a muslim imposing sharia law, 911 was an inside job, the deep state is pushing a coup.... The bots want chaos and many people are useful idiots including Devin Nunes.

Without Russian involvement - there are people that believe John Kennedy is still being kept alive, that the Earth is flat, that the moon landing was faked, and that Hillary Clinton won the 2016 election. There are people that think artificially raising salaries can only lead to good things, that high taxes only hurt the people paying them, and that the only way people get wealthy is by screwing other people.

Many people ARE useful idiots.

No I didn't. What ad did they produce that wasn't true?

I don't do facebook either? I also watch more CNN than Fox but not a large amount of either. Personal experience dealing with certain government projects is what started my awakening around 20 years ago. Read much and I always tell the curious but uninformed like yourself to start with ( War is a Racket) by our nations greatest and one of the most decorated heros General Smedley Butler. The Creature from Jekyll Island is also a good starter to begin your awakening. These are old books and free of today's politics but more pertinent than ever.

Understand history and economics for big picture perspectives you can not get from social media. Then you can begin to participate in reality and freethinking perspectives...

I know right now your "Linus blanket" is Trump Russia collusion and telling yourself the 3 letter agencies are all good and would not harm our country intentionally.
If you are willing to begin you may soon find out your blanket is not what you think it is and does nothing to actually keep you safe.
These blankets liberally are handed out by wolves in disguise one thread at a time until they cover your eyes.

I posted this on the Trump thread but it belongs here to:

Here's an excellent review of where we stand on this as of today:

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...kuVkZ.facebook

And here's the million dollar question:

What happens when federal agencies accused of possible wrongdoing — also control the alleged evidence against them? What happens when they’re the ones in charge of who inside their agencies — or connected to them — ultimately gets investigated and possibly charged?

Those questions are moving to the forefront as the facts play out in the investigations into our intelligence agencies’ surveillance activities.

And here's the implications to answering this question:

There are two overarching issues.

First, there’s the alleged improper use of politically-funded opposition research to justify secret warrants to spy on U.S. citizens for political purposes.

Second, if corruption is ultimately identified at high levels in our intel agencies, it would necessitate a re-examination of every case and issue the officials touched over the past decade — or two — under administrations of both parties.

This is why I think the concerns transcend typical party politics.

It touches everybody. It’s potentially monumental.

Ditto from the other thread:

And the same article from the Hill also touches on why it isn't a simple thing for the republicans to just "release the damn memo".

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...kuVkZ.facebook

This week, the FBI said it was unfair for the House Intelligence Committee not to provide its memo outlining alleged FBI abuses.

The FBI’s complaint carries a note of irony considering that the agency has notoriously stonewalled Congress. Even when finally agreeing to provide requested documents, the Department of Justice uses the documents’ classified nature to severely restrict who can see them — even among members of Congress who possess the appropriate security clearance. Members who wish to view the documents must report to special locations during prescribed hours in the presence of Department of Justice minders who supervise them as they’re permitted to take handwritten notes only (you know, like the 1960s).

What most people don’t know is that the FBI and Department of Justice already know exactly what Congressional investigators have flagged in the documents they’ve reviewed, because three weeks ago the Senate Judiciary Committee sent its own summary memo to FBI Director Christopher Wray and Department of Justice Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. The committee also referred to the Department of Justice a recommendation for possible charges against the author of the political opposition research file, the so-called “Trump dossier”: Christopher Steele.

And this helps explain why the Congress won't unilaterally release the memo as it conflicts with restrictions on how the Senate might participate in such a release:

The head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Republican Charles Grassley co-authored the memo with fellow Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham. Grassley says it’s important for the public to see the unclassified portions of the memo. But unlike the House, which can release the memo on its own (and is taking steps to do so), Senate rules require permission from the Department of Justice — the possibly offending agency — approve or declassify the memo. And that’s reached a snag.

According to Grassley, the FBI is blocking the release of the unclassified sections of the Senate memo by falsely claiming that they contain classified information.

Gee, it almost looks like those claiming that the republicans should release the memo ASAP want them to screw up. As I've argued before: they must release the memo but they must follow the letter of the law in doing so.

I understand the importance of timing, but if they are waiting until Mueller delivers a knockout punch then it is far too late. I would think this is the perfect time to drop their bombshell and completely discredit Mueller and bury the Democrats after the shutdown of the government. If they decide to release this information after something more significant from Mueller and his team, they look like the kid who got caught punching his sibling telling his mom "well he hit me too!"

Additionally, if you allow a buzz to build and the report is nothing more than the suspicions of Nunes, which may not be corroborated by anyone else, that may be even worse! If this memo is as explosive as they are saying, the GOP has a small window to act and it is closing very quickly in my opinion.

They are working through a process that is designed to ensure that when they release the memo the discussion will stay focused on the contents of the memo and NOT on whether any classified information was released in the republicans rush to get the memo out.

Also, the memo will not contain a bomb shell rather I suspect it will strengthen the evidence that the FBI & Justice Department colluded with the Clinton campaign to first spy on Trump's campaign and then later to spy on his transition team. The transition spying may be the most serious thing as it was undertaken to gather information to weaken the Trump administration. The memo may cast light on how this was done and that the motivation was in part to protect the FBI and Justice Department from the consequences of their role in spying on the Trump campaign.

Either way, I suspect the memo will not be a Hollywood type smoking gun but rather will contain a summary of information that further casts suspicion on the activities of the Deep State, Obama Administration and the Clinton campaign. The memo IS NOT the be all, end all of this investigation it's just a step in the process of finding out what exactly happened here.

That's why you release the corroborating documents.

And you don't think there will be a fight over the classification of those documents? Especially from the FBI & Justice Department which are behaving more & more like a fox tasked to guard the hen house.

I suspect that EVERY piece of corroborating evidence will be declared classified and/or heavily redacted. This is the fundamental problem of institutions accused of wrongdoing investigating themselves.

You have something against hysterical speculation ?

Obviously not as a lot of people appear to approve of the appointment of a special council to investigate a sitting POTUS on the basis of evidence largely obtained from an opposing party's opposition research efforts and containing information gathered from British & Russian special agents!

They are working through a process that is designed to ensure that when they release the memo the discussion will stay focused on the contents of the memo and NOT on whether any classified information was released in the republicans rush to get the memo out.

Also, the memo will not contain a bomb shell rather I suspect it will strengthen the evidence that the FBI & Justice Department colluded with the Clinton campaign to first spy on Trump's campaign and then later to spy on his transition team. The transition spying may be the most serious thing as it was undertaken to gather information to weaken the Trump administration. The memo may cast light on how this was done and that the motivation was in part to protect the FBI and Justice Department from the consequences of their role in spying on the Trump campaign.

Either way, I suspect the memo will not be a Hollywood type smoking gun but rather will contain a summary of information that further casts suspicion on the activities of the Deep State, Obama Administration and the Clinton campaign. The memo IS NOT the be all, end all of this investigation it's just a step in the process of finding out what exactly happened here.

Not being a smart mouth here, but isn't it commonly accepted by most people that the FBI, CIA and other government agencies have done these things since their inception? I am not insinuating that it is wrong, but this wouldn't be a huge revelation to most people would it?

However, if this were to cast further suspicions on the above-mentioned administrations, it would be reasonable to assume that these methods were also used during other administrations, correct? Could this be a case where the GOP doesn't want this leaked out due to possible incrimination of their own party?

And you don't think there will be a fight over the classification of those documents? Especially from the FBI & Justice Department which are behaving more & more like a fox tasked to guard the hen house.

I suspect that EVERY piece of corroborating evidence will be declared classified and/or heavily redacted. This is the fundamental problem of institutions accused of wrongdoing investigating themselves.

The FBI & Justice Department have no say in the matter. Multiple Republicans are on record as saying nothing in the documents compromises national security. They must be released to corroborate the memo and there's no good reason not to.

Not being a smart mouth here, but isn't it commonly accepted by most people that the FBI, CIA and other government agencies have done these things since their inception? I am not insinuating that it is wrong, but this wouldn't be a huge revelation to most people would it?

However, if this were to cast further suspicions on the above-mentioned administrations, it would be reasonable to assume that these methods were also used during other administrations, correct? Could this be a case where the GOP doesn't want this leaked out due to possible incrimination of their own party?

I can only speak for myself and while I have no illusions of what the CIA & FBI have done over the years it would surprise me if they interfered in a presidential election to this extent and AT THIS TIME. By "time" I mean it's one thing to kill a campaign at the start if the agencies believed the guy running was a threat to the country. This is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" stuff. But to interfere AFTER the republican nomination and even worse to interfere AFTER the election as the new administration transitions into power would be unprecedented IMO.

It would also be deeply dangerous to our republic. I get we had to live through a J Edgar Hoover whose conduct raised questions but this appears to be on a whole different level. Every American should be worried about where the evidence is leading here. This transcends Trump and folks who despise the man are going to have to look past Trump and focus on the specifics of what these folks did and IMO are still trying to do. This nation can not survive a coup and it's hard not to look at what's going on and not conclude that this is some kind of crazy attempt to overturn the results of a fair election for the highest office in the land.

As to the Republicans not wanting this information to get out because of their own previous misdeeds? There may be a few but overall the republicans would not have the balls to do what it appears Obama did. As much as I've come to sour on the GW Bush presidency, I don't think he or his people would do anything this underhanded. They would see it as treason and most of them would never go there.

Give it time on the memo. It's not as simple to make it public as some folks are claiming. In fact, those urging an immediate release of the memo before it's gone through proper channels and that not releasing the memo ASAP is a sign that it doesn't really contain anything of importance, almost looks like a strategy to discredit the information before it's made public.

Aside from the horrific artwork on his wall and the fact that the guy needs to put a shirt on under his leather jacket what is it about what he said that you think is worthy of a cackling emoji?

As GR said this guy has some excellent insight into what's going on while at the same time some of the stuff he throws out is a bit wack-a-doodle but I can make up my own mind what is what. Even better he is entertaining in how he presents his opinion.

The FBI & Justice Department have no say in the matter. Multiple Republicans are on record as saying nothing in the documents compromises national security. They must be released to corroborate the memo and there's no good reason not to.

Are you living in la la land NEO. The Justice Department & FBI have fought the release of the information the comittee used to write the memo every step of the way. I'm sorry but I choose to believe Grassley here.

And just because multiple republicans say there is nothing in the documents that compromises national security, that is only their OPINION. The moment they are made public without going through the proper channels of release the FBI & Justice Department will claim that in their opinion the information discloses methods and the news media will jump all over this as a way to discredit the memo and avoid talking about it's contents. The debate will become about how the Republicans compromised national security and not about what the memo actually says about Obama spying on Trump.

I just don't get why some folks are demanding the memo be released ASAP. I don't see what's gained by doing that but I can see a lot of problems if it's done that way. Let the process play out.

The Justice Department & FBI have fought the release of the information the comittee used to write the memo every step of the way.

They have no say. The constitution pretty clearly outlines the President's authority here and the Supreme Court has already ruled on the matter.

http://bit.ly/2DyiROz

Further, it is illegal to abuse classified designations to hide evidence of official criminality. So not only can Trump declassify such evidence, you could argue he has a legal obligation to, if it contains the explosive evidence of criminality some have claimed.

Obviously not as a lot of people appear to approve of the appointment of a special council to investigate a sitting POTUS on the basis of evidence largely obtained from an opposing party's opposition research efforts and containing information gathered from British & Russian special agents!

And yet The Donald will endure. I can't wait to see how triggered these goofs will get in his second term, when he can run wide open

Are you living in la la land NEO. The Justice Department & FBI have fought the release of the information the comittee used to write the memo every step of the way. I'm sorry but I choose to believe Grassley here.

And just because multiple republicans say there is nothing in the documents that compromises national security, that is only their OPINION. The moment they are made public without going through the proper channels of release the FBI & Justice Department will claim that in their opinion the information discloses methods and the news media will jump all over this as a way to discredit the memo and avoid talking about it's contents. The debate will become about how the Republicans compromised national security and not about what the memo actually says about Obama spying on Trump.

I just don't get why some folks are demanding the memo be released ASAP. I don't see what's gained by doing that but I can see a lot of problems if it's done that way. Let the process play out.

"The committee" did not write the memo. It was written by Devin Nunes, also known as Trump's personal waterboy. In the spirit of LOTR misdirection:

He is accused of leaking secret testimony:
https://campaignforaccountability.o...r-nunes-for-leaking-confidential-information/

He had to recuse himself last year over ethics issues:
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...-nunes-recuses-self-from-russia-investigation

He then un-recused himself:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-un-recusal-of-devin-nunes/528882/

He won't share it with his Senate counterpart:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/politics/richard-burr-devin-nunes-fisa-memo/index.html

It would seem like most of this would be cleared up if Trump would declassify the FISA warrant that all the conspiracy theories are based on. Now I'll take a page out of the Republican playbook. Why won't he release the FISA warrant? I'm not saying it contains info that is very damaging to Trump (illegal activity) but if it did contain this info it would be devastating to Trump. This could potentially be one of the biggest frauds perpetrated by a presidential candidate ever. You might even say yuge.

This release the memo nonsense was started by GOP members on Twitter and was pushed by bots to get it trending. This is why I am confused as to the sudden change in gears.