Bearcats basketball 2017-2018

From the Bearcats twitter page, May 1st. Crazy to see it finally happening.

E1r7X7L.jpg

2odKvmb.jpg

Wonder where it will rank as far as best arenas in the country. Would have to think the Chum Center is still the bes

I'm also looking forward to going to games at NKU. Great facility that gets overlooked

Also seems like the women's team backed down and will play at St. Ursula after all. Laughed my arse off when they said they deserved to play at NKU

I haven't been this excited for a Bearcats team in quite a few years. The offensive talent they have is looking like the best ever for the Cronin era. I'm just curious if Mick lets them get out and run. The playing styles of Broome, Cumberland, Evans, and Clark would all benefit

PG: Broome
SG: Cumberland
SF: Evans
PF: Clark
C: Washington

I agree with that. More than any other Mick team has. I think Mick made an exception going with that style since Caupain still had an extremely low turnover ratio. Broome will almost certainly turn the ball over at a higher rate. So my post was more asking if Cronin will be okay with the risk/reward with Broome running the show

Per the AAC preseason coaches poll UC edged out Wichita State to win the conference.
1. UC (7) 116 points
2. Wichita State (5) 115 points
3. UCF 93 points
4. SMU 91 points
5. UConn 79 points
6. Houston 72 points
7. Temple 68 points
8. Tulsa 52 points
9. Memphis 36 points
10. Tulane 30 points
11. ECU 24 points
12. USF 16 points

The All AAC Team is made up entirely of guards, while Evans is the only guard on the 2nd team:
First Team
G Shake Milton, SMU
G Jalen Adams, UConn
G Rob Gray, Houston
G Landry Shamet, Wichita State
G B.J. Taylor, UCF

Second Team
F Gary Clark, Cincinnati
F Junior Etou, Tulsa
G/F Jacob Evans, Cincinnati
C Tacko Fall, UCF
F Kyle Washington, Cincinnati

Preseason POY:

G Shake Milton, SMU
Preseason ROY:
G Alterique Gilbert, UCONN

Per the AAC preseason coaches poll UC edged out Wichita State to win the conference.
1. UC (7) 116 points
2. Wichita State (5) 115 points
3. UCF 93 points
4. SMU 91 points
5. UConn 79 points
6. Houston 72 points
7. Temple 68 points
8. Tulsa 52 points
9. Memphis 36 points
10. Tulane 30 points
11. ECU 24 points
12. USF 16 points

The All AAC Team is made up entirely of guards, while Evans is the only guard on the 2nd team:
First Team
G Shake Milton, SMU
G Jalen Adams, UConn
G Rob Gray, Houston
G Landry Shamet, Wichita State
G B.J. Taylor, UCF

Second Team
F Gary Clark, Cincinnati
F Junior Etou, Tulsa
G/F Jacob Evans, Cincinnati
C Tacko Fall, UCF
F Kyle Washington, Cincinnati

Preseason POY:

G Shake Milton, SMU
Preseason ROY:
G Alterique Gilbert, UCONN

Looks pretty reasonable to me. I think Temple is underrated however. Really like their roster. Very balanced with playmakers at every position group.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If it were to go through it'll mean one of three things: 1) The Crosstown Shootout in cancelled and UC-XU only play once every three years; 2) UC-XU still play every year while OSU plays (I assume) UD every year; 3) UC-XU still play every year and while playing every third year in the Crossroads Classic. #3 seems least likely to me.

Don't Indiana-Purdue avoid each other due to Conference games? Why couldn't UC get Dayton or Ohio State in a given year, avoid the matchup against XU? Would Dayton really be that peeved that they don't get Ohio State in an event like that? If this is Holtman's idea and he plans on being at OSU awhile, he can always schedule a home/home with Dayton to appease them. Wouldn't even have to be every year, just rotate it. The obvious place to play these games would UD also, though I'm sure each city would want a rotation between Cincy, Dayton and Cbus.

Don't Indiana-Purdue avoid each other due to Conference games? Why couldn't UC get Dayton or Ohio State in a given year, avoid the matchup against XU? Would Dayton really be that peeved that they don't get Ohio State in an event like that? If this is Holtman's idea and he plans on being at OSU awhile, he can always schedule a home/home with Dayton to appease them. Wouldn't even have to be every year, just rotate it. The obvious place to play these games would UD also, though I'm sure each city would want a rotation between Cincy, Dayton and Cbus.

+1. Should work out fine

You'd think Dayton would be happy with any of those scenarios to bolster their OOC schedule every year

Yeah, UC and X just don’t play each other in this event.

Savannah St making life difficult for UC, up 20 at the half, up 7 with 11 minutes to go. Missing the normal Bearcat defense.
Broome can score, Williams too; but defense? uh oh

Decent crowd for a friday noon game. Northern Ky has a great arena

Savannah St making life difficult for UC, up 20 at the half, up 7 with 11 minutes to go. Missing the normal Bearcat defense.
Broome can score, Williams too; but defense? uh oh

Decent crowd for a friday noon game. Northern Ky has a great arena
At the half the Bearcats were shooting 10-22 from 3, but they finished 13-39 (3-17 in the 2nd half).

After SSU cut it to 7, it went right back up to 22 (86-64) over about 5 minutes in the middle of the 2nd half. If they can score quickly like they did there, then you can live with some defensive lapses. Against the best teams on their schedule (UCLA, UF, XU, Wichita St) the defense will need to be better, but they can score (might be Mick's best scoring team) and they have decent depth.

UC was getting crushed by the zone for the first eight or so minutes of the first half. My God that was ugly. If any of UC's opponents can play a decent zone, UC will still struggle to score.

I was there today, the arena is obviously great but parking was a bit of a nightmare. Took forever just to get into NKU from 471, then the main lot next to the arena was full and we had to park about a half mile away. My 87 year old grandpa was not happy about that. I imagine this will get much better as that's the only weekday game of the year I think, and most of the commuters will be gone in the evening for the rest of the games. But if you plan on going allow for at least an extra 20 minutes to park. Still, this place is a million times better than US Bank.

Things I liked yesterday..

-Evans aggressively looking to score

-Broome's hot shooting to close the 1st half

-Jennifer taking care of the ball and his athletic finishes at the rim

-Williams getting to the rim, what an athlete

-Nsoseme's nose for the ball

-Moore finding his shot again after a rough Embry Riddle game.

-Clark taking lead in the 2nd half after a rough 1st half

They only allowed 0.84 points per possession. They won't play another team that plays at that pace for the rest of the season.

They couldn't shoot: 44 3's,vast majority wide open, 29%
The interior defense was fine, helped by their lack of size.

UC cooled off a lot and only scored 55 in the half. If they can score 100 tonight it'd be the first time in school history they've scored 100 in three straight games.

UC beats Wyoming 78-53 to win the Cayman Islands Classic. Wyoming was clearly the second beat team in the tournament but did not put up the least bit of a fight going down 20-2 right away. Gary Clark was named tournament MVP.