St. Xavier Bombers 2016: Clifford or Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kid is a QB....I just dont see him being moved in College although WR is the landing spot for Qbs that dont work out. I do agree that you have to pay attention to the numbers game in College because a lot of good HS players don't find the field in College simply due to depth at certain positions as Birdog alludes to.

Jalin Marshall was a run first, run second, run 3rd, throw 4th QB in high school and much more athletic than Clifford. I'm not even going to touch the Ted Ginn Jr comparison. :Ohno:

I was not attempting to compare 2 people who are incomparable . I was simply pointing out how kids at times play different positions in college than they did in high school. Even Massa (20-4 as starter) became WR at Notre Dame. He may have never started but they moved him.

And I'm pointing out that those guys weren't really QBs, they were the best athlete and their HS coaches wanted the ball in their hands. Clifford is a QB.

And I'm pointing out that those guys weren't really QBs, they were the best athlete and their HS coaches wanted the ball in their hands. Clifford is a QB.

Just like Gus Ragland at Miami. Coaches tried to make him into a running back but he truly thrives as a QB. I believe that Clifford is as much a QB as Ragland. Probably could be THE GUY at a MAC school if he chooses to do so. Might have to pay some serious dues as a Nittany Lion. I wish the kid well. He is a gamer no doubt. GBM

There is no point trying to debate BB94 on the finer points of football. He literally understands the game less than my 8 year old.

Yes.
The only other position Clifford could play at the collegiate level is long snapper.
LS may be his NFL ticket

Yes.
The only other position Clifford could play at the collegiate level is long snapper.
LS may be his NFL ticket

I would tend to agree, but with the following comment.

First, as you know, the reason why he got all of the scholarship attention in the first place was primarily due to his performance at the elite QB camps. Those camps are almost entirely about what you do throwing the ball (although I am sure they noted quickness/elusiveness). So, at least from a potential standpoint, he could be a world class pocket passer. That is why PSU offered and the elusiveness/running ability is likely just a bonus.

As far as what he could do at other positions is difficult to know because I really don't know how fast or quick he is compared to comparable D1 skill position talent. As you (and anyone else who closely follows this team knows) his ability as a runner was almost entirely based upon his elusiveness/slipperyness as well as overall football acumen. And his elusiveness/slipperyness could pretty much be attributed to an ability to change directions and "get thin" when necessary. In other words, he has cornerback hips.

And while he is a little taller than ideal cornerback height (5'10 was the NFL average last I looked), the reason WHY NFL cornerbacks are so relatively short is because it is almost unheard of to have a guy much over 6 foot with the speed and the hips necessary to change directions the way a cornerback has to.

No, I am not suggesting he could be an NFL cornerback because I doubt he has the requisite speed. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure he could have been one heck of a cornerback for St. X and/or at the DII/DIII college level.

With respect to long snapping, I agree. Given the rules about hitting the long snapper, his slight build would not be a huge issue.

Sean Clifford finishes his StX career 4th on passing yardage list :clap:

1. Marty Mooney Jr (1999-2001) Career Totals: *419 for *754 (56%) for *6,511 yards and *71 TDs/*34 INTs

2. Greg Frey (1983 and 1985) Career Totals: 266 for 531 (50%) for 4,147 yards and 38 TDs/23 INTs

3. Nick Tensing (2012-13) Career Totals: 366 for 627 (58%) for 4,030 yards and 33 TDs/17 INTs

4. Sean Clifford (2014-16) Career Totals: 359 for 629 (57%) for 4,004 yards and 30 TDs/14 INTs

5. Mike Healey (1986-87) Career Total: 221 for 421 (52%) for 3,270 yards and 6 TDs/19 INTs

6. Joe Sprengard (1993-95) Career Totals: 212 for 460 (46%) for 3,150 yards and 33 TDs/27 INTs

7. Luke Massa (2007-2009) Career Totals: 250 for 401 (*62%) for 2,927 yards and 24 TDs/14 INTs

8. Jayson Arling (1996-97) Career Totals: 192 for 371 (52%) for 2,554 and 39 TDs/9 INTs

* denotes school record

Wolf is playing.
Clifford is not playing.

There are 14 football players that are playing basketball (only 1 is a senior).
All will start on varsity football at some time.

Freshmen: QB Will Dolle, DL Garren Carter, DE Keegan Gormley, TE Marshall Lange, LB Noah Taylor and QB Wyatt Hudepohl

Sophomore: WR *Jared Kreimer, LB *Tom Kiessling, WR *Nathan Stockman, RB *Chris Payne

Junior: WR *Andrew Wittrock, QB *Chase Wolf and DE *Bobby Jefferson

Senior: FS *Pete Rumpke

*listed on varsity basketball roster

http://www.stxavier.org/page.cfm?p=2533&teamID=8&display=Roster

Last edited:
Several of these players are going to play football in college.
That is why you see more playing basketball as freshmen and less in the upper grades.
This year's breakdown is 6-4-3-1 (Frosh-Soph-Jr-Sr).

Of next year's seniors Wolf and Jefferson already have D1 scholarship offers.
Should Wittrock follow up a solid junior year (50 catches for 569 yards and 9 TDs) with a stellar senior year he may receive offers as well.

I would be surprised if any of those 3 play basketball senior year after making a verbal commitment to play college football on scholarship.

I believe only a handful of StX grads have gone on to play college basketball in the past 10 years..........the late Joel Cornette (Butler), his brother Jordan (Notre Dame), Walt Gibler (Loyola), Brad Loesing (Wofford), Erik Stenger (NKU/XU) and Rod Mills (Miami).

In the past 10 years more than 70 Bombers have gone on to play football in college.

Several of these players are going to play football in college.
That is why you see more playing basketball as freshmen and less in the upper grades.

This year's breakdown is 6-4-3-1 (Frosh-Soph-Jr-Sr).

Of next year's seniors Wolf and Jefferson already have D1 scholarship offers.
Should Wittrock follow up a solid junior year (50 catches for 569 yards and 9 TDs) with a stellar senior year he may receive offers as well.

I would be surprised if any of those 3 play basketball senior year after making a verbal commitment to play college football on scholarship.

I believe only a handful of StX grads have gone on to play college basketball in the past 10 years..........the late Joel Cornette (Butler), his brother Jordan (Notre Dame), Walt Gibler (Loyola), Brad Loesing (Wofford), Erik Stenger (NKU/XU) and Rod Mills (Miami).

In the past 10 years more than 70 Bombers have gone on to play football in college.

That doesn't make any sense. The best college coaches (Meyer, Saban, Swinney, etc) advocate for their athletes to be two sport athletes. But maybe that's why so few St. X kids are going to major D1 programs and more along the lines of Ashland, Eastern Michigan, Akron, etc.

That doesn't make any sense. The best college coaches (Meyer, Saban, Swinney, etc) advocate for their athletes to be two sport athletes. But maybe that's why so few St. X kids are going to major D1 programs and more along the lines of Ashland, Eastern Michigan, Akron, etc.

Maybe Coach Lallathin, Coach Specht and the recruiters can convince the upperclass football players who are committed to play football in college to continue to play basketball for StX all 4 years. :shrug:

Maybe Coach Lallathin, Coach Specht and the recruiters can convince the upperclass football players who are committed to play football in college to continue to play basketball for StX all 4 years. :shrug:

Doesn't have to be basketball. But sure. Maybe they might go to a real university to play football.

Doesn't have to be basketball. But sure. Maybe they might go to a real university to play football.

I guess if your only requirement was going to a "real" university (couldn't find that list) and you were discounting college location, coaching staff, academics, your interest of major, league/opponents, potential playing time, ancillary costs, current acquaintances attending and so on and so on and so on

I guess if your only requirement was going to a "real" university (couldn't find that list) and you were discounting college location, coaching staff, academics, your interest of major, league/opponents, potential playing time, ancillary costs, current acquaintances attending and so on and so on and so on

You're right about the bold. Clearly St. X kids want to play against pretty pathetic competition. As for the underlined, you're right. There are no close by major universities that offer quality football with good academics with a wide variety of majors. Damn if only there was an Ohio State or Michigan within a few hours driving distance.....

What does't make sense? It is common sense. You really think Saban and Meyer want to compete for these kids time and attention with another sport? Seriously?

Given that both have said they want their recruits to participate in multiple sports, yes. Or did you miss that part of the post that you quoted?

For idiots like Blue Rhino who can't read

Huh????????????????????That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. D1 football players live, breath, eat and drink football practices, meetings, workouts, film, team meetings, team sponsored functions, team dinners etc and also by the way have to study and go to class. They have ZERO time to do anything other than that much less participate in a different sport....that is insane what you are saying. I have a son playing College ball now and I'm telling you if they said that they didn't mean it.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, Dabo, Kelly, Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, etc. all said it but they were lying, for no reason at all. It doesn't benefit them in anyway to lie about that, but they are. Good god you're an idiot.

That's probably why he's playing at Little Sisters of the Poor D3 school and not a high D1 school. Shouldn't have been an idiot and specialized him.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, Dabo, Kelly, Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, etc. all said it but they were lying, for no reason at all. It doesn't benefit them in anyway to lie about that, but they are. Good god you're an idiot.

That's probably why he's playing at Little Sisters of the Poor D3 school and not a high D1 school. Shouldn't have been an idiot and specialized him.

Who is this toolbox? What's he doing on here? More importantly, how do we get rid of him?

Lord Have Mercy, is that you Obama?

:laugh: Solid retort. Please provide me a quote of any high level D1 coach saying they want their athletes specialized.

Those coaches are talking about high school athletes....they are not referring to College athletes.

Right. Which is what both I and Reload were talking about......how the hell could you possibly think we were talking about college athletes based on what Reload and myself said?

Status
Not open for further replies.