Duel Meet

That would be fun to see... I think SW Ohio would dominate this meet.

If we assumed only 18U swimmers, my top 5 would be:

1. Cincinnati Marlins
2. Dayton Raiders
3. Northern Kentucky Clippers
4. Mason Manta Rays
5. Ohio State Swim Club

That would be fun to see... I think SW Ohio would dominate this meet.

If we assumed only 18U swimmers, my top 5 would be:

1. Cincinnati Marlins
2. Dayton Raiders
3. Northern Kentucky Clippers
4. Mason Manta Rays
5. Ohio State Swim Club

Marlins wouldn't be in the top 5. Besides the Mcdonalds and Cara Norris i dont see many elite swimmers on their squad. Countryside just added Alisabeth Marstellar and Temarie Tomley to the team. Put them on a team with both slabe's, Grant House, Kevin George, Kahmann, and a number of talented swimmers that squad will be hard to beat.

1. Dayton Radiers
2. Countryside
3. Manta Rays
4. NKC
5. OSSC

You may be right... but didn't the Marlins just dominate JOs for like the fourth straight year? I was considering all age groups... not just the older kids.

But as I said, it would be fun to watch.

I didn't know Alisabeth went to Countryside! Best wishes to her and her family there. Very nice people so it's a great addition to your team!

1. I assumed ALL age groups, not just HS swimmers. If you include the age group swimmers, the Marlins, OSSC and the Clippers would dominate nearly every younger age group. If you designate all of the events in this sort of virtual meet as OPEN then yes, the order would be very different and the Marlins wouldn't be in the top 5.

2. XSwimming1, if you think the HS age swimmers on the NK Clippers suck, you are either trolling or incompetent. They have a slew of great swimmers including: Robbie Newman, Mike Summe, Jake Lentsch, Brendan Meyer, Jack Johnson, Austin Haney, Zach Smith on the boys side and Sharli Brady, Sophie Skinner, Mikayla Herich, Amanda Smith, Ann Davies, Mallory Beil, Madeleine Vonderhaar, Sammy Huffman, Abby Shoyat on the girls side.

That's a partial list with alot of National level cuts and doesn't even count graduates from this past year who are swimming on scholarship at D1 powerhouse schools.

I've got nothing but respect for the ability of the Clippers kids.

from the columbus side of things i think you have to put in just a senior meet gcsto right there but especially uasc their girls alone would be right there and with trace, newcome and others their boys would help some.

On the Men's side:

1. Dayton Raiders
2. Countryside YMCA
3. Northern KY Clippers
4. Cincinnati Aquatic Club
5. Mason Manta Rays/Cincinnati Marlins

Let me start by saying the Dayton Raiders are BY FAR #1 on this list. Brock Turner, Henrik Pohlman, Tommy Cope, and Jackson Higgins stack this men's team. Next, the Countryside boys are also very strong in the freestyle department from the 50 all the way to the 1650. Some solid IM times too coming from that men's team. Northern Kentucky Clippers is considered in the OHIO LSC by USA Swimming so I'll include them. With names such as Brendan Meyer, Mike Summe, Chase Vennefron, Austin Haney, and Robby Newman I think they stack up even with Countryside YMCA. In a duel meet between those teams I think we could expect to see NKC dominate the non-free events while countryside would dominate the freestyle events, but Brendan Meyer would be in that freestyle mix. My #4 choice, Cincinnati Aquatic Club, was picked because of the names Sam Vester, Greg Nymberg, Cooper Hodge, and Jack Mantkowski. 3 guys under 51 in the 100 fly, Hodge's 200s and IMs, Mantkowski's mid-distance free, and Sam Vester's speed+relay clutchness. Not to mention Zach Fisher coming back this summer (Fish-Daddy this one's for you) Fisher was 20.6 in the 50 and 45.4 in the 100 in h/s. Mason Manta rays are another team like Countryside who just dominate the freestyle events. Seriously, dominate. Once again, lots of depth from the 50-1650 plus very good relays. Finally, I kinda just added marlins cause I felt bad, but the McDonalds are both good. Some very good age group kids but if we are going off the original prompt, 1:45 is not that good for an 18U 200 free. Don't get me wrong, that time is extraordinary for a 13-14 but just isn't gonna cut it for the Marlins in this fantasy meet.

from the columbus side of things i think you have to put in just a senior meet gcsto right there but especially uasc their girls alone would be right there and with trace, newcome and others their boys would help some.

Eh....... I think we can all agree that the Mason Manta Ray girls are pretty dominant. Volpenhein, Thatcher, Lofquist, Whitely, and Marsteller.

Here's a question: Does this come close to the Dayton Raiders' Brock Turner, Patrick Mulcare, Tommy Cope, Henrik Pohlman, Cliff Goertemiller, Brett Mackenzie, Jack Pohlman, and Colin Kanzari? That may be the best single-sex team in Ohio history, plus a JR. Nat Men's team title.

Eh....... I think we can all agree that the Mason Manta Ray girls are pretty dominant. Volpenhein, Thatcher, Lofquist, Whitely, and Marsteller.

Here's a question: Does this come close to the Dayton Raiders' Brock Turner, Patrick Mulcare, Tommy Cope, Henrik Pohlman, Cliff Goertemiller, Brett Mackenzie, Jack Pohlman, and Colin Kanzari? That may be the best single-sex team in Ohio history, plus a JR. Nat Men's team title.

Yes, because Ashley Volpenhein is on the team ;):banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :party:

In all seriousness, Dayton Raiders would dominate in any meet form. Countryside vs Clippers would be a really fun meet. I'm not exactly familiar with the clipper's squad, but do know the caliber of swimmers that have been named above. CY does have a lot of talented freestyle swimmers. In the 50 they have House, Westrick, and German who have all been under 21 in the 50 or who are more than capable of doing so (House). 100 free: They have several swimmers who are in the 46 low to high range plus house's 44.2. The 200 is the strongest event they have with 4 swimmers at or very near the 1:40 mark. They were 7:42 in the 800 free relay with 3 of their swimmers not having their best swims. The distant swimmers are elite as well with Slabe, House, and George.

I think CY holds their own in the non freestyle event with the exception of breastroke. They have 3 swimmers under 51 in the 100 fly, Krueger, Pelquen, House and Worobetz is an excellent backstroker with a 50. in the 100.

I'm intersted in how the clippers swimmers will hold up against those times.

In all seriousness, Dayton Raiders would dominate in any meet form. Countryside vs Clippers would be a really fun meet. I'm not exactly familiar with the clipper's squad, but do know the caliber of swimmers that have been named above. CY does have a lot of talented freestyle swimmers. In the 50 they have House, Westrick, and German who have all been under 21 in the 50 or who are more than capable of doing so (House). 100 free: They have several swimmers who are in the 46 low to high range plus house's 44.2. The 200 is the strongest event they have with 4 swimmers at or very near the 1:40 mark. They were 7:42 in the 800 free relay with 3 of their swimmers not having their best swims. The distant swimmers are elite as well with Slabe, House, and George.

I think CY holds their own in the non freestyle event with the exception of breastroke. They have 3 swimmers under 51 in the 100 fly, Krueger, Pelquen, House and Worobetz is an excellent backstroker with a 50. in the 100.

Best times vs. best times I'd take Countryside by a slim margin but in an in-season dual meet I'd take the clippers by a landslide.

They hold up just fine really... their weakest spot is sprint freestyle. Here are some times from last short course season:

50 free: Robbie Newman 21.78; Mike Summe 22.16
100 free: Chase Vennefron 47.46, Newman 47.47
200 free: Austin Haney 1:40.71; Zach Smith 1:41.60; Brendan Meyer 1:42.38
500 free: Meyer 4:32.63; Zach Smith 4:36.73
1650 free: Meyer 15:46.57
100 back: Meyer 51.14; Vennefron 52.41
100 breast: Vennefron 56.42; Summe 57.40; Haney 58.21
100 fly: Meyer 51.12; Newman 51.22; Vennefron 52.80; Lentsch 52.84
200 IM: Vennefron 1:52.68; Summe 1:53.14; Haney 1:54.60; Meyer 1:55.71

And that isn't counting Max Williamson who just graduated :)

I'm kinda shocked so few people on here know how good this group of Clippers boys are. We've seen them meet in and meet out with the RAYS over the past many years and I can assure you they are very tough indeed.

Can't forget about the GTAC team as well. GTAC is consistently in the top 6-8 at JO's and if you bring in the high school ages you have to include all of the St. Francis boys (Barone, Disalle, Sobczak, Gordon, Brodie, Borgman, etc.) and if you're talking about including recent graduates as well that would bring in DJ McDonald, Rowan Williams, Dan Disalle, Matt Zimmerman, Phil Barone, etc. People underestimate the Toledo Area frequently because they may not see the swimmers as often in a meet. St. Francis nearly knocking off X this year just goes to show what that team is capable of.

First time ever posting on the swimming forum, but I saw the title of this thread and I have to ask, did you mean a "duel" meet or a "dual" meet? Is a duel meet a term of the sport? Does one team swim until the other is dead in the water?

No, this just includes current swimmers. ZFish was just making a point. NWOhioAthletics, out of curiosity, how many junior cuts does GTAC have as a men's team? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to chime in on the debate.

No, this just includes current swimmers. ZFish was just making a point. NWOhioAthletics, out of curiosity, how many junior cuts does GTAC have as a men's team? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to chime in on the debate.

Barone, Brodie, and Sobczak have individual Jr. cuts. All relays would have them. This is not an excuse, but they would have more Jr. cuts, but were severely hampered last summer by the previous coach. They really did not have the opportunity to get long course cuts last summer. It will be very interesting to see how all of them perform this summer under Coach Ransom. Barone, Brodie, and DiSalle are going to The Ohio State University in the fall. This makes 7 swimmers from St. Francis that will be on the roster. 2 other swimmers swim for the school up north. As always, St. Francis produces some of the state's top talent and would perform well against all individuals and relays, but just not enough depth to compete with the bigger clubs on team titles.