Centerville ELKS on a roll!! Take on Northmont next.

Kyle_E_Woyote

Centerville Elks
Centerville has been on a roll this holiday season. First they beat the previously unbeaten Wayne Warriors 57-53. And most recently, obliterating Vamp2syd's point spread of 14.5, by beating Vandalia Butler by 23 points, 71-48.
The ELKS travel to take on the GWOC Central Division leading Northmont next, on the first Friday of the new year. Northmont is on a big roll themselves, now enjoying an 8 game winning streak. This divisional race is a tight one, with the title up for grabs. So next Friday we'll see whether it's Centerville or Northmont, who can keep their roll going!

Cupps always prepares his team's for their opponent. He does a great job with scouting and taking away other teams strengths. If the Elks buy in to his system they will reap the benefits.

From what I've read, Coach Cupps has had a successful coaching career. Now in his first season with Centerville, I believe Coach Cupps is the type of person that his players can respect. This, along with his winning ways, is why his players will buy into his system of play. Obviously this has been paying off. It can take time for the players to get use to a new system and coach. And as this season has progressed, so have the ELKS.

Last edited:
He seems to be an excellent teacher of the game. Constructive. Positive. Players want to play hard, create opportunities, and are not afraid to fail. More entertaining basketball - win or lose - than under the prior regime.

More entertaining basketball - win or lose - than under the prior regime.

This is an interesting statement. Are there Centerville fans who would really take a nice coach who entertains them but loses over a rougher coach who has a boring style but wins a lot of games and championships? Not saying Cupps won't win big, just questioning the mindset behind this stmt

Not sure why Centerville fans were so cold on Staley. I think the man coached to the talent he had. When he had better players and athletes....he had a running team. That team a few years back with Rhoda and Spears got it up and down the court as well as any team in the dayton area, and went into the regionals IIRC.

He has not had the overall talent the past few years and played a slower brand of ball, but he still was successful...and a pretty darn good HS coach.

Last edited:
Centerville has won two of their last four games. If that is being on a roll, then Northmont must be absolutely on fire, on a nine game win streak. :p

I said Centerville has been on a roll this holiday season. They've won two in a row, starting with their big win over the previously undefeated Wayne. I also said that Northmont has been on a big roll, winning eight (now 9) in a row. What's your beef? :shrug: Trying to start another arguement with someone over nothing on this thread too?

Not sure why Centerville fans were so cold on Staley. I think the man coached to the talent he had. When he had better players and athletes....he had a running team. That team a few years back with Rhoda and Spears got it up and down the court as well as any team in the dayton area, and went into the regionals IIRC.

He has not had the overall talent the past few years and played a slower brand of ball, but he still was successful...and a pretty darn good HS coach.

Agreed

Happy New Year everyone, and ...

Happy New Year to the Centerville ELKS!! May this roll continue into this new year, and beyond!!

OK, after getting the inside scoop on why Staley was let go, I can see why it happened. I can see where people on the outside, like myself, would not understand why he would be let go. After hearing from someone who lived thru the last few years Staley was there...I can now see why.

OK, after getting the inside scoop on why Staley was let go, I can see why it happened. I can see where people on the outside, like myself, would not understand why he would be let go. After hearing from someone who lived thru the last few years Staley was there...I can now see why.

There have been people in Centerville who have been consistent in their desire to get rid of him from the 90's, through the 10 year run and until the end. If your opinion changed that drastically after talking to one person "who lived through it" you may want to expand your sample to get a better idea of the truth.

CUPPS : STALEY :: CREAN: KNIGHT

Sad to see successful coaches shown the door, but times have changed and new approaches become necessary.

CUPPS : STALEY :: CREAN: KNIGHT

Sad to see successful coaches shown the door, but times have changed and new approaches become necessary.

So by this reasoning alone it is time for Joe Staley to be replaced as well. Look at the job he is doing this year after losing 99% of his production from last year. Alan Mack at Miami East plays 95% zone (and has for years) and just keeps winning. Time for change? Alter went 12-11 in '10 and 10-12 in '12. Should they have changed? 7-0 this year.

What changes to high school basketball do you feel necessitate new approaches?

The AAU circuit for one. High school basketball is becoming more and more of an AAU type of game with kids coming and going. Transfers at all different types of schools are much more common now than they were 10-20 years ago.

Every Centerville thread this year has turned eventually into a Cupps versus Staley debate. Can't we just let this go and focus on the present and future? I'm pretty sure this thread was supposed to be Centerville versus Northmont and not Staley versus Cupps.

Aau

The AAU circuit for one. High school basketball is becoming more and more of an AAU type of game with kids coming and going. Transfers at all different types of schools are much more common now than they were 10-20 years ago.

Are you kidding me...High school basketball isnt anything close to AAU. Just because a kid moves from one school that has absolutely no opportunity for him to another school where he has opportunity is the rationale behind most moves.

Most AAU Elite teams usually have 10 A+ players whereas High School basketball might have 2-3 A+ players and the rest B to C level.

If you go to an Elite AAU tournament you will see at least 50 D1 head coaches, not assistants, evaluating players. They go to AAU events because that what separates the best players in High School. A high school game simply doesnt show them anything.

High School basketball will always be high school basketball. It's fun for the kids, the fans, and the leagues. Some years one school will dominate and other years another school will dominate. It's all about the group of kids that are in a particular school at that time. :soapbox:

Having graduated from IU in the early 90's, I was able to see the cracks in the program several years before the big decline. Knight intimidated many of the players (such as Damon Bailey) to the point where they were afraid to shoot the ball or make a mistake. Many highly touted high school players chose to go to OSU, MSU, Purdue, & Michigan rather than dealing with Knight, who was out of touch with the changing mentality of the high school/college player. Knight, without a doubt, needed to go. Coach K at Duke has all the knowledge of Knight, but knows how to treat his players. Crean is similar to Coach K in this regard.

I have observed Knight-like qualities in Staley. Centerville is one of the largest school district, which values sports, and has many talented players to chose from. Staley was not the only one who could have achieved success with Kavanaugh and Rhoda. I'm more impressed with a coach who can do more with less. The Knight style no longer works with today's players. IU fans recognize this. Stanley's style probably rubbed too many people the wrong way, leading to his demise. From what I've seen of Cupps, he appears very much in tune with the emotional needs of his players, similar to Coach K and Crean.

Perhaps the drop in the talent of this year's CHS team is due to the loss of talented players who gave up the sport rather than dealing with an unpleasant coach.

Staley was not the only one who could have achieved success with Kavanaugh and Rhoda. I'm more impressed with a coach who can do more with less. T

Not sure how long you have followed HS hoops in Dayton but he won with a lot less than Matt and Ben. He won 6 league championships and made it to at least the sectional final every year since 2000, many times with less talent than some other Dayton D1s. I have said from my first post on this subject, I'm not anti-Cupps at all and I don't wish to compare them, just to be one of the few Cville people that respects what he did for the program.

Stanley's style probably rubbed too many people the wrong way, leading to his demise. From what I've seen of Cupps, he appears very much in tune with the emotional needs of his players, similar to Coach K and Crean.

Perhaps the drop in the talent of this year's CHS team is due to the loss of talented players who gave up the sport rather than dealing with an unpleasant coach.

First, I wouldnt compare Staley to Knight or Cupps to Crean. Staley and Cupps are high school coaches and that is all they are. Second, if you talk to the many graduates of the Staley program you will find that many of his former players hold him in high regards. The real reason Staley is gone is because a few delusional parents didnt like that their little baby was getting yelled at or that their kid didnt play or make the team.

Did you forget that Cupps got a technical at the Fairmont game. Cupps success is yet to be determined. It will probably take a few years to compare the W's and the L's to see what he is all about.

Regarding talent. What is that all about...Staley was gone, public knowledge, so if any kid wanted to play he could have gone out for the team and play for a new coach. From what I hear, they have all the talent anyone could ask for. It is up to Cupps to coach them and be successful.

Second, if you talk to the many graduates of the Staley program you will find that many of his former players hold him in high regards.

No player on his last three teams held him in "high regard"......well one player from those teams held him in high regard. At least he should. It's the only coach who wouldn't cut him. :banana:

Can ALL centerville fans please quit arguing over coaches on every centerville thread?! No one wants to hear you guys go back and forth on every thread! For Christ's sake, no one cares about your arguments!

The ELKS finished off the year on a very positive note, with their big surprise win over previously unbeaten Wayne. Then with this momentum, beat Butler by 23 points, to finish off 2012. Now with the ELKS facing their division leading rival Northmont, we'll see if this momentum can continue against the Bolts. Of course, Northmont's Bolts have been on a momentus ride since December 4, winning 9 straight games. At 9-1, Northmont had an opening season loss to Xenia.
I wanted to check Northmont to see how tough of a schedule they've had so far. Out of their 10 games, only 4 of their opponents have winning records so far this season. I also checked out Centerville's opponents. The 6-3 ELKS, of their 9 opponents so far, only one of them has a winning record. And wouldn't you know it, that team is Wayne (who the ELKS recently beat).